Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your First Carnivorous Plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was 7 and i got my first VFT. but the CP that got me into the craze was an S. 'Judith Hindle' from Target labled as Cobra Lily. it survied the winter but died from damp off in spring
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess most of us had the vft first because we didnt know that there were other types of carnivorous plants.

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first carnie plant was also a VFTback in 1969 I bought it from a local Nursery near Beale AFB CA( about 50 mi NE of Sacramento).
    it had no growing instructions so I did all things wrong. Watered it with tap water, fed it hamburger.
    Then I reentered the wonderful world of carnie plants about 8 years ago.My first plant was a S. purpurea. the rest is history.
    I have been working on my grow list for 2 months, still not halfway done.
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually now that I think about it, when I was little (like 4 or 5) my dad once in a while would buy me a VFT (I don't know which one of us thought they were cool at the time) which of course lasted a couple weeks, then croaked. So... *my* first CP is as I mentioned above.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I placed an order for 2 VFT one was a red and one was a green along with a N. gracilis from black jungle. I killed them a few months later. Then I decided to try again when Kirk came over to TheOrchidSource and wanted to trade. He lead me here and I learned everything I know and the rest is history.

Sorry it was not Clint it was Kirk. Sorry clint!
    Last edited by JB_OrchidGuy; 01-29-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Had to edit something.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't me.

When Time Stood Still Metranisome's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow I remember it sooooo long ago when I was in first or second grade, on of my friends bought me a Venus fly trap and a Drosera capensis because I liked "weird" things.... they didn’t last long at all... maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but we did one thing right, we did put them outside in the sun!... Then we gave it fertilizer and tap water to make them grow big.... and I also fed it anything eatable.... so I guess they did well for there vile conditions...

It was much later, last year when I came across carnivores again! Well it was sort of a chain reaction! All started strangely enough by Animal Crossing Wild World! When you play that game if you town falls into disrepair (for not playing for a while) all kinds of weeds will grow including a giant rafflesiana flower! I knew you couldn’t really grow them outside there natural habitat so I decided to research them, then I didn’t know the name of the plant at the time so I looked up the world’s largest flower... I got to a website on Amorphophallus and instantly fell in love with them... I did as much research as I could on them but information is VERY scarce... even eBay sells are scarce so while I was on eBay I would look at plants that come up when I search for them and there was a link for Nepenthes... And it goes on and on from there! I ended up researching on Nepenthes and discovered my two Amorphophallus liked the same conditions as then so I decided to buy a N. Judith Finn" on eBay! Soon enough I was looking more at carnivores them Amorphophallus mainly because there is sooooo much more info on them! Luckily my “New” first carnivore is still alive! And I hope it does well in my now all CP tank with my carnivores which overwhelmed my other hobbies…

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I remember when I was about 7 or 8 we went to a carnivorous plant thingiedoodle at the Tennessee aquarium. They usually didn't let kids in but they let me! I made a bog garden with a few Sarrs and VFT and I was so proud on the way out the door I was climbing up the steps and DROPPED it!

Lol, they were nice and let me make a new one

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast