Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enjoy the warm weather!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy the warm weather!

Much of the Eastern US has returned to normal and below normal levels over the past week or so. After over 1 month of very mild weather, the pattern has finally changed. We have progressed into a pattern where there is a ridge over the West and a trough over the East. This mean that air from Canada is allowed to dip down into the Eastern US and keep us around normal readings, with occasional shots of cold air bringing many below normal. Well, it is going to get VERY cold in the Eastern 2/3rds of the country. By January 30 (plus or minus a few days) the polar vortex will move over the near Hudson Bay. What does this mean? This means we will develop a transpolar flow where air from Siberia flows across the North Pole, into Canada, and into the US. This means that by the end of this month/beginning of Febuary, many places will have extremely cold weather. With below normal levels of snow pack in the Northeast, the air probably will not be record breaking in most areas, but it will be very cold. Many places in the Northeast will see highs in the single digits to middle teens. The Midwest could see highs ranging from 0F to around -20F, depending on where you live. Lows could easily go as low as -60F in a few cold spots. Here is a computer model that shows what I am talking about. The yellow, orange, and red areas are temperatures WELL below zero. Overall, this looks like a very cold airmass that could break records in many places of the US.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been saying it for years. Canada and their Polar Vortexes can not be trusted.

Thanks a lot Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warm weather? Argh. We've had record lows here and many here have lost a sizeable part of their collection.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like how trippy that looks, and how they ended up going from hot back to hot colors for the cold colds...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    >_< West coast is still cold as can be. I've lost plants, growers have lost crops from it, and here you East coast bubs are going on about your warm weather. lol!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just very recently warmed up here from some pretty chilly temps. Glad to see its moving away from my area.

Its interesting these cold temps- they keep southeners in touch with reality
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been in the 80's here all winter - its supposed to cool down to the 70's over the next couple of days. I may have to take precautions and cover my tomato plants from the cold snap! Actually the last time we had a frost here was January of 2003, unfortunately that means the mosquitoes can breed year round and we don't get a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preeetty coloorrrsssss....................... that's all I see in that... x_x

It's been snowing lately here, I'd rather it stayed that way.

I like snow.

OMG OMG OMG!! 1,000th POST! I can't believe it took me over 4 years to get 1,000 posts. x_x
    Last edited by ChronoKiento; 01-23-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: OMG OMG 1000!
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast