What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is hypothetical question time again

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    major

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Okay, hypothetical question (and yes I really mean hypothetical.)

If there were a major CP exhibit what plants would you most like to see?

BIG, fancy Neps with lots of pitchers on 'em, HUGE Cephs.... Petiolaris complex Drosera, preferably NOT dormant ones... and odd pings like P.heterophylla or P.gypsicola (if dormant, you'd need to make an arrangement of the more unusual ones in dormancy I'd figure)

For more plain stuff, well=arranged groupings- maybe a goup of Binata complex 'dews, a whole tray of rosetted ones (so you could compare- unless there were lotsof them, the "striking" value would not be asstrong) a nice arrangement of well-grown Pings

a BIG Drosphyllum, and a big Roridula of some type would be super-cool too

mabudon you are making me drool thinking about it!

What inspired this "hypothetical" question?

Nothing "inspired" it, I just got to wondering while I was potting up a few things last night.

Ok, it would have to be a VERY LARGE floor map of the world. There would be a fake mountain coming out of the floor in SE Asia and in S. America.

I would have neps around the base and up the side of the SE Asia mountain - bical, truncata, merriliana, northiana, campanulata around the base, then going up the side of the mountain, various interediate then highland plants (would have to have lowii and hamamta, I think)

N. America would have cobras and some dews along the W coast, and the E coast would have more dews, sars & VFT's in their relative geographic locations.

Cephs would be in Australia, with tuberous dews & pymges.

You get the picture - CP's would all be displayed in their homelands - Don't think I've forgotten about pings or utics! They'd have their place, too, with drosopyllum, byblis, genlisea.....

How much money do you have? ;-)

I don't have any money. It was just a hypothetical question.:blush:

Drosera tuberous and petiolaris group!
Heliamphoras too!
Peter

I would like to see plants that rarely make it to display shows. These can be either plants are are rare in collections or plants that need extreme enviroments (like N. villosa) which make them less common at shows.

OOOooohhhh what Schloaty said- MAN that would be cool...

If there were to be "commons" like D.capensis etc, there should be a MASSIVE bed of them, it would be easy to make a fairly breathtaking display, and compensate for the fact that most of us have seen this species a lot- if the plants could appear as much "in habitat" as possible, that would be really cool

And Nep-ak, sorry to mess up your keyboard ;)

The triphy... triphio... You know the one...

And N. edwardsiana

I really do like the floor map idea.

Who wants to start a project! I got a big basement :D lol

I'd like to see a Nepenthes display like Borneo Exotics does... & Aquatics w/ magnifying glasses. And a collection of every kinda flytrap there is. And King Sundews grown in a replica of their natural environment. And a Hot Dog stand. And a bar.

A field of Sarraceniae and Droserae from horizon to horizon...

...imagine a world without hypothetical situations....

ok, I'd like to see a drosera capensis...

the size of a small pony...

...I'd want to see a brand new genus that was unveiled at the grand opening of the exhibit! Something totally weird.

Ya know... Schloaty's idea is pretty feasible, like for an ICPS conference. Would be pretty dang cool....

pretty feasible?

Again, I ask you, how much money you got? :p

I like the idea of the magnifying glasses for the utrics/genlisea/aldrovanda - we could easily add those to the display areas.

Yeah, have the mag glasses tethered like a pen at a bank.

Also, if yer creative with the materials and scale down the size and get enough people to help I'd say it could be done (graduated-art student that's made some Big projects at crunch time on the cheap)
Your vision could be realized! haha

Back