What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what to do in Orlando, FL?

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
lol actually i was thinking dependign how long we are actually there i might think about renting a car and shooting up your way :grin: not sure how much the wife would like that idea though

I live a mile from the beach, Send her to the beach or maybe she can go shopping in Myrtle Beach.

You don't need to go anywhere else. Florida is where most CP grow in the U.S.

Not true, NC has more cp's than fl.

You people will argue about anything! Its obvious that Florida is way better than North Carolina, otherwise I'd be living there instead of here. Nobody is also bothering to mention that its about a 7 hour drive from Orlando to Atlanta or who knows how long it takes to get to the swampy hell that is N. Carolina. Plus Ozzy, there is also a Green Swamp in Florida - where I might add you may even get to see the skunk ape.

Umm... I've been to both and I like both... but given the choice i'd pick NC. Better people I guess.

You probably ran into all the relocated northerners while you were in Florida - that would give anyone a bad experience! This is a joke people - I don't want a rain of yankee hate pouring down on me - ya'll.

Nah it wasn't that. Lol, the people in FL were not unfriendly, but the people in NC were EXTRA friendly. It was like they were all your grandmother or something lol

I was just checking and you can get a plane ticket from orlando to here for as low as $118 round trip depending on the day you want to fly. That'll be cheaper if you don't want to bring the family along.

I'm pretty sure that Florida has more CPs

Nobody is also bothering to mention that its about a 7 hour drive from Orlando to Atlanta

your point.....................its 7 hours from my front door to Helena........in good weather........i do that drive every couple of months and dont think anything of it..........hell occationally ill get out of bed early on a Saturday morning..........drive 5 hours.......have lunch with my sister........do a lil shopping.........and drive 5 hours home that same day........you guys are wussies

To quote Larry Mellichamp "The Green Swamp hosts the largest diversity of carnivorous plants in the world. It also holds the most carnivorous plants in terms of sheer numbers of plants. There are probably a million of them throughout the region.

Of course he's talking about the Green Swamp in NC and not the one in Florida.

Lets go over the plants that grow in the Carolina's.

Of course we have Dionea muscipula.. It grows no where else in the world naturally.

We also have quite a few Sarracenias.

There are 6 varieties of flava's.

The varieties are flava, atropurpurea, maxima, ornata, cuprea, and rugeliiWe have S. rubra sub. rubra and jonesii, S.purpurea, S.minor, S.oreophila and S.psittacina. Even though it not native I can show you S. leucophylla.

We have five sundew. D. capillaris, D.brevfolia, D.intermedia, D.rotundifolia and D.filiformis

We have three butterworts, P.lutea, P. caerulea and P.pumila

I don't even know how many bladderworts we have. I can think of about 10 without even trying.
If you count the bladderworts then we have close to 30 different species of cp's growing in the Carolina's.

How many do you have in Florida?

Yes, I fully understand that a 7 hour drive in Montana is probably nothing - but then again isn't Montana a barren mountain lion infested wasteland where there is nothing else to occupy your time? My point was that in a civilized place like Florida, where there is an endless amount of things to do, a 7 hour drive is pretty much a wasted chunk of the day, especially if the destination is Georgia. Face it - you live in the north - you'll be in Fl on a vacation - its only a matter of time before you will be moving down here and moving in with Trapper and her mother-in-law. On a serious note, when it gets closer to your trip if you need directions or a ride from the airport let me know.

Awfully cocky aren't we?

Dude, I'm like you. I LOVE the city. BUT some people like the countryside and wide open spaces and the privacy that comes with living in the country. Some people like the quiet life.

Oh yeah, it's not nice to call some place uncivilized. Montana isn't some African village.

Montana isn't some African village.

Yeah Africa is somewhat civilized.

I actually don't live in Orlando, I live in a small town about 30 miles south in cattle country - the most exciting thing that happens around here are the cattle drives (no, I'm not joking) and there is a rodeo twice a year. However, I like the proximity to several major cities Tampa, Orlando, St. Petersburg, etc, that I can get to without a major drive across country. I didn't call Montana uncivilized - I only stated that Florida was civilized - it was only implied that Montana wasn't. By the way JLP since you are near Atlanta - how is the zoo? I've always thought about going and spring break is coming up.

Aww the zoo is AWESOME especially the reptile building. Havn't been there in years though :(

You MUST go to the gardens!

I heard the aquarium sucked.

Head over to Venice and spend some time collecting fossil shark teeth on the beach. My late uncle used to snorkel out to a shoal beyond one of the beaches and found some Pleistocene mammal fossils too. But he was a minister and probably didn't have to worry about sharks like me. The fishing is also good because the fish are different from what you're used to. The piers are easy or you can look for an accessible bank on a saltwater channel. If you go as the tide is coming in, it can be fascinating to just see what swims by, even if you don't catch anything. Better still, head further south and go bonefishing, something I never got to do when I used to go to Florida. Maybe even better than that, and something else I never did, is a canoe or sea kayak trip in the Everglades. I saw something about that on a TV show a few years ago and outfitters offer everything from a couple hours on the water to multi-day trips.

Well I am going to chime in here since I feel like an authority. I just came back from St. Pete where I spent the weekend with my in-laws. I can say, beyond a doubt that Floridians are uncivilized ruffians. My reason for saying this hinges entirely on road etiquette. In GA if you put on your turn signal when you are on the on ramp then people get out of your way so you can merge. If you are stupid enough to use a turn signal in FL odds are you will be cut off, gunned up on and/or fingered. Sometimes all of the above.

I will give you that the 8 hour drive suck. But if you have cruise control it is better.

ANd I also have to say that everyone in FL is a whimp. It was 50-70 the whole time I was down there and I swear people were wearing parkas.

See, what you folks are all forgetting when you complain about the driving in Florida: Floridians are at work during the day - we are all not on vacation like you all. So the people that you are running into on the roads (perhaps literally) are mostly other tourists who drive like that in their home states or countries. I am very courteous on the road - I always wait till I see what state the plates are from before I give you the finger, and it is always accompanied by a cheerful Florida smile. As to the temps - 50 is cold when you are used to 90's. We are not used to the cold fronts and even snow that Atlanta gets.

I lived in Florida for a time. Loved it! However, the time I spent in the Green Swamp of North Carolina was in the days where CP could be seen as far as the eye could see. I watched a local nursery truck pull up around the site I was at. A large flatbed truck. They literally filled it with S. flava's, minors, etc. When they left, I went to the spot and looked. The plants were so thick, you couldn't even tell that a couple thousand plants were gone. Not so today. Florida IS nice, but North Carolina still holds fonder memories. Busters attitude seems to suck, but pride where you live sometimes comes across that way.

Last edited:
Buster,

If the liscens plates had been from other states I could agree with you but every nitwit driver had a FL tag. Plus, who says I was driving during normal business hours?? The vast majoity of my driving was done during evening hours. And unless the work week is screwy in FL you all should be off on weekends like everyone else so you are just as likely to be driving as tourons.

As for the weather... Granted 50 may be cold to those who are used to 90 but it does not necessitate the use of full arctic expedition wear. It also does not explain why everyone in FL runs their AC so low as to invite hypothermia if you spend too long indoors. Explain that one to me!?!?!

Back