Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on everyone, lets just get along ! Quit all this thinking and debating and bickering, it's bad for our childrens development. We need to let our elected officials, whom we elected by the way, decide what is best for everyone. Just fall in line and accept what is going to be the ultimate outcome anyway. Individuality only causes CONFUSION and DIVISION.

UP with the underwear conformity, Down with individualism !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been an interesting thread to follow (I just read it all). I love to see people scrutinizing our government (just wish you heard it more often from more people). It is a very unusual thing for me to say, but I guess the "ban" on certain light bulbs doesn't bother me at all. It was said earlier but not fully driven home that: rather than looking at something like this as a ban on your personal freedom to choose a bulb, look at it as setting higher standards of efficiency for the manufacturing sector. One of the big reasons we are in this environmental crisis is due to extremely low standards on energy efficiency in all its many forms, no matter how big or small. I would guess without reading the proposed bill that it disallows the sale of bulbs not meeting certain efficiency criteria. This is fine and in my opinion necessary. I think that large corporations (or small ones) who knowingly produce products that use a lot more energy to do something than other similar products should be regulated. Putting market pressure on light bulb manufacturers state by state would gradually give large companies a choice to either switch over to more responsible designs or slowly go out of business.
    As far as the weight standards for modelling, this just gets into a big problem in our population of not being in control of yourself-- it's not a problem that can be fixed by legislations. I guess I would sooner place a ban on overeating than undereating if I were feeling ban happy on food issues. Why is it considered an acceptable weakness to compulsively overeat? Quit stuffing your fat mouth! Quit it! I don't care if it sounds insensitive. I say the same type of thing to friends who smoke, drink too much, do too many drugs, drive recklessly. I try to personally hold people who are within my sphere accountable for themselves and their actions. I think there is not enough of this accountability pressed in social spheres or else there would not be a lot of these major issues up for legislative control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    I propose complete anarchy, no rule of law what so ever. No police, no military, no gov't, every human for themselves.
    Agreed, kinda like what Crass was talkin bout all those years ago... anarchy and peace. People living responsibly with complete freedom and respecting others and cooperating with one another. Will take awhile for society to be able to handle itself, but I think some day it will.

Or do you really mean every man for himself and fires and riots and alla that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schloaty View Post
    Also, I think the person with this idea is trying to deal with the world as he or she thinks it should be, rather than how it is.
    Yeah, there's alotta those types in NYC & L.I. politics.... cause they know better than we do, they should "guide" us for we would be lost without them.
    Cuomo said something to that effect when he was governer of NY.
    Those are the condescending politicians I like the least, maybe even worse than the corrupt ones..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's alotta those types in NYC & L.I. politics.... cause they know better than we do, they should "guide" us for we would be lost without them.
    Cuomo said something to that effect when he was governer of NY.
    Those are the condescending politicians I like the least, maybe even worse than the corrupt ones..
    Its not just them, the midwest and texas and such also have passed some astonishingly restricting laws as well
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, so much for the freedom I enjoyed growing up with. Hope the rest of you can deal with it. My father is depressed. He cannot believe he fought for freedom and liberty in World War 2 only to have it come down to a police state, and using psychological tricks to enslave a nation. Oh, well! Like Father, like Son!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know.. The problem is that people abuse their freedoms. There wouldnt be a need to have all these laws if people could govern themselves. Its not like politicians just sit in their offices dreaming up ways to take away our liberties. Enough people out there have abused things enough that it has become necessary to find a way to curb those behaviors. Since the people can not do it for themselves the government has to step in and do it for them. I blame poor upbringing for the way things are now..
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal opinion is that the government should only "encourage" people to be more responsible, and not punish them for being irresponsible. For example, perhaps if you're pulled over not wearing a seatbelt, you get a citation that only goes to your insurance company. You aren't fined, but you may not be eligible for certain insurance discounts. Or if you use the kind of lights that California wants you to use, you're eligible for a tax break.

This is a tough issue for me personally, because I see people on other forums all the time about how "stupid" it is to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. I guess it is their decision to make, but it saddens me that there are so many people who actually want to do this. I'm also conflicted on whether I'd support a graduated licensing system as well, but at the moment I'm in favor of it.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast