What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Babies have arrived!

As some of you know my husband and I breed parrots and raise the babies for pets. We have just started to incubate some eggs as some pairs are problematic. I have been incubating 7 Green Cheek Conure eggs and so far 3 of them have hatched! The other 4 are due to hatch within the next 6 days so I am staying pretty busy keeping up with the hourly feedings. I have to feed each newly hatched baby every hour 24 hours a day for the first 3 days and then it drops to every 3 hours....once they are 2 weeks old I can feed them every 4 hours and so on until they are weaned (eating on their own) at around 8 weeks old.

Not sure if anyone will be interested in this post or not I was just excited that I was able to succesfully incubate eggs and hatch them out to healthy chicks. If anyone is interested in seeing pictures of them let me know and I will post some, they are really tiny right now and only hold about 3 drops of food per feeding...which is why they have to be fed so often.

Victoria

WOW! That is neat. I would love to see some pictures! That sounds very exhausting. I bet it messes up your schedule even more since the others could come any time in the next six days. Do you sell them to potential owners yourself, or do you sell to a pet store?

When do they start getting feathers?

xvart.

WOW that is really neat! I'd love to see pics! Good job! Looks like you won't be sleeping a lot for a few weeks, lol.

Pictures PLEASE!

How is time restraint? i would hope you have time to feed them every day.

Yeah, its pretty exhausting but it is also really cool to be able to watch their growth and progress....and then I am the first thing they see when they open their eyes so I am looked at as their mom. They will start to get their feathers around 4 weeks old. We try to sell directly to people who want to add a parrot to their family....we will occationally sell to a pet store but prefer to know where our babies are going as I get rather attached to each and every one of them.

Time isnt that big of a problem since my job is in the home. I take care of our flock of 80 plus babies as well as our reef tanks (the shipping of them and such). I also homeschool our 7 year old son. So I am always home and always able to stop and feed babies for 5 minutes. It really doesnt take that long to feed them once you develop your own technique.

I will post picks later tonight of them.

Victoria, that's awesome! PLEASE take pics!

:pics:

Congratulations! That is really cool. I'll bet they cute (well most baby birds are kinda ugly but so ugly they are cute). :)

Can't wait to see pics.

I hope the other eggs hatch too.

Congratulations!

all's I can think is how cute the little fellows must be, lookin' forward to the pictures as well, congratulations on your new family!

Sorry it has taken so long to get pics up....after half a day of trying with every feeding to get pictures of them I gave up when I got this one pic, lol. Babies move to much to take a picture of them! So......here is the one picture I got:

DSCN1842.jpg

This baby is the oldest at 3 days old....he has grown a lot since he hatched. One of the other eggs is pipping still so that baby should be here sometime tonight! Maybe I can get a good picture of it when it is just out of the shell.

I think that all my babies are cute but I do realize most people think they are ugly. I will try to post pics of them as they grow. I also I have a Yellow Crowned Amazon egg in the incubator so I will post an update when it hatches.

Victoria

They are like the ugly duckling :) One day they will be GORGEOUS!

I'd be afraid to touch it, it looks so delicate.

Oh look, a little cottonball.

Hatching / Raising any kind of babies to young adult / adults is a neat experience.
I myself raise Leopard Geckos.

Yeah, they are really fragile so you have to handle them really easy....feedin them is the hard part.

Leopard Geckos huh, that cool! Got any pics of them? The only Gecko I know works for Geico.

Ohhhhhhh look at those little bitty wings! I love him! I can't wait to see more pics! Please keep us up to date on their progress. Good job!

I mean I don't know Its not cute but its not ugly either. Just Awkward. But they look beautiful once they grow up!

Awwwe. What's up with those eyes? They are born closed right? Have they not developed or are they protected by that filmy stuff?

xvart.

I thought that was his eyelids and they're still closed. I'm not positive though.

Their eyes wont open until they are around 14 days old....they will slowly begin to get slits on the eye lid until they are open. But no, their eyes are not fully developed and they actually need to stay in the dark so they dont damage their eyes.

I will definatly keep updates going....probably every couple of weeks or so. Glad you all liked seeing pics of my little cottonball!

Victoria

Yeah, they are really fragile so you have to handle them really easy....feedin them is the hard part.

Leopard Geckos huh, that cool! Got any pics of them? The only Gecko I know works for Geico.

Sure do.
These are some old pics that I had posted here in the in the reptile threads.

Here is almost all my Leopard Geckos I currently have. 1 High Yellow female was very unsocial tonight, so she is not pictured.

My female Bell Albino and 2 other High Yellow females. 4th picture is my lucky male.

Then in another tank I have my female Tangerine and male Tangerine.

Then the 2 new Tangerine babies that hatched this week.

geckos.jpg

Pic of a baby hatching

LGhatch.jpg

Here are the three baby Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Leopard Geckos that I hatched this last year. This year I should get more as I will have a full year breeding them.

These are several month old pics. The bottom babies have colored up very nice and showing a nice carrot tail.

babylg.jpg

Well you just have to admit that babies of any critter are just darn cute!

That baby bird does look SO fragile...I'd be scared to handle it.

Back