What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what to do in Orlando, FL?

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
LMAO...............was 40 here this weekend and i was in heaven...............didnt wear a coat all weekend and was completely comfortable..................was out walking the hilsides(which were mostly covered in snow) in a T-shirt, jeans and my normal walking shoes............it was beautiful out.........course being that last weeks high for a few days was -5 might have a bit to do with it :grin:

Years ago when I had grandparents in Florida, my grandfather pointed out the code letters on a license plate that showed the car was a rental and, therefore, usually a tourist. He said they were the craziest drivers. I think the state later changed the plates so it wouldn't be so easy for criminals to target them. Though their driving probably still gives them away. That said, it seems to me that a lot of the people who retire to Florida are the most aggressive, take every advantage sort of person I'm only too glad to be rid of. CT has more than enough for such a small state. Not that I'm sticking up for Florida natives, because I think alligators and water mocassins are gentler and more open minded than Florida's native species of human. But maybe being invaded by generations of outsiders can do that to people.

Ozzy...no sir. FL has more species than NC.

You can't count the variations in Sarracenia. Counting just species...FL has more than NC. If you have 6 variations of flava...we have 12. You can't find two identical flavas in Sandy Creek.

ActuallyI have no pride about living in Florida, I fully understand that it is just as crappy as the other 49 states - it really is just my attitude that sucks. What annoys me however is that after several years on here I have read countless posts on why people dislike florida - they have ranged from the animals, the plants, the weather, the scenery, the attractions, the natives, the tourists, the driving, etc.. Nobody forces anyone to come to Florida. If you have had a bad experience here, make a mental note to avoid the state in the future. I would not think of getting on a forum and berating the state you live in for its people and ammenities (except Montana- which everyone knows is a treeless coyote infested crawling with mountain lion wasteland). I went to college in New York - my car was rear ended twice - I have not climbed to the tallest peak in Fl and yelled about the crazy new york drivers. I was treated rudely in a BK restuarant in Ohio once- I have not labeled every Ohioan as an uncivilized ruffian. I am from Florida, if you cut me do I not bleed?..........

Nobody forces anyone to come to Florida.

You must not be married. Or if you are then your in-laws must live in the same state as you. :p. Not so much saying I was "forced" to go to FL but when the in-laws wish to see their one and only grand daughter it is hard to say "But I hate FL because the drivers suck so tough for you" without seeming like a complete jackass.

And also, please note that I never said I hated FL. All I said was that the people in FL were uncivilized ruffians. I still like the state itself, for the wildlife. Besides I only take serious issue with the driver aspect. I hate CA for the same reason (and by extension any idiot Californian who moves to CO and then complains about how much snow there is on the roads in winter.) I do not dislike Floridians for being wimps about the weather, I just find it a good means to mock them. Seriously, how can anyone justifyably call 60F "cold" when it is the outside temp but "normal" when it is what they have their AC set to??

Last edited:
(except Montana- which everyone knows is a treeless coyote infested crawling with mountain lion wasteland)

buster..............would you do me a favor and forward this statement to all the Kalifornians moving up here trying to make western MT into Kalifornia Part II...............

I still think that Gatorland Zoo is the place to be... always was my favorite!
Sky Swing's alotta fun too, and the other random stuff along the road on the way to Disney like Go-Kart tracks and whatnot.
Sea World of course! Especially the Shark Encounter and the Budweiser bar at the back, I think it's like a 2 drink max, but it's more like 10.

I take a month's hiatus and find this... I used to lived in Orlando for five years while I was going to school for prosthetics and animatronics. Gatorland is a must!
I was there in my early twenties so I was a youngster...
I'd say go to Church Street Station lots of bars but there are also shops and a decent haunted house I did some work for. The train station is a must as well. I don't know if it's still there but Mulvaneys is a good spot for a pint and just around the corner from there is "The Hog's A$$ Brewery" and you can see some of my work.
Hogsass.jpg

There's a trigger that sends smoke or confettii out of the rear every night at midnight.

I just came back from St. Pete where I spent the weekend with my in-laws. I can say, beyond a doubt that Floridians are uncivilized ruffians. My reason for saying this hinges entirely on road etiquette.
Answer from an uncivilized ruffian;
Road etiquette? There is no mention of that in the Florida Drivers Handbook.
We have "Tourist Season" down here. There is no bag limit. :welcome:

Road etiquette? Woah, try driving around in Brooklyn, where people get shot over parking spaces....

Ozzy...no sir. FL has more species than NC.

List them as I have done and we shall compare.

You can't count the variations in Sarracenia. Counting just species...FL has more than NC. If you have 6 variations of flava...we have 12. You can't find two identical flavas in Sandy Creek.

I didn't count the variations of flava's I just listed them.

I said we have close to 30 species of cp's in the Carolinas, That's not counting the variations of the same species. I wish I knew how many bladderworts we had so I could give you an exact count. So if there are more cps in Florida than list them so we can put this issue to rest.

you two still arguing on this?

Fair enough. Let's see...

Sarracenia:
flava
leucophylla
rubra
psittacina
purpurea
minor

Drosera:
capillaris
intermedia
brevifolia
filliformis tracyii
filliformis Fl. Red species

Pinguicula:
ionantha
planifolia
primuliflora
caerulea
lutea
pumila

Catopsis berteroniana

There alone Florida beats North Carolina. We don't even need to do Utricularia.

Hey Rattler,

Getting back to your question here.
If you do find yourself in Orlando next fall, don't miss this.
These are some of the biggest Orchid growers in the country. Look at the map, those are all within a 10 mile radius of Orlando, you could walk it.... These places are absolutly spellbinding to tour. And much unlike the horror's of Mickey Mouse Ville, the tours are free, unless you decide you can't leave without spending all your vacation funds on their products....

Yeah, that's just what he needs to see. Maybe someone else can provide a link showing every gun shop in the surrounding area. Of course that might just get him shot by his travelling companion(s) for getting too distracted by all the orchids.

So no count for N.C.? Let's see:

Sarracenia:
flava
purpurea
rubra
minor

Drosera:
capillaris
intermedia
filliformis
brevifolia

Pinguicula:
caerulea
lutea
pumila

It's close. Unless Utrics tip the balance significantly, I think Florida wins.

You forgot Flytraps Manny. The like, coolest CP's ever!

Introduced.

Back