What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you have a career/degree in…

joossa

Aklys
Hello everyone. I would like to know if any of you have a degree or career in environmental biology, ecology, biogeography, GIS, or any other closely related field and if you could share some thoughts on you career, job, and/or degree.

What kind of degree do you have? What is your area of study? Do you work for the government or in the private sector? Do you conduct lots of lab research or field studies? How’s the pay? Etc, etc, etc…
I ask this because I know that I want to go into biogeography and similar areas, but I am not at a level where deciding what to specifically go into is easy. I just reached sophomore level at my university, so I have not taken any courses that are concentrated on a specific subject. The classes I have taken have given me a general view of several fields (genetics, geology, microbiology, and so on…). I have so many interests (amphibians, climate, CP’s, soil/water/air quality, insects, etc.) and deciding to focus on just one is hard. I have talked to a couple of my professors and advisors, but would like more insight and examples regarding jobs and experiences in the described field(s).

Thanks for sharing….
-Joel

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic because I've been wondering something along the same lines. I'd love to study ecology or environmental biology, so I'd love to see what people who work in fields involving biology have to say.

BTW, Rocko's Modern Life was an awesome show and I grinned my head off when I saw your avatar and sig.

I was an Environmental Science major. I have had sporadic success in procuring and maintaining work in that field, having worked in consulting firms and environmental laboratories, as well as with the NYSDEC. I have done sampling, monitoring, report writing, and labwork. Not the best field in the world. A lot of the people at the labs in which I worked were Bio majors.

I have a BS in Geological Engineering and a MS in Geography and, for a while in between, had huge interests in environmental geology, biogeochemistry & bioclimatology. I did research and published papers, but couldn't possibly have afforded a family or to live without room-mates. Now I work for government on something I had no previous interest in and have forgotten what "field" even means anymore. But I make enough that we can (barely) afford my wife not working.

Few people in the fields you mention get to work in exactly what they like, unless they're willing to accept low pay or can get a PhD and have a salesman's personality for selling themselves. So you make some compromises. You get more choices if you develop professional level skills in something, like statistics, GIS, lab techniques etc. and also take the most rigorous math and science classes. It can be appealing to get a general Environmental Science degree with a broad range of classes, but it isn't very useful. You're much better off getting a degree in a specific topic, whether botany, geology or whatever. Personally, I think microbiology and biochemistry are terrific choices because of all the options they leave you with. I have to go now, but I'll return to this.

i'm a semester away from getting a degree in "Biology with specialization in ecology and environmental biology"...does that count to answer some questions? haha

i'm a semester away from getting a degree in "Biology with specialization in ecology and environmental biology"...does that count to answer some questions? haha
What kind of job are you planning to get with your degree?

I'm planning on going to med school (the path most people take), but just in case something happens to healthcare, i.e. we become like canada or there is a cap placed on how much doctors can make or something, I will more than likely go into an MD/PhD program, and get a PhD in biology, or some specialization of bio. Plus, I like bio wayyyy too much to give up on it for the rest of my life. I'm pretty much planning on being a doctor for a while then becoming a professor when I get sick of it (i get bored easily). Plus, as a professor, I'd like to do some research, which you can't really do as a doctor.

The hardest classes you'll have to get through are going to be genetics, cell bio, and organic evolution. Many people end up taking those multiple times.

I think Jim's experience is more typical of what to expect. You won't necessarily be working at what you want or earning a lot, but you'll have a great hobby. Only a small % of people with bio degrees go to medical school. There just aren't that many slots opening each year and the competition is fierce. And, like in all natural sciences, a MS is the entry level degree for someone wanting to do professional work in biology. And that really is entry level.

I graduated with a BS in biology, but for all 4 years of college I worked in various environmental science labs and offices. I've done everything from water quality testing to catching dragonflies to media outreach.

right now I work in a molecular biology lab. there's still a lot I need to learn, and the pay is awful, but it's really fascinating work. I'm extremely lucky to have found a science job with just a bachelor's...the more education you have, the better off you'll be. definitely plan on getting at least a master's.

I'd say don't worry too much about what specific work you want to do, yet. Focus on the background knowledge you're getting now. have you chosen a major? If you can't decide on a single subject, consider taking more than one, either as a double major or as a major and minor. Having a broad range of knowledge will almost definitely serve you better when you go to apply for jobs or grad schools...why limit yourself?

I wish i could give advice, but im still several semesters away from a biology with an emphasis in botany/ horticulture degree...

Not much help on this one But I do know you could always look into doing research and being a professor in a field you enjoy. The pay may not be that absolute best but you get to do something new everyday and have a reliable pay check. There is usally a good amount of teaching postions open at the universities (in michigan at least).But this is only a good idea if you think you'll enjoy teaching.

Thats what I'm trying to do at least =)

Back