What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss ID?

intrigued by the sphagnum moss post I curious to figure out what I have growing in some of my tanks. any ideas? ??? I know it looks to be at least two different types, possibly three

img2694up2.jpg

img2691io6.jpg

img2695jr6.jpg

img2692ji3.jpg

img2696ir5.jpg

Belle,

Personally, I dont have a clue, moss identification is difficult at best... with the differences in many species being cell structure etc, There are some good books out there but even then...

To be honest I have several that I dont know what they are...

A good book for beginners (like me) is "the mosses of boreal north america", it is an excellent field guide for the 80 or so common North American sphagnum species

FWIW here are online resources for ya...

Key to the Moss Genera of North America North of Mexico

Andrew's Moss Site

( I love the waterfall pic, man is that beautiful)

My backgound is electrical/mechanical/aerospace so it doesn't take long to lose me with the terminology LOL

Hope this helps,
Av

(FWIW. they dont appear to be sphagnum to me but maybe a RKI will chime in)

not sphagnum
don't know what it is.
looks like the common weed moss most people get

Its like a club moss or something like that we get posts like this all the time... I figured we were late for it.

well, i saw some spag. in there, the other stuff is normal moss that i seem to get in most of my Cp pots.

Back