What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NECPS meeting from 02/10

schloaty

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Well, the Roger Williams Park in Providence (our "home base," as it were) has been renovating their greenhouses for quite a while. We've been relagated to meetings in the classrooms only.

Anyway, they've finally finished the construction, and we were able to have our meeting in the actual GH this past Saturday. It's NICE! They did a really good job with the contructions - and the park likes us so much they've dedicated a corner of one of the GH's to our society. They even built us a two-tiered bog garden! The top is circular, maybe 10 or 12 feet in diameter, and the second is a semi-circle, step down from the larger one, with mayber a 4' radius (these measurements are guesses).

Well, we had a BLAST on saturday populating the bog - we had to leave everything in their pots and sink the pots in the ground since there was some question as to the sand they used to fill the bog, but that was ok - still looked great when we were done!

Also, there is a big ol' twisty stump that we proped up (maybe 3.5' high or so) in the bog, and covered with neps for a "nep waterfall" effect.

The only bad part is I didn't bring my camera - so any member who were there and took pics, PLEASE post some. :begging:

Ahhh.. I'm bangin my head against the wall cause I missed this one! I did want to be a part of this (and projects are fun) but yet again the $$ problem has cast it's ugly shadow.
I would be psyched to see pictures and this will be kick-*** for the show!

you know, I brought my camera, and didn't take any pictures. partially because I was covered with dirt and didn't want to mess up my camera. partially because I'm an idiot and forgot to charge the batteries. anyone??

sounds great, wish i had the time and transportation to attend a meeting once, lol, the life of as college student.

So who is who in the pics. I could figure out a couple of people but not all of them.

Sweet, thanks Presto!

0z, I go so infrequently, I don't really know too many names. Rather embarassing.

I see a pole! :D

That looks NICE! Good job you all!

We all know the pole.

I'll do my best, I'm so awful with names...

in the first picture from left to right:
Matt Opel; Lauren Rafka; Bob Rafka; Priscilla's husband Dennis; Ken Sicard [chloroplast on here]; the woman bending over is the photographer from the Courant; Priscilla Purinton talking; Zack; Zack's grandfather I think?; the guy who picks on me and I just realized I have no clue what his name is; Dave Schloat [Schloaty].

second picture:
the photographer from the Courant; Lauren; Jeff Matteson's wife I think?; Ken; a guy who just joined the society last month with his dad whose name I haven't learned; Dave Sackett [DaveS]; Jeff Matteson [JMatt].

third picture:
Schloaty.

to the right of that:
Bill Matthews [WildBill].

fourth down on the left:
Shaun Montminy; I think that's Jeff obscured behind the neps; Mike Stiffler [StifflerMichael]; I think the guy in the green shirt is the dad of the guy in the second picture; Dena Matthews; me.

Last edited:
*ahem*

The name is Dave SCHLOAT not shloat - hense the screen name schloaty. :p

...I guess that makes sense. *fixes* sorry!

No problem. I just thought it was funny because Nathan did the same thing on the NECPS web page.

???

Woah! The NECPS page got Updated!!!

(haha, sorry all... hadta say it)

LOL! Q, only us NECPS-er's will get that one.

Back