0 Thread(s)
    no worries mate, just hollar if needed

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    Haaa, actually someone else just PM'd me with an offer so I took it just as an impulse. (I still greatly appreciate av8tor1's offer nonetheless.) I think I may still try to grow some from my dead LFS just as an experiment. Might just take a while. :/ I'll be sure to post when/if I do get some sprouts.
    I have a couple baggies of LFS sitting around too. I think one got cooked from direct sunlight though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You can never have enough live Sphagnum.

This summer I'm planning to go explorin' at some swamps (if I can find any). I'm hoping to find some wherever I go (among other things) since I originally had no idea that it grows here. Makes me wonder what CPs I can find out here....
    Wisconsin is where the Mosser Lee stuff is from. This woman I was speaking to last summer was from Wisconsin told me when they were kids/young teens her father would take them on hikes in the bogs near where they lived (she didn't name the town) but she said there were abundant sundews and pitcher plants.

You should be able to find something in your area.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of North American Sphagnum can be found in the Boreal region. Mainly the northern states, Canada and Alaska.
    Here the Appalacian bogs are almost gone, there is one that I know of but it is on protected land and pretty much kept quiet to prevent poaching. As far as I know it is the last area where they exist in Ky.

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will most definately be able to find SOMETHING I'm sure. I'm just worried that all the places around here are like closed off and you can't get in. :/ There's a couple places that I just can't seem to get a specific enough location to. Like Angel's Bogs in Lake Shore, MD.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i get this brownish sphagnum from lowes. i dont remember if its Mosser lee(or whatever its called) but it come in an upright rectangle package. anywho i always get live sphagnum moss from this stuff after about a month. works pretty well.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably Mosser Lee, I bought a couple bags from Lowe's on New Year's Eve.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mosser lee LFS stinks IMO. It is all dirty looking and compacts VERY easy in my experience. Lowes sells two different types of LFS. One is the Mosser lee brown dingy stuff. The other is the nice looking New Zealand stuff that looks pretty.

Don't feel bad. I have yet to be able to get live LFS started fromt he dead stuff either. I have just been lucky enough to recicve some live stuff from plant trade that I have a small start so far. I do find you have to keep it wet to grow well.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remind me this summer and I'll send whoever wants to pay for shipping some. Takes over the bog.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast