User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light gardening of the 24th century: LEDs ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light gardening of the 24th century: LEDs ?

Hey folks,

I'm very curious to know if any of you know of this new technology of LED lights being used for plants?

I ordered a set of bulbs from these guys off ebay (a way cheaper way to go) www.gro-tek.com (they have a lot of info but when i search the web the only other info I can find is from other LED lamp makers, no product reviews.

Anyhow, being a gaget nut I have ordered a set of seven bulbs which look like red and blue traffic lights (supposedly enough to bloom Cattleya orchids over 12 square feet or a 3 ft x 4 ft terrarium). Supposedly emitting only the spectrums that plants need, so they loook really funky and dark to human eyes, like a light garden from an episode of star trek or something but I thought I'd be adventurous and give them a try.

Anyone else ever heard of these or used them? They are pricey but if they only draw a few watts of and actually grow the same as HPS or MH without the heat or power this would be awesome!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Clint they are the new thing. Yet I haven't heard anything about them yet. I would love to see if they can bloom a light hungery Cattleya though. Then the next thing would be to see if you can use them to bloom a Vanda. I would also love to see if it give the plants the coloration of natural light.

I am glad to see someone experimenting with them. Have you got your test plants yet??
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what I'll test grow under them, maybe Daturas as they are quick growers/early bloomers if they have good light and I have plenty of seed from last years datura festival in my front yard. If all goes well I'll put them over my highland chamber to get "brght" lighting with no heat emission. I'll leave a twin tube strip of normal FL for looking at the plants with my eyes. If that doesn't work I did just buy an air cooled HPS lamp & enclosed reflector a couple weeks ago for the Highland chamber but I figured since the LEDs were a reasonable price I wanted to jump on it and try it.

Let someone else pay the power bill to run the HID's if these puppies work! I think my whole LED setup is 14 watts instead of the 400 + I planned to use. I just wonder if the orchid room shown on the companys website with 4 or 5 of the sets I bought is for real or just for the pic.

I've also been thinking of adding one or two reptile UV lights to simulate the higher UV levels experienced by the montane pitcher plants, orchids, etc.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phantom Dave uses LED's. I was pretty interested when I saw them on his website.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That website: http://www.phantomplants.com/
    Seen his plants grown by these lights at last years NECPS show, they are beautiful!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I say they are the future.

you can even get LED's that only produce (or almost only) light that is good for growing plants, so it looks ugly and it looks dark but the plants are AWESOME under it.

After the initial investment you save money in the long run.

Whenever i'm a rich doctor lol, I want a light bank of them. 6 foot long, 34 foot wide for one awesome terrarium!

And you can program them to simulate natural sun movements across the sky and different intensities overall and stuff. It's neat lol.

It's REALLY hard to imagine how 6 watts will be better than the hundreds of watts we use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

six watts... i cant wait till im a millionare... then ill have a whole grow room set up with with the walls as these. and then do the program thing that JLAP is talking about...

lol not reallly but Im sure every one would have one or two florecents sitting aroud still, cause you still wanna see the pretty colorfull green plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I use LED lights for some of my plants and they work pretty well for me. I have some under pure LED, but most are combined with fluorescent as well. The trick with growing plants under LED lighting is that you need to get the correct distance between the plant and the light source.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast