User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to CRY! All my dreams are CRUSHED!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Berry's website, click on student life, then on student organizations and read the list. It doesn't have a fundamentalist look to it. I never went there, but was at a couple parties at Emory during my year+ at Georgia Tech and it didn't look like a bible thumping kind of place. They seemed pretty familiar with debauchery and, since the students were wealthier than what I'm accustomed to, they took partying to higher levels than I had ever seen before and probably haven't seen since. Vanderbilt has a great reputation and a friend of mine went there and a former roommate went there for grad school. They draw lots of pretty well off kids from the surrounding states who want to get away, but not too far. Like at Emory, that crowd doesn't really appeal to me, but they'd be great for grad/medical school.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh the 26th best? Lol, people have been lying to me lol

Ehh, hopefully my view of Christians is skewed and Christian doesn't mean CHRISTIAN Christian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry.
    Well if you really want to go for it I would just take it for the education and try to ignore all of the Bible talk if it really bothers you. That's what I do here in the 'Bible Belt' and it seems to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking on college forums and so far i've seen 2 or 3 people talk about the student body as conservative and religious. No one said it was liberal or anything.

I've already come to the conclusion that i'm not going there. I had no idea. It's not the end of the world, though. My parent's are telling my i'm overreacting but I refuse after what I've read. My parent's don't want me to limit my options but... I just don't want to go to a place like that.

After running i feel a lot better

EDIT: I found a small alumi forum and from what they say it's a "4-year sunday school"

My mom and I have reached the conclusion that I wouldn't fit in or be happy there at ALL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that means Bob Jones is out of the running too.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps your perspective on Christian values and morals are a bit skewed to the very vocal and unfortunately political side. When I hear that a college goes by Christian values (and that school is a medical school), many Christian values come to head. Namely, "love thy neighbor as thy self." A motto that should be at the forefront of any institution that seeks to develop people into doctors. Then there are the values of honesty (important if you are doing research), truth, compassion, love, mercy, grace, kindness, gentleness, and responsibility for ones own actions and talents. All are Christian values and morals that have a wide reaching application. Just another perspective. If you want a good education, go to where you can get it. I know that as a Christian, I don't want people who have the talents and passion for healing the sick not to get the best education just because they do not believe the same way I do.
    -Doug

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it&#33 but 'That's funny ...'
    -Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Clint,

I am at Emory and I have not taken a single religious course nor have I noticed any particularl bias toward religious thought.

While the origin of the school may once have been religious in nature this is one of the few situations where those with broader minds prevailed. The reason they can be such an excellent school in many fields is because they do not cram ideology down your throat. The only way you are going to come up against any religious teaching is if you enroll in the theology program (which is also supposed to be top notch.)

SO if you are really considering Emory then I would tell you to go for it and don't let the religious origin worry you
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh THANK you! You REALLY put my mind to easy on Emory. Seriously, THANK you.

Now I just gotta figure out what to do with the next 5 years of my life... Lol. It's gonna be alright.

EDIT: My mom's friend just called and said she knows people who went there and it's anything BUT religious. Lol, from the way she spoke of it it sounded like a sinfest

Lol, I dunno. I could always try it for one semesters and transfer if I don't like it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast