User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm about to CRY! All my dreams are CRUSHED!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Christian" colleges always have the best parties. I live in the mini-bible belt of west michigan and went to the only secular state university on this side of the state. I have 3 religous colleges within easy driving distance and the parties there always were better than the ones at my college. Also I found just as many bible thumpers at my secular college as I did when I would go visit the religous colleges. You will run into evengelical christians no matter where you go. My human orgins class about erupted into a riot when we discussed evolution.

Basically your going to run into hardline christians where ever you go, so dont worry about that and look at the quality of education. Also vanderbilt is a very good school my cousin went there and loved it. He made it sound like a very nice school.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, well, thank's Bruce lol

Yeah ktulu, I guess I just gonna learn how to put them in their place hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to UCSF! (University of California, San Francisco). It's a top-notch medical school, and it's in San Francisco!

Of course you might have to win the lottery to go. No idea what it costs.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, I WISH! My parents are dead-against me moving too far away

My dream is to move to San Francisco one day. It's really where I belong. Almost everyone seems to be in line with my thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I wanted to go to Berry college... oh great I found out that it has a Christian emphasis (although it's not affiliated with any churches), Christian morals and values.

Then I found out that Emory is affiliated with the Methodist church! They support Christian values, too.

I'm so... oh my god I'm so sad. I want to go to a private secular college but I don't know any....

I'm getting teary-eyed. I feel like someone just punched me in the chest. I really feel like my dreams just went down the crapper. I'm really trying hard not to burst into tears.

Maybe i'm being stubborn. I just don't want to go to a college with christian emphasis.
    Actually if you get punched in the chest, it doesnt hurt that much and it doesnt make your eyes water. Usually, your eyes water if you get punched in the nose or eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... That's good to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So maybe you should have said you feel like you just sliced a big pile of onions. It isn't as dramatic, but I guess it would be more physiologically correct. Other than for the dreams down the crapper part. Onions don't do that.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Hope that you don't mind if I interject a couple of remarks.

First, I can completely understand your reservations regarding attending
    an institution with any kind of religious leaning, especially Christian. Sadly,
    such "universities", especially those with an evangelical bent, are little more
    than indoctrination centers to inculcate today's youth with "right think" (see
    Orwell's 1984).

Personally, my advice is "be afraid, be very afraid". In short, find another school.
    There are a lot of them out there, and I have no doubt that you will be able to
    find one which will be a better match for you. My impression is that you are
    an intelligent, compassionate person, with a desire to learn and think for yourself.
    So, in the words of Shakespeare, "To thine own self be true." Don't allow a dogmatic
    environment to extinguish the light of your personality and mind, for that
    is likely what that sort of environment will do.

You see, religion is like a virus of the mind. Once it has infected a susceptible mind,
    it takes over and often effectively prevents that mind from functioning properly, or
    looking at the world in any sort of logical, evidence-driven fashion. A prime example
    of this kind of evil is the persecution of Galileo by the Catholic Church, or contemporary
    efforts by the Religious Right to teach creationist nonsense in science classes instead
    of real, legitimate science.

Please, think carefully, and find a way to attend a real, intellectually honest institution.
    You have only one life to live, and one's undergraduate years are very special. Don't
    waste them in an environment that may cripple you morally and intellectually.

And, finally, if you are wondering how I've arrived at my strongly held opinions,
    please know that I was raised with religion, but learned to free myself from it
    and think clearly. Moreover, I've attended five universities, and hold five
    degrees, so I can tell you first-hand that there are many fine schools out there.
    Go find a better one -- you deserve it!

Best of luck!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast