What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My poor Aunt :o( *Warning! Graphic text*

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
My aunt and uncle recently moved to Arizona from California. They went back to California on Saturday of last week to clean up some more in the house they had there so they can sell it. On Sunday, my Aunt was in the backyard gardening and their next door neighbor said hello, my Aunt stood up and waved to her over the fence. The neighbors dog jumped up (he had to jump really high because my aunt was on some large boulders so the fence was quite high) anyways, the dog jumped up and bit my Aunt's arm. She didn't even see the dog, it was underneight her (like I said she was on some boulders so the neighbors yard was much lower than her). The dog took one bite and it ripped a
10"x4" piece of skin off her arm (the whole underside of her arm)!!! The ambulance was called immedietly and she was taken to the emergency. They didn't even LOOK at her until 6 HOURS later!! She was bleeding soooo much! She was in horrible pain, she said when she moved her fingers you could look into her arm and see tendons moving! OMG!! Finally they attended to her. No arteries were damaged because she was wearing long rubber gloves, so she was VERY lucky there. She has to get a skingraph done. She saw the surgeon yesterday but I don't know what happened because my mom didn't call me back to let me know. My Aunt said her arm finally stopped bleeding completely yesterday, and all this happened on Sunday, so that's pretty bad!

My Aunt and Uncle have known their neighbors for about 17 years now, that's how long they've been living next to each other. They are not going to sue or have the dog put down. They don't really see each other that much since they moved so my Aunt is not afraid of seeing the dog. The neighbors have three large dogs and they are outside 24/7. The yard looks horrible because the dogs have dug up all the grass, so it's nothing but dirt. It's pretty sad. The neighbors offered to pay for the medical, but as of right now that is $40,000 so my Uncle told him no, they don't even own the house they live in, how does he think he's going to pay that much money? He also has 2 small children and a mentally disabled sister living there, so my Uncle just said don't offer things like that when you don't know what you're talking about. The neighbors also said that they don't want to but if my Aunt and Uncle want them to have the dog put down, they will but they won't be happy about it at all. My Aunt said no, she's just worried now about the 2 young kids living there. She said that ever since this happened none of the dogs have been outside.

Now I'm waiting to hear back from my mom to see when my Aunt is going to have the surgery. I feel so sorry for her
:(

Ouch. Sorry.

The dog took one bite and it ripped a
10"x4" piece of skin off her arm
OUCH! Do you know the breed of the dog?

I hate to say it but depending on the hospitals reaction to this, there may not be a choice in the matter about the dog. Hospitals are required to report vicious attacks and there will be an investigation and the dog may be put under quarantine (Depending on the laws of the state) until they can determine that there is nothing wrong with it. If it is a repeat offender...

During my time in Animal Control we saw many animals destroyed that the attacks were provoked and the dogs were destroyed when they were actually excellent animals with the unfortunate fate of having horrible owners (Not saying this is the case however).

I feel so sorry for her. It is a painful event to have to go through.

I'm not sure which dog bit her, there are three. I've seen them before and all three are mixed breeds. I'm almost positive that all three are German Shepards crossed with something else, one of the three I believe is crossed with a Rotti. In Canada I have a Rotti/Shepard cross and he is the sweetest boy, I don't believe it's the breed, it's how the dogs are kept in the yard 24/7 and never played with, only yelled at :( I feel the same about Pittbulls, but now I'm getting offtopic :p

Ooops I forgot Kat, I'm not sure what the hospital did but I'm sure you're right and something might have to be done no matter what my Aunt decides.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which dog bit her, there are three. I've seen them before and all three are mixed breeds. I'm almost positive that all three are German Shepards crossed with something else, one of the three I believe is crossed with a Rotti. In Canada I have a Rotti/Shepard cross and he is the sweetest boy, I don't believe it's the breed, it's how the dogs are kept in the yard 24/7 and never played with, only yelled at :( I feel the same about Pittbulls, but now I'm getting offtopic :p

Ooops I forgot Kat, I'm not sure what the hospital did but I'm sure you're right and something might have to be done no matter what my Aunt decides.

Waaaa everyone is forgetting about me today. I am half expecting my ride to forget me when it is time to leave work (That happens and I AM driving to work hahahha)

It all depends on the laws really, and sadly GSD's are on the vicious dogs list (I don't put much faith in that list tho... my breed is as well. OH YA... VICIOUS... OOOOOO SCARY, SCARY Siberian Husky hahaha I am more afraid of Poodles than them!) which really makes it less of a choice in most cases.

One of the dogs that we were supposed to destroy was a beautiful pure bred Rotti. She had attacked a young boy and they SAID for no reason. Well, I BEGGED AND BEGGED them to give me a shot with her even though I had a 4 year old foster child (I am educated as a laboratory animal tech (No, Buggy... I don't do it. I quit and now I am a gopher) and also have trained dogs for the past 13 years specializing in dogs like this. Got her home, kept her away from the foster kid, of course, until I could observe her... One of the best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of saving. It ended up that I ran into someone who knew the dog and the previous owners. Apparently they had her starving, tied in the back of a pick-up truck and allowed the boy to beat her with one of those little plastic baseball bats. The father also apparently liked to use sticks.

I found her a beautiful home. Knew it was time when my foster child fell and hurt herself and was screaming bloody murder. When I came running the dog wouldn't let me near her and was protecting her from me hahahhaha Doggy healed.

And yes... I know what they did for the dog isn't right either. Thankfully I was in a small area and they still cared about the well-being of the dogs and agreed with me that she deserved another chance :) Just officially, she was euthanized that day when she jumped into my backseat and drove away!

That is terrible. I am sorry to hear about your aunt. I'm sure she will get taken care of. I also applaud your aunt and uncle's attitude about not pressing a lawsuit. I think that is very admirable of them, especially this day in age. If anything, that gesture alone will help mend this wound between neighbors.

Was there a police report filed? I'm not sure about how ER's do this, as it sounds like your aunt and uncle did not file one, but the ER might have. Josh might be able to answer this; but, I would bet that the dog will be put down, and probably should be, because of the threat to someone in the future. Especially their small kids.

Terrible thing to happen, especially since she had to wait so long to get examined. I hope she has a faster recovery.

xvart.

Thanks xvart, I appreciate it :) I have no clue if there was a police report filed. I know my Uncle got really ticked off that they had to wait so long in the ER (they do have medical insurance) I heard that they had to fill out some paperwork but I don't know if that was the police report or hospital stuff. I think pretty much everyone is just concerned that the dog might do it again, but my Aunt really doesn't want to be the one to say put the dog down, even though she does understand that it could happen again and possibly to the two children and or mentally handicapped sister....or anyone else for that matter.

I think pretty much everyone is just concerned that the dog might do it again, but my Aunt really doesn't want to be the one to say put the dog down, even though she does understand that it could happen again and possibly to the two children and or mentally handicapped sister....or anyone else for that matter.

The moral dilemmas we face... Hopefully "the Man" will step in and take the dilemma away from your aunt.

Thanks xvart, I appreciate it :)

No problem. What are online communities for if not for support? Well... That and exchanging information about CPs...

xvart.

No problem. What are online communities for if not for support? Well... That and exchanging information about CPs...

xvart.

;)

Sorry to hear that. Terrible experience for your aunt. :( I hope the grafting isn't TOO bad.

Sorry to hear that. Terrible experience for your aunt. :( I hope the grafting isn't TOO bad.

Yeah, I meant to mention that in my post. I hear it skin grafting can be a terrible ordeal. Ugh...

xvart.

Wow!!!! that's horrible!!!!

I hope that they get everything under control.

As for the dogs, are they neutered? if not then that might be part of the reason.

I still haven't heard anything new. I've don't know much about skin grafting proceedure, but I hope it won't be too aweful for her.

Oh, I don't know if the dogs are fixed or not.

Ok, I just got an update. My Aunt is getting surgery on Wednesday. They are back in Arizona now.

Good to hear. Keep us posted!

xvart.

Will do! I'm going to speak with my mom and aunt threeway tomorrow evening.

Is there any news on how your Aunt is doing? Definately keeping her in my prayers... Hope she is doing a little better.

Thanks Kat :) I was unable to talk with my Aunt on Saturday, but I know she's doing just fine. She went to a party! So you know she's doing ok, lol. I don't know when the surgery will be, I will have to talk with my mom or cousin to find out. I'll keep you up to date :) Thanks for caring guys :)

Well my Aunt is having her surgery today at 10AM California time. It's day surgery so she should be able to go home today if everything goes well.

Back