Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your First Carnivorous Plant?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first cp in about 1985. Of course it was a vft. I had heard they were hard to keep alive so I kept it in the shade so it wouldn't get too hot from direct sunlight. I caught flies for it and made sure it had one in every open trap. I gave it well water.

Then a few years later I got another one. This time I kept it inside on top of my AC unit where it could get some sunlight coming in from the window. Again I gave it well water.

They both died within weeks.

Now for the funny part of the story, I live in NC, the natural range of VFT's. All I had to do was throw them outside and not babied them so much and they would have gotten along just fine.

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got My first VFT four months ago. Now I got three sundews, a butterwort, a utricularia, 2 sarracenias, like 8 or 9 nepenthes, a cephalotus, and five other VFT's. Props to my old man for helpin' me out with the collection....ah VFT's or sweet....Why don't you wake up... ahh...
    ...peace
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most people, I had a VFT when I was a kid. I thought it was the coooolest thing. But of course it died because the instructions said to feed it hamburger and I watered it with tap. Then 6-7 years ago I decided to try one since I had all kinds of plants. Thanks to the internet, I learned how to care for it properly. VFTs do well here in VA.

One flytrap was all it took. I discovered you could buy other CPs and I was off and running.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my reserch first. I got D. aliciae and D capensis, along with P moranensis (died) the rest are still alive
    that makes no logic

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I did my reserch first. I got D. aliciae and D capensis, along with P moranensis (died) the rest are still alive

It's easy to do research now. All you have to do is Google what you want to know. Think about how hard it was before the Internet. You have to try and find a book with the info. Either at the library or to find one for sell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first CP was a N. x ventrata.
    I killed it.
    Second plant:
    N. ventrata
    I killed it.
    Third:
    D.muscipula
    Killed it.
    And then I got a whole bunch of 8 different plants.
    I killed them all :P
    Then I did a little research and ordered 8 new plants from germany.
    And here I am. With over 30 different neps and 10 different droseras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy to do research now. All you have to do is Google what you want to know. Think about how hard it was before the Internet. You have to try and find a book with the info. Either at the library or to find one for sell.

It was not a shot at everyone else. There were resources and i used it. So? I was just saying that it wasnt a impulse buy.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it was actually S. minor and some local sundews that I found in my back yard in NE Florida back in the day when I was a wee babe (early 90's. rofl ). I knew what they were because I was a nerd, and I had an interest but I had no clue where to get any sort of bug eating plants in the days before the interweb, so I was THRILLED to find some in our rather ample back yard.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast