Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Live Sphagnum Moss Propagation

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had live LFS sent to me from a couple of forum members, but have also been successful with propogating it from the bags I bought from Home Depot and Lowes. Basically, the spores in there lead to living material, given enough moisture, light, and time. Here's an example of the live from the dried:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that is cool. What are those drosera in there? Kinda sorta looks like filiformis but it kinda sorta doesn't.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those were D. graminifolia (Spriralis), grown from seed, picture taken 2.5 years ago. I have one plant left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh D. graminifolia. I've been looking at that one for a while and I still couldn't ID it. x_x;

Anywho, I was gonna go to home depot today but I was lazy and didn't want to wake up.. so I just woke up when I had to leave for work and at lunch break I ventured deep into the garden center that my work has and the only LFS I could find was Chilean but it LOOKS like New Zealand and it's also soft. I'm going to use it for some newly acquired nep seeds. Maybe I'll get some sprouts as well.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I went to two Lowe's in the area and all they had was Mosser Lee domestic LFS. I searched the garden and lawn and home decorating areas from stem to stern and there wasn't even a price card for NZ LFS in a vacant area on the racks. Must be there is no regional distributor that will give Lowe's a price they want on the stuff.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen NZ Sphagnum for sale in one of the chain stores

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that Chilean moss is very very similar to New Zealand moss, I've dealt with both now and they're really similar. They're both soft and are a little red/pink in some spots. I think Chilean is a good substitute. ^^
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok I want to appolagize. The mosser lee stuff is Wisconsom Sphag I think Not possotive since I don't have a bag of it here. I hate their stuff. I just went out to my GH to get the bag of moss that I use normaly. The brand is Better-Gro and it is chilean Sphag, but it is a cream color where as mosser lee is a dingy brown.

The difference in New Zealand sphag and Chilean shag is the length of the fibers if I remember correctly from my OS meeting. Does anyone need a picture of the better grow bag of moss to know what to look for? You can also get a huge bale of it off ebay. A friend of mine ordered a couple off ebay and IIRC they were not that much. Probably cheaper than what I am paying for this Better-Gro stuff. I need to look into it too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast