What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm about to CRY! All my dreams are CRUSHED!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I wanted to go to Berry college... oh great I found out that it has a Christian emphasis (although it's not affiliated with any churches), Christian morals and values.

Then I found out that Emory is affiliated with the Methodist church! They support Christian values, too.

I'm so... oh my god I'm so sad. I want to go to a private secular college but I don't know any....

I'm getting teary-eyed. I feel like someone just punched me in the chest. I really feel like my dreams just went down the crapper. I'm really trying hard not to burst into tears.

Maybe i'm being stubborn. I just don't want to go to a college with christian emphasis.

Go to the library and get yourself a guide to colleges. There's a really good one, I think it's Fiske's, that is basically a dictionary of American universities, and they break each one down with all sorts of demographics, including things like religious sponsorship and such. I'm sure you can find plenty of good candidates.
~Joe

I thought education and religion were supposed to be seperated?

Not in a private institution.

Emory is THE best medical school and I wanted to go there after berry. I dunno... I might have to suck it up and maybe the people there aren't gonna be all christiany even though it says "christian values"

my wife went to a "church" college for her degree.................basically it required her to take some "religious" electives along with the regular stuff.......the one she chose was history & the bible or something like that...........nothing truely religious about the class, all it was about was connecting happenings in the bible to real events in history around the time of Christ........was actually more history than religion

And I thought you were upset about Anna.

Berry doesn't require any religious studies AFAIK.

I REALLY had my heart set on berry. Here is their mission statement:

"Berry College is a comprehensive liberal-arts college with Christian values. The college furthers our students' intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth; proffers lessons that are gained from worthwhile work done well; and challenges them to devote their learning to community and civic betterment. Berry emphasizes an educational program committed to high academic standards, values based on Christian principles, practical work experience and community service in a distinctive environment of natural beauty. It is Berry's goal to make an excellent private liberal-arts education accessible to talented students from a wide range of social and economic backgrounds."

It's not that I don't like Christians, I do. It's just that I want to be in a secular environment. I don't need "Christian principals" hovering over me or being fed to me. I don't need that. That's not me, and I dunno what to do.

I don't even care if there are chapels on campus or if it was founded with Christian values, I just don't want to attend a college that emphasizes Christianity.

Berry isn't affiliated with any religious organizations.. I just wish they could replace the word "Christian" with "American" then then there wouldn't be a problem. I'm just.. god I dunno what to do. My whole life-plan is just screwed.

Lol Ozzy, This day just keeps getting worse and worse!

I just want to break the hell out of something... I need a cigarette.

dont take this for more than the constructive critisism its ment to be but if something as simple and, in my opinion, asinine train wrecks you from going to the school you had your heart set on i have my doubts on just how well you could handle a college enviroment.......

Thanks so much.

It's not about that, I don't care how many Christians are at the college I go to, I just don't want to go to a college that is religious, even though it's not a religious college (does that make sense? lol).

Putting an emphasis on Christian values means Christian to me, even though it's not a religious college. It was founded by some old religious lady so maybe i'm overreacting and they are just saying that for history or to appease donators or something.. I dunno. I don't want to pay for "moral and spiritual growth". I want to pay for an education. Or rather my parents lol.

i really had no idea Berry was like that. I just assumed it was just an ordinary private college.

Graduate or higher degree programs at 'religious' schools tend to be a lot more secular than their undergraduate programs.

I seriously considered Emory for graduate school even though I have some of the same reservations as you.

My best friend went to Loyola Law School and had no complaints about their religious affiliations.

I don't care how religious a school is, it's still full of college students that wants to party.

Yeah and there's a big 4 year portion of my life, too.

Ozzy, that's just it. I want to go to a college where the kids aren't worried about going to hell for their sinful actions. OF COURSE college is about education but I don't want to be around a bunch of bible-beaters who only drink at communion.

Trust me, I know what you're saying.

Sigh... well Vanderbilt is looking pretty good right about now. I guess it's second to Emory. Here is their mission statement:

"Vanderbilt University is a center for scholarly research, informed and creative teaching, and service to the community and society at large. Vanderbilt will uphold the highest standards and be a leader in the

* quest for new knowledge through scholarship,
* dissemination of knowledge through teaching and outreach,
* creative experimentation of ideas and concepts.

In pursuit of these goals, Vanderbilt values most highly

* intellectual freedom that supports open inquiry,
* equality, compassion, and excellence in all endeavors.

"

Christian values and principals vs. intellectual freedom, equality and compassion...

I think vanderbilt has a 4 year college and then a medical school. Lol, I don't know what to call a regular 4 year college lol. I'm so new to all of this crap.

Lol, i'm saying all of this on the assumption that I can get in.

dude you really havent been around many religious ppl..........trust me the WILDEST kids around are the pastor's kids :grin: as Ozzy said if its full of college kids there will be plenty of partying..............if it is THE school you want go for it........first year at any college is just generals anyways and if its not to your liking just transfer...........

Actually....Emory is the 26th best medical school

Go to Berry's website, click on student life, then on student organizations and read the list. It doesn't have a fundamentalist look to it. I never went there, but was at a couple parties at Emory during my year+ at Georgia Tech and it didn't look like a bible thumping kind of place. They seemed pretty familiar with debauchery and, since the students were wealthier than what I'm accustomed to, they took partying to higher levels than I had ever seen before and probably haven't seen since. Vanderbilt has a great reputation and a friend of mine went there and a former roommate went there for grad school. They draw lots of pretty well off kids from the surrounding states who want to get away, but not too far. Like at Emory, that crowd doesn't really appeal to me, but they'd be great for grad/medical school.

Oh the 26th best? Lol, people have been lying to me lol

Ehh, hopefully my view of Christians is skewed and Christian doesn't mean CHRISTIAN Christian.

I'm sorry.
Well if you really want to go for it I would just take it for the education and try to ignore all of the Bible talk if it really bothers you. That's what I do here in the 'Bible Belt' and it seems to work.

I've been looking on college forums and so far i've seen 2 or 3 people talk about the student body as conservative and religious. No one said it was liberal or anything.

I've already come to the conclusion that i'm not going there. I had no idea. It's not the end of the world, though. My parent's are telling my i'm overreacting but I refuse after what I've read. My parent's don't want me to limit my options but... I just don't want to go to a place like that.

After running i feel a lot better :)

EDIT: I found a small alumi forum and from what they say it's a "4-year sunday school"

My mom and I have reached the conclusion that I wouldn't fit in or be happy there at ALL.

Back