Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JBL,
    I contribute (time and money) to our local counciling center and shelter for domestic violence victims. I, myself, have helped turn two mousy, beaten (in both senses of the word) women into strong, independant women who like throw down in the ring.

Talk about rewarding.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Heifer International is an organization that provides livestock http://www.heifer.org/. My wife & daughter have raised money for them.
    I have to second this recomendation. Its the main charity I give to. It tries to end world hunger by giving livestock and training to a family so that they dont need help again. They are taught to maintain the animals sustainably and the animals give what is usually sorely lacking in most diets where hunger is a problem, which is protein. This charity is awesome and I really urge you to consider them. Check out their website it will give a better description of them then I ever could.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Compassion' is a good organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys listed so many good causes! Keep them coming. And PAK, your charity is people helping people. St. Judes has a great rep. I'll probably give both locally and internationally.

Jimscott--Do you mean Compassion International--alleviating childhood poverty in Jesus's name? Or are you having pun with me?
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to be Mr. butthole, BUT I'd donate to a secular charity if I were you. That organization is great and does a ton of good, but why spend money on what's pretty much missionary work when you could give the same amount to a charity that isn't concerned with "releasing children from spiritual poverty"? and "church based programs" so they can become "christian adults"? I mean.... why not just help people instead of spreading Christianity? Of course, Compassion does NOT exclude any needy kids but they seem really... helpfully faith-based. I think a charity should be helping-based. How much of your donation goes to buy bibles and support church programs and such? Wouldn't spending that money on food and drugs help more? Just a thought.

Don't get me wrong, they are a GREAT organization, totally on the up-and-up, but I guess it's just a matter of if you want to help people or help people WHILE spreading christianity. It's you're money and whatever charity you choose will still be a charity, which is good no matter what the religion is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments Clint. As you know, for most Christians, spreading the message is considered helping people. But I don't want anyone else turning this into a 'Here's my thoughts on Christianity...' or any other religion thread.

I am researching all recommendations through Charity Navigator as a start. Any charity, secular or faith based, has a potential to spend funds in a way not compatible with personal beliefs. I'll make sure that my selection is compatible with mine. Anyone else can spend their money as they see fit.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol NO I don't want it to turn into that either lmao.

Here's the dude I was talking to it...come to think of it it might not be a charity. I'm too lazy to research it right now.

http://www.grameen-info.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mr. Butthole! I like that! I did look into Grameen because I recalled hearing about it on NPR. There is a US version of Grameen in San Diego but I think they have high admin expenses v. actual program expenses. Interesting stuff though!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast