Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: for all you anti-hunters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    correction. the quota is 25 animals out of a population of about 150 mountain lions
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was through the Black Hills bout 4 years ago.................theres actually more than a few ppl in there cant image there is alot of areas with very few ppl like there is here in MT, especially with suitible habitat..................the issue with any major preditor(be it lions, wolves or grizzly's) is that they have a rather large home range and generally, especially with wolves or cats, they are quite territorial...............which means large tracks of land with few of the critters...................IIRC MT's quota is somewhere around 120 animals but MT breaks up the state into districts and only so many can be harvested out of a particular distirict.................most districts its 2-4 but a couple have 8 or 9 allowed...............not all areas take their quota every year though either.............

captive bred cougars are easy to find..............the chances of you finding a home for the above cat after live trapping it is VERY slim
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    endangered or not an able bodied preditor such as that is most definatly an immediate risk to the ppl in the house..................i would rather shoot it now and risk fines than leave it be, call Fish and Wildlife and see if they are able to catch it...........hell we have a heck of a time even getting our Fish and Wildlife officers to even admit there are cougars here and there was one killed no more than 10 miles from town not 4 years ago...........and another was tearing up someones colts 20 miles south of here............if its like pulling teeth to even get them to admit that they are here when EVERYONE knows they are, i cant see the smarts in leaving the cat for them to handle when it would be a simple matter of dispatching it then and there[/QUOTE]

I know how hard it is to get the DNR to admit that mountain lions are around. Here in Michigan up until last year the DNR said there were no moutain lions in the lower peninusula and now they say they are only in the northern part of the lower peninsula even though I know two people who have run across one while deer hunting in this area(lower western part of the lower peninsula). This area is way too populated to support any mountain lions with out run in with people being unavoidable. Though I figure if they arent here then no one will miss one if its gone if you know what im saying. Not that I advocate killing them just to kill them, but if that was my house I would need to be digging a big hole.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say it AGAIN, i did not say these were endangered, only that the term shoot, shovel, and shut up has been applied to endangerd species!
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parents who smoke are a much greater threat to their children (due to the increased probability of them taking up smoking) than are the toothy critters outside the back door. I don't advocate establishing quotas for shooting smoking parents either. Shooting one that is a serious threat is different (I'm referring back to the critters here). Someone who thinks they can move into a "wild" area and then kill every potential threat is looking for some kind of Disney wilderness. No less than someone who refuses to allow deer hunting in their leafy suburbs.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch....................your missing the point................the 3 S's are quite often applied to a critter that is not nor has it ever been endangered...............the grey wolf................heard the same applied to mountain lions quite a bit as well...............shooting one of these critters out of season can mean stiff fines and jail time..............

Bruce there is a big difference between killin' every potental threat(if so i would be all for killin every rattler around) and killin' a critter such as the above cat..............i dont see the above cat as a potential threat...........displaying behaviors such as that(on the porch, no fear of ppl) is most definatly a real and present threat......................if it was a black bear instead of a cougar i would call fish and game and not think much of it............if it was a griz instead of the cougar i would call fish and game aslong as it wasnt trying to enter the house..............but a wolf or a cougar is going to wind up in a hole out in the yard..............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you are missing my point. The 3 S's are applied to a range of inconvenient wildlife. What angers me is when applied to endangered species. I dont know what that has to do with the grey wolf... wich by the way, we hear mountain lion, bison, and deer kills all the time but very few wolf attacks ... we hear cattle occasionaly.... but so do alot of things....

As for wolfs not being an endangerd species, you are absolutely right. Globally they are considerd least concern, with strong canadian populations. On the subspecies level, many are imperiled. The only one on this continent is the mexican gray wolf. Gray wolf: not endangerd. I feel the mexican subspecies should be protected from extinction, but others that occour in america... *shrug* im fairly neutral
    The Service had listed several subspecies of gray wolf under the Endangered Species Act between 1973 and 1976, but later recognized that the approach of protecting individual gray wolf subspecies may not provide adequate protection due to overlapping subspecies’ boundaries and wolves’ highly mobile nature. Therefore, in 1978 the Service listed the entire gray wolf species as endangered, except in Minnesota where it was listed as threatened, in the coterminous United States. The species-level listing (as opposed to the previous subspecies level listings) prompted a national focus on the gray wolf, although the Service committed to continuation of subspecies conservation efforts, including the Mexican wolf, where appropriate.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pick up my .54 caliber and let the hammer down. No more worries. Mountain Lions are really getting thick around here, and as rattler probably knows, we just had another attack. Only truly stupid animal on this earth is man. As for rattlesnakes, I either walk around them, or, if hungry, kill it and take it home. Otherwise, I appreciate it for what it is, and give it its space.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast