What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleep paralysis

You just gotta keep being aware of what around you is unusual and remember it's just a dream :)

If you wake up and are paralyzed, picture an image as vividly as you can and you should be kind of sucked into it. Lol, I can't really describe it lol It's just like a swirling vortex and everything goes fuzzy and then boom you're there. staying calm and not screwing it up is the hard part.

I think what happens is that I get too anxious and I have made the staying asleep part into too much of a battle with myself. What you said really makes sense. Next time i'm in a lucid dream I'll try saying to myself "it's just a dream, calm down, it's okay" I really belive now that the best way to stay lucid is to stay somewhat passive. This whole time I've been trying to fight waking up which probably just makes it worse. It's kind of like how when you breath slowly and stay positive you can accomplish things much easier. Allright thanks for the insight. I'll post how my next LD goes.

-peace

-Gabe

Well for me I screw it up because I get excited at the aspect of it happening lol.

LD's are fun but AP's are harder and waaay better. It feels ike you are laying on train tracks when the train comes or like there's an earthquake, then you feel yourself sitting up (as if something was pulling you effortlessly) and then once you are floating above your physical body you gotta roll over and try to get away from yourself before you are sucked back in. Then you can really do anything lol. It's great because in the physical world 5 minutes might go by and it feels like you've been out for hours and hours.

Oh yeah, focusing on your breath screws me up, too lol. If you have a LD or an AP or whatever you shouldn't breath or blink at all. It's just... existing.

With me I just get all bent out of shape with the thought that I might wake up. I don't really get excited about them(well I'm asleep at least), I just get nervous. I have never really tried to "play it cool" in a dream so I think it might make a difference.
My mom gave me a tape called "astral sounds" about three years ago. When I listen to it I kind of feel like waves are going through my body and my head gets fuzzy. I'll see if I can find it and listen to it in bed tonight.

What is the visual transition like in an AP? Do things slowly become clear or does it happen suddenly?

It's like swirling fuzziness of the picture you were seeing then BAM you're there.

I just found a link to 2 free files that are binaural. If they have crappy new-age music or rain sounds or crap like that I won't use them. I hate that pink noise crap. I like binaural sound that's pure, maybe even a little static in the background but I hate that stupid flute playing or rain crap.

I've got an awakened minds cd floating around the house somewhere. If I can find it you can have it. Didn't do anything for me.

gnomad.info

try that. They are zip files and pretty large 81 mg's and like 61 mg's

I just listened a little bit to boxed nirvana and abyss and they have a little bit of pinkish noise but thank god it's no new-age crap music designed to "relax" you.

Clint you are a FOOL!! LMAO and :crazy:

I about died when you said you mother said
"TED! CLINT"S LAUGHING BY HIMSELF IN THE BATHROOM!"

I used to dream I was flying when I was younger, but I haven't had those in a LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG time. I used to feel like I was realy flying, and it was only a few feet off the ground, but still I was flying. I have severl dreams sometimes where I feel like I am controling the dream, but peoples faces are alway fuzzy and I have no clue who they are. I rarely talk in my dreams too.

I am going to read the wiki thing on Astro-projection and see if I can understand it more.

What about the 'spirit guides' involved in astral projection? When do you meet them on a trip?
What guards your body from other spirits when yours leaves it?

I always used to have false awakenings when I was in public school. :p I'd hear my mom waking me up and then I'd dream getting ready for school. She'd get so mad at me when I wasn't awake. xD Kinda made me mad too.

Clint, Psipog is this site mostly dedicated to make "psiballs" or balls of energy in your hand. There's videos of people moving paper and stuff with it but I could never even do the simple stuff, I just can't concentrate enough. Is it real? I have no idea, but I like to keep my mind open about these things, it's fun to think that it could possibly be real. It makes life a bit more interesting.

Lol josh, yeah my mom started to FREAK lmao! She had that tone like when she catches me stoned or about to die lmao. auctually that's not funny lmao. #$^

Whooo. A ball of Chi. AND a video? Man I am so impressed! Lol.

It is real. "Psi" is the same thing as chi or prana or ki etc etc. Tai Chi uses it. Yoga uses it. It's your life force energy and is collected in your chakras.

Zappafan, you don't need one. Or maybe we all have them but have to meet them first. I gtg to the accountants office w/my mom so i'll type more later.

EDIT: I think that most if not all "spirit guides" are just subconscious manifestations.

FIRST of all, I have NO IDEA what ya'll are talking about, second, it's funny how Clint thought nobody would even reply to his thread and now it's almost 4 pages long :p and last but not least, I busted out laughing when I read what your mom said :-))

Omg I said ya'll! That's not good.

At least you aren't saying "aint".

Err I mean tar aint nuthin wrong with ya'll.

Do people read Carlos Castaneda's books anymore?

By the way, I thought it's spelled y'all.

I saw his stupid POS and had to fight the urge to pass it up :) I think he's a goth looking for attention, which would explain why his voice was in GTA:Vice City

I thought it was spelled ya'll, but I'm not a pro with slang :p

Sleep paralysis

Look it up Wiki pedia.
Jest like I remember from a sleep disorders conference that I attended years ago.
It is a normal part of REM sleep.
It is when you are suddenly awakened out of the REM sleep that your body is still paralyzed but your mind is awake.
Happens to me all the time.

On my AP forum I told what happened to me last night and then asked some questions. I'll just paste my whole post instead of typing it again.

I have a few questions. Can you still move when you are in a trance/ focus 10 (what's the difference?) I think I am in a trance but I can move if I wanted.

Last night I was listening to Boxed Nirvana II and I went into a "trance" where I felt numb and I felt like the room was HUGE and my senses were dulled and it felt like I was in my own little world.It felt like there was the real world and then my little cocoon outside of it. Once I entered into that state my mind immediately quieted and all the the chitter chatter that I usually try to make be quiet went away.

Then a little while after that, I felt like I had gained 500 pounds and felt as if my body was very dense and about twice the size it normally is, as if I was morbidly obese or something. This feeling reminds me of something I used to feel as a child but I can't remember ever experiencing it. It just feels SO familiar. My body got even more numb. I felt very heavy and dense and big. I was still inside my little "cocoon"

This whole time I felt as if I was high on dissociative like nitrous or DXM. Once I literally saw a maintain range in the upper left of my vision and there was an orange aurora (not aura) poring out from behind it. What's this?

And is hypnagogic imagery also when the blackness swirls and rotates with different colors like white and yellow and such? Or is that something different? Is H. imagery only like REAL pictures?

I think I felt very very weak vibrations, or it may have been a placebo.

I want to get familiar with this "area"/"state" I was in before I go to the next step, but what is the next step?

I tried to focus on AP island, too. I can't quite remember but I might have stopped because that's when my second "trance" started.

I appreciate your help and answers because all of this terminology has vague definitions for me

THIS is what a member said:
When in F10, one can still be very much aware of their body. F10 to me is immediately apparent as my quality of mind (state of consciousness) shifts away from baseline, it has a very distinct feeling.
Deep levels of F10 can remove all bodily sensations, but it doesn't have too. Everyone experiences these things slightly differently.
Usually I get a massive sense of space when I hit F12.
From what you describe above, it seems like you were around F10 and were entering an increasingly deep state of trance. When one gets deeper into trance, bodily and spatial distortions can occur as your brain is receiving less 'external' stimulus and so the mind takes over. This is pretty much what DXM and nitrous do (although with profound shifts of consciousness and no control) as they are dissociatives.
Hypnogogic imagery can be hazy or clear. It can be swirls of colours and dots (although this can also be due to retinal discharge - i.e. retinal cells still being excited by imagery from when you were using your eyes and signals still being generated). usually, as one gets deeper into trance (nearer the border of sleep) the quality of hypnogogic imagery increase quite profoundly, sometimes to the point as if you are actually seeing things with your eyes. At such a stage it is quite easy to get lost into hypnogogic scenarios (like mini dreams at sleeps border), so one has to maintain passive awareness to stop falling asleep.

THIS is my reply
I also forgot to add that it felt as if my body was fluid and like I was moving/twisting/contorting when I wasn't toward the end of my experience.

I have a big problem that I start to get lost in images in my head and scenarios (and I think that's what I'm supposed to be doing) but then i'm snapped back to the "real world". How do I overcome this? And how do you notice something (like the swirling imagery for example or the strange space distortions) without paying attention to it and focusing on it?

For example, when I type something or notice something I say the words as I type or if I notice a tree or something I think "hey there's a tree!" with the voice in my head (no I don't hear voices lol).

It's just very hard to make your "internal voice" or "internal monologue" or whatever you want to call it shut up. It's very hard to stop thinking lol.

Ok, so lets assume that I can get to the place where I was at last night. What next?

I appreciate your help, and thanks!

I just read a little bit of that article and I am pretty sure that is what has happen to me alot. Ill wake up or I am laying down trying to sleep and be able to control breathing eyelids toes my feet and my fingers a little bit and thats it. It is scary. What I do is try to move my feet and trying to breathe real fast and I be able to move. I havent had hallucinations but it does seem like a dream after it happens.

Back