Likes Likes:  0
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course.

But families are not distinguished as a unit in the tax system, therefor, it sees you as individuals and spouse unions, and treats you as such. This is a matter of disagreement with how the system works (and i do not know anything about it beyond what i have stated anyways, so i couldnt continue if i wished to), so im done aswell.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer that the government stat out of my life as much as possible. The more laws and regulations that are cast over us, the less free we become as a people. Even if those laws have the best intentions, in my opinion they are not what the founding fathers had in mind when the envisioned our country

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dutch are the freest people in the world

The "Land of the free" Isn't really free.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch money is not suposed to be taxxed twice. So I agree with Clint. Also the government is not supossed to accualy be withholding taxes as it is currently done. The government DUPED society into going to the withholding system we have now by telling them they would not have to pay taxes that one year, but they lied. Yeah you didn;t pay taxes that year, but you paid for the taxes for that year the following year. I learned about it in my government class. We were DUPED. And besides Finch. Estate taxes does double tax that money. If your grandmother made that money she already paid taxes on it. So why should it be taxed again when she dies and passes it on to you? You do not pau taxes on money just given to you do you? Or do you make a note of all the money given to you so you can claim it on your taxes? It is just not right. when your talking about keeping it in the family. I could understand if you earned money as wages, but those to me are nto wages. Its like a gift. Any who this is why I think we should go to the national sales tax. We wouldn't have all this BS and the government would have far more money than they have now.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we need one government and one currency for the whole world. It would really make things easier.

I guess the government considers inheritance "unearned income".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should I pay income taxes to earn what I've earned by age 45 and not if I just inherited it? One I've worked for; the other I do nothing for other than to be born into a wealthier family. It's the same with capital gains, dividends, interest and so on. Income on capital should be subject to taxation just like income on labor is. Even wealth should be taxed because a lot of public spending goes into maintaining it.

As for a national sales tax, one problem is that sales are more volatile than income. CT's tax receipts went through a huge boom & bust cycle when it relied on a higher sales tax with no income tax (pre-1991). It still has a boom whenever those people down towards NYC cash in on their stocks and bonuses, but it's much steadier than it used to be. The other problem with going to a sales tax is that wealthy people spend a lower percentage of their income on taxable things, so a sales tax just shifts even more of the tax burden away from those most able to pay taxes.

Maybe I'd think shielding the wealthy from taxes is good if I thought wealth and income reflect on a person's higher value to society, but no rational person can believe that. I don't know what you make, Josh, but I guarantee your value to society is much greater relative to your income than that of a Wall Street trader. Our economic system is all out of whack, with the guys in suits making much more than the people who actually do everything. There's no plausible way of fixing that, but progressive income tax rates and taxes on estates and capital gains help level the playing field.

And, by the way, people are required to pay taxes on gifts, although there's an amount you can be given tax-free in a year.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, IMO, taxes on gifts are ABSURD! That's just STUPID! For me, the estate tax isn't about how much you are inheriting. If you inherit 10K or 100 million, you shouldn't be taxed IMO. This, for me, isn't about shielding the wealthy from taxes, it's about not having an estate tax lol. I say tax the hell out of the wealthy if you want, but make it fair. For me, I don't think taxing inheritance is fair. I remember something where the poor are taxed higher than the wealthy (wish I could remember what that is called) and I think that's BS, too.

I totally agree. The most important people are teachers because they give kids a future. They don't get paid nearly enough.

All this crap about wealth.. jeez I never considered myself "wealthy" I think that the seperation between upper and lower class and social stigmas is pretty bad right now. I say let's all just be friends and help each other out and donate to charity, no matter what we have we can ALL donate a little something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Quogue said, "I do think society will be able to cooperate without laws someday, we're still young in our development, dinosaurs were around for how long? Maybe some day people will be responsible and civilized enough to not have to be told what to do, they will do the right thing on their own. I have faith in humanity."

I say, why wait? Let's do an experiment now, where Quogue lives. Unless it's in CT. Let's eliminate all traffic laws, remove all traffic lights, stop signs and even scrub the stripes off the streets. Let's see how well people do the right thing on their own. I say it'll work like an unregulated economy. Some people way out ahead of where they would otherwise have been, others trying to be fair and cooperative, and lots of collateral damage.
    Are you trying to insult me and say "not in my backyard" in the same statement?