What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chicago Trib reporter seeks interview; any local/nearby CPer please respond

I am a Chicago Tribune garden reporter working on a story to introduce people to the idea of growing carnivorous plants indoors. I am trying to find a hobbyist in the Chicago area to interview on the subject. This would be a story for beginners, so I would like to talk about how you got started, what you do at home and what you would recommend to people whose interest in the subject might be piqued by the story and who might want to try it.

I would most like to conduct the interview in person, but would also be happy to correspond by e-mail.

I appreciate any help in getting I contact with Chicago hobbyists.

Thank you.

Beth Botts
Chicago Tribune Home&Garden section
312-222-4301
ebotts@tribune.com

Hello, you've come to a good place to look for someone since we seem to have a member from everywhere! I've moved this to General to get more exposure. I'm sure many many members here would love to give email/phone interviews on growing these plants indoors, if you're not specifically looking for from Chicago. Good luck!
Andrew

I think we have a few Growers from IL but i don't know where they live in IL.

Hope you find some one who knows what they are talking about!

I'm in the Kankakee area if your interested. But I think there are a few more closer to your area than I. I deal mainly with indoor / basement growing. Others have actual bog gardens that take our weather just fine. Depends on what your looking for.

Since almost all of the carnivorous plants are facing habitat destruction which is taking many species to the edge of extinction, I would suggest that you include a small part about the dangers that face these plants. You can talk to any North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC) member here including myself.

I can also send you many pictures of CP's in their natural habitats for you to use in the story.

Thank you so much for your interest in doing an article on carnivorous plants! We like the exposure so we can bring more people into this wonderful hobby but more importantly, an article could promote respect and conservation for our North American carnivorous plants. Many of our CPs are threatened in their habitat.

You've come to the right place. There are lots of people whom you could interview...we'll just have to find someone in your area.

You'll definately have to post a link to your article when it gets published. Maybe this will give us some more credibility among our peers (see a recent thread about people who think it is weird!).

I would be happy to talk about indoor growing, but I am not from Illinois. I just started growing this past year and have found out what a fun and relaxing hobby growing CPs is. And it allows me to talk to all the people on here!

I also think Ozzy has a great idea about the conservation efforts. He would be an excellent source, especially in light of all his discoveries and pictures he posts on his wild adventures!

xvart.

Bumping this...we need to find someone for this report to interview! This is a great opportunity!

I'd be happy to help ya out, if it were through the PM's or Email.

What about a Phone Call interview or are those not as interesting?

Hey guys, I emailed and got a response from this lady. Probably will talk to her next week as it sounds. She is also curious about folks that have outdoor bog type gardens in the area as well. I know we have several members that do so speak up you Sarracenia lovin' people. I'll tell her to check back in this topic for more info.

Thank you for all the responses. I had a nice talk with droseraguy this morning, but am still in the market for somebody else in the Chicago area, especially anybody who grows outdoors (bog gardens?)

Geography does matter, I'm sad to say....I'm really hoping to find somebody in the Chicago area. I talked last week with Barry Rice, author of "Growing Carnivorous Plants," and got lucky: He grew up in the same suburb I live in!

We find it makes a difference in our readers' interest if we talk to local sources about gardening topics. Among other things, it reassures them that they can do this in the Chicago climate. (Even with indoor gardening.)

Thanks again to everybody, and if you think of anybody local let me know.

Sounds like you're in good company. When you article posts, please let us know if there is a way we can view it online. Did droseraguy convince you to start growing CPs, Beth? Talk to enough people and I'm sure you'll be into in no time! lol.

xvart.

Back