What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Sphagnum Moss Propagation

i get this brownish sphagnum from lowes. i dont remember if its Mosser lee(or whatever its called) but it come in an upright rectangle package. anywho i always get live sphagnum moss from this stuff after about a month. works pretty well.
Alex

It's probably Mosser Lee, I bought a couple bags from Lowe's on New Year's Eve.

Mosser lee LFS stinks IMO. It is all dirty looking and compacts VERY easy in my experience. Lowes sells two different types of LFS. One is the Mosser lee brown dingy stuff. The other is the nice looking New Zealand stuff that looks pretty.

Don't feel bad. I have yet to be able to get live LFS started fromt he dead stuff either. I have just been lucky enough to recicve some live stuff from plant trade that I have a small start so far. I do find you have to keep it wet to grow well.

Remind me this summer and I'll send whoever wants to pay for shipping some. Takes over the bog.

Yeah I have noticed that the mosser lee stuff is ugly... New Zealand is all soft and fluffy. I think I'm going to go out and buy some New Zealand moss and switch to that, just because.

I've never seen the NZ moss at the Lowe's around here. A few of the local orchid nurseries carries it but at 3-5x the price of a bag of Mosser Lee.

I use the mosser lee brand from Lowes and I have had some green sprouts from it, but it never really grew. I probably don't keep it damp enough

Not a number. Look around where the orchid baskets are kept. The mosser lee stuff is for a soil addative the new zealand will be by the slat baskets and I think it is better grow brand. The company who says we know orchids because we grow orchids. It is the samebrand as the orchid bark lowes sells. Most all the lowes should stock the same things. It is there, but it is in a different spot than the mosser lee crap. I;m sorry, but that stuff is crap compaired to the new zealand stuff. I used to use the mosser lee because it was cheaper, but once I started getting the fluffy newzealnad stuff I will never go back. It looks so much better and doesn;t compact as fast. You will be amazed. The mosser lee stuff is also chilean shagnum and not new zealand sphag.

That's where the Mosser Lee stuff is at my local Lowe's with all the orchid/basket stuff (Spanish & Green Moss etc.), but I'll look again.

The Mosser Lee stuff is from Wisconsin (or at least that's what it says on the back of the package.) Unless by Chilean you mean what TYPE it is?

Yes, the bags I bought says it domestic stuff from Wisconsin. Has pretty good color too, nice faded greens, yellows, reds and orange. Looks almost live if I mist it.

Mine is just....brown... and ugly... and brown... the whole bottom layer of the bag is just dust, lol. I gotta not breathe that stuff in, it's evil.

I've had live LFS sent to me from a couple of forum members, but have also been successful with propogating it from the bags I bought from Home Depot and Lowes. Basically, the spores in there lead to living material, given enough moisture, light, and time. Here's an example of the live from the dried:

AF002101.jpg

Yeah that is cool. What are those drosera in there? Kinda sorta looks like filiformis but it kinda sorta doesn't.

Those were D. graminifolia (Spriralis), grown from seed, picture taken 2.5 years ago. I have one plant left.

Ahhh D. graminifolia. I've been looking at that one for a while and I still couldn't ID it. x_x;

Anywho, I was gonna go to home depot today but I was lazy and didn't want to wake up.. so I just woke up when I had to leave for work and at lunch break I ventured deep into the garden center that my work has and the only LFS I could find was Chilean but it LOOKS like New Zealand and it's also soft. I'm going to use it for some newly acquired nep seeds. Maybe I'll get some sprouts as well.

Well I went to two Lowe's in the area and all they had was Mosser Lee domestic LFS. I searched the garden and lawn and home decorating areas from stem to stern and there wasn't even a price card for NZ LFS in a vacant area on the racks. Must be there is no regional distributor that will give Lowe's a price they want on the stuff.

I've never seen NZ Sphagnum for sale in one of the chain stores :(

I think that Chilean moss is very very similar to New Zealand moss, I've dealt with both now and they're really similar. They're both soft and are a little red/pink in some spots. I think Chilean is a good substitute. ^^

ok I want to appolagize. The mosser lee stuff is Wisconsom Sphag I think Not possotive since I don't have a bag of it here. I hate their stuff. I just went out to my GH to get the bag of moss that I use normaly. The brand is Better-Gro and it is chilean Sphag, but it is a cream color where as mosser lee is a dingy brown.

The difference in New Zealand sphag and Chilean shag is the length of the fibers if I remember correctly from my OS meeting. Does anyone need a picture of the better grow bag of moss to know what to look for? You can also get a huge bale of it off ebay. A friend of mine ordered a couple off ebay and IIRC they were not that much. Probably cheaper than what I am paying for this Better-Gro stuff. I need to look into it too.

Back