What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Sphagnum Moss Propagation

I did a search here for a place to get Live Sphagnum Moss and I read that you can grow live sphagnum from dead Long Fibered Sphagnum, but I've been using it for like 3 years now and I never get any live sphagnum growing out of it, I usually use it as a top dressing for my sarrs. Maybe it's just because they don't stay wet enough as a top dressing? BTW, I have a good source to buy LFS from but now I'm just curious as to how I can grow my own... since then I don't have to buy anything. :p

i seem to get live growth when using New Zealand LFS.
Try it in a covered bag, or pot and you should see some live growth after a few weeks.
Peter.

I have a very good source of LFS. It's in a ditch near my house. Matter of fact I have found hundreds of ditches with LFS growing in it.

Ozzy, I'm sure that's not the only joy of living in NC. >_>

Av8tor1, I'll save that as a favorite for later but I forgot to mention that I have absolutely no LFS right now. I originally had an N. sanguinea growing in pure LFS but the dog ate most of it. (It left the sanguinea though.) So, since I don't have any LFS I can't use the methods explained on that site, but thanks it'll help me when I actually get some. I think Sarracenia Northwest is my best bet so I'm going to start there if I can't get any of my own to sprout.

Pingman, not sure if the stuff I have is from New Zealand... nope it's from Wisconsin. The brand is Mosser Lee, I think this is the same kind that California Carnivores sells. I remember asking about this a while ago and someone said that the kind that you buy at Lowes and stuff is sterilized and that's actually exactly where I got it. It doesn't say that it's sterilized on the package... at least I don't think it does.. it's 3-years old.. a bit beat up.

Well, if you cant find any and need a starter just hollar...
I can usually spare a cup or two

Cheers'
Av

If you know where to look, it is everywhere.

i saw some within a few thousand feet from the seashore in maine, in a wet ditch. They may not be in very dense mats, but they are there

It's even colder in Maine so I would think that I could find some here, but it wouldn't be easy to find... I should research a bit.

Where I live it is very rare and on the state's endangered species list...
(S.E. Kentucky)

Av

Last edited:
I didn't think they would put that sort of thing on an endangered species list. It's not like it's endangered in all of the US. That's weird.

Family: Sphagnaceae

Protection Status:
State Status: E (endangered)
USFWS Status:

Global Rank: G5
State Rank: S1?

Habitat:
In KY, seeping sandstone outcrops.

Species Description:
Sphagnum moss.

Phenology:

Additional Information at NatureServe

Diagnostic Characteristics:

Management:
The habitat for this species is especially sensitive to changes in hydrology and not likely to withstand much alteration. Grazing or browsing pressure, vegetation removal, hydrologic changes (i.e. stream alterations road construction) would be detrimental.

Yep. I even found some in the old swamp where we used to go catching tadpoles and frogs in northwestern Penna.
Lois

Peter D'Amato in wrote that you can usually get live Sphagnum from LFS by placing some very wet LFS in a sealed plastic bag and keep it in a cool, bright area. With luck, after many weeks (he didn't say how many) live Sphagnum should sprout from any propagules in the LFS. He said even so-called sterilized LFS often sprouts.

California Carnivores usually sells starters. My sister bought a handful in October when she visited their nursery even though the website said it was out of stock. Apparently a couple of racoons got into their tub of Sphagnum moss and decimated it. They had it listed on their website last month. I would call them or email them, or take up av8tor1's offer for a starter.

Haaa, actually someone else just PM'd me with an offer so I took it just as an impulse. (I still greatly appreciate av8tor1's offer nonetheless.) I think I may still try to grow some from my dead LFS just as an experiment. Might just take a while. :/ I'll be sure to post when/if I do get some sprouts.

This summer I'm planning to go explorin' at some swamps (if I can find any). I'm hoping to find some wherever I go (among other things) since I originally had no idea that it grows here. Makes me wonder what CPs I can find out here....

no worries mate, just hollar if needed ;)

Haaa, actually someone else just PM'd me with an offer so I took it just as an impulse. (I still greatly appreciate av8tor1's offer nonetheless.) I think I may still try to grow some from my dead LFS just as an experiment. Might just take a while. :/ I'll be sure to post when/if I do get some sprouts.
I have a couple baggies of LFS sitting around too. I think one got cooked from direct sunlight though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You can never have enough live Sphagnum.

This summer I'm planning to go explorin' at some swamps (if I can find any). I'm hoping to find some wherever I go (among other things) since I originally had no idea that it grows here. Makes me wonder what CPs I can find out here....

Wisconsin is where the Mosser Lee stuff is from. This woman I was speaking to last summer was from Wisconsin told me when they were kids/young teens her father would take them on hikes in the bogs near where they lived (she didn't name the town) but she said there were abundant sundews and pitcher plants.

You should be able to find something in your area.

The majority of North American Sphagnum can be found in the Boreal region. Mainly the northern states, Canada and Alaska.
Here the Appalacian bogs are almost gone, there is one that I know of but it is on protected land and pretty much kept quiet to prevent poaching. As far as I know it is the last area where they exist in Ky.

Av

I will most definately be able to find SOMETHING I'm sure. I'm just worried that all the places around here are like closed off and you can't get in. :/ There's a couple places that I just can't seem to get a specific enough location to. Like Angel's Bogs in Lake Shore, MD.

Back