Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban-Crazy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ban-Crazy

Just heard on the News (WQXR New York Times Classical Station) that a politician in California wants to ban the common light bulb because it's too inefficient and force everyone to use CF's.
    Also read in the paper that in NYC (where I work) politicians want to set a standard for the weight of models for fear it is causing eating disorders in people trying to emulate the "look"
    Which would virtually guarantee the collapse of one of NYC's biggest industries.

OK, I believe that we live in a free country and that goverment meddling is eroding our freedoms. But when it comes to assinine things like these I think "they're going way too far now"

No links yet, I'll try an find some and edit this post and include them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quogue, If they can force you to wear a seatbelt, disguising in the form of "It'll save lives!", and take away your choice to live through an accident , or die in one (no seatbelt), then freedom of choice no longer exists. Out de window. I hear all kinds of excuses from people that its a good idea, but I considered that the first infraction of my personal choises. ME, I wear the seatbelt because I understand its value. NO ONE had to tell me that. BUT, to be forced by a law to comply----well, I drew the line THAT day! Our first freedom of choice taken over by a Government that has a lot more than that in mind for its people. Remember the people?? The folks who are supposed to run this outfit?? Well, there too busy playing with their toys, or chasing around, rather than keeping a watchful eye on the crooks over us. I am in NO way suprised by the further assininity put on our shoulders by a Goverment that does not listen to those who own them. Now, the corporations run this country, and it gets more evident everyday. America no longer exists. At least, not the one I grew up in. This is more like Pre-Nazi Germany. I am an avid student of History, and the paralells are just too scary as to how they manipulate us. WISE UP YOU GUYS!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can understand banning certain light bulbs.
    Incandescent bulbs are very inefficient. Fluorescents use less than half the energy that incadescents use.
    Imagine how much fuel we could save if everybody used more efficient light bulbs.

We have an energy problem not only in this country but the world. We have to take steps to conserve what we can. Changing to a more efficient light bulb is such a small thing that can make a big difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HUMBUG!!, Ozzy!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, with the lightbulbs, I'm not saying it's a bad idea to change to more efficient ones... by people choosing to do so, not being forced by self-righteous politicians.
    As for the seatbelts, the same schmuck who pushed that law in NY is trying to ban alcohol on the commuter trains I take everyday. I've never seen anyone get drunk on rush-hour, only people who had a hard days work and enjoy a tall cold one on the hour it takes to get home such as myself...

All's I should say is with freedoms comes responsibilities. But when everything's banned and censored, what freedoms will we have then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think You all have a good point but im with Bugweed... this is stupid.. and the seatbelt issue can be compared with smoking, drinking and driving, noodling (in some states), and drug issues.

All are dangerous, but if done correctly or responsibly then their should be no need for a law.

Same thing goes for this light bulb thing. I mean seriously do they need to take away what kind of light bulbs we use?

Thats just stupid. *grrr* government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quogue, If they can force you to wear a seatbelt, disguising in the form of "It'll save lives!", and take away your choice to live through an accident , or die in one (no seatbelt), then freedom of choice no longer exists. Out de window. I hear all kinds of excuses from people that its a good idea, but I considered that the first infraction of my personal choises. ME, I wear the seatbelt because I understand its value. NO ONE had to tell me that. BUT, to be forced by a law to comply----well, I drew the line THAT day! Our first freedom of choice taken over by a Government that has a lot more than that in mind for its people. Remember the people?? The folks who are supposed to run this outfit?? Well, there too busy playing with their toys, or chasing around, rather than keeping a watchful eye on the crooks over us. I am in NO way suprised by the further assininity put on our shoulders by a Goverment that does not listen to those who own them. Now, the corporations run this country, and it gets more evident everyday. America no longer exists. At least, not the one I grew up in. This is more like Pre-Nazi Germany. I am an avid student of History, and the paralells are just too scary as to how they manipulate us. WISE UP YOU GUYS!!!!
    Well, Weed, I mostly agree with you .... accept, believe it or not, on the seatbelt issue. Yes, it SEEMS like you may have the right to live or die in an accident, but you really don't. When some dumb idiot gets killed in an accident, it forces up my insurance costs. So, your choice can affect other people negatively.

The lightbulb thing is not really all that bad. I think a ban is crazy, and it should be approached in a different manner, but the spirit is good.

The no alcohol on trains? Ok, yes drunk people on a train can be annoying. No one has the right to not be annoyed. Also, I think the person with this idea is trying to deal with the world as he or she thinks it should be, rather than how it is. If you can't ride with alcohol, people are going to DRIVE with it, because there is less liklihood of being caught. Not a good scenario.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with Bugweed on All aspects. I have been saying the same thing for years about the seat belts. I have heard all the excuses from the insurance premiums to it save lives and all that BS. It is still government manipulation. Plain and simple. What the government needs to do is enforce the laws it already has and stop giving back the licenses to people who exhibit the inability to drive. It is too easy to get a drivers license today. I was driving solo at 16, and looking back I probably should not have been driving. I wrecked my first care a month after getting my license. If you look at things from a certain angle EVERYTHING you do affects someone else some how some way. I can get offended by the outfits some people where. Just because they look so bad in them. Yet you do not hear me complaining and asking them to ban the cloths they wear. I get offended when I go to talk to someone and they have the most foul breath known to man, but I am not going to ask for a law that says they have to brush 3 times a day and go to the dentist. The point is there are many many different things people do that affect other peoples pockets.

The CF vs Light bulb. I agree it is a good idea, but not one worthy of legislation. I have changed almost every light bulb out in my house with the exception of the fancy bulbs and I haven;t noticed a different in my electric bill. It is more than likely the advent of winter and the use of my heater more. Who knows. This is just another example of our BIG BROTHER trying to tell us what is best for us. Granted I know we need to wear seat belts, and use CF, but the government does not have the right IMO to legislate that. I guess it is the same thing as trans fats and I supported its ban, but using a CF over a incandescent is not going to kill you like eating trans fat that is stuck into foods.

This is why America is going to **** and fast. Granted it is still better than most other places ti live, but for how long? I swear it is going to get to the point where we are not going to be able to spit on the sidewalk on Tuesday pretty soon. It is coming and I will be one of those sitting back telling people "I told you so" when everyone is complaining about all the gooberment control, and how every thought they have has to be approved by someone and they cannot take a doodie without the gooberment knowing or telling you how you can wipe your behind.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast