What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for all you anti-hunters

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Because people know domestic dogs can be a threat, they think wolfs must be the same- or worse, because they are wild. Its flawed logic on their part that is not backed up by statistics. . In North America, people realized that in over one hundred years of documentation, there had been no verified human fatality caused by an attack from a healthy wolf.

As for the cattle industry, the Canadian cattle industry has not exactly been brought to its knees by the large wolf presence there.

Oh, what a total load of testosterone-laced BS.

Do you know how many people have been killed by cougars in the past century? 16, with only 100 attacks (one per year, and look at that miserable rate of deaths per attack). Bees kill more than twice that every year. Better get the rifles, I saw a nasty looking wasp yesterday!
Mokele
I'm sorry but you statement is inaccurate.
Without even trying I can find 10 confirmed deaths after 1991, in the same breath 9 confirmed from 1890 to 1989 and only one confirmed death from that time period happened before 1909 so it still makes your "in the past century" statement false. Then consider the people that inexplicably went missing in high cougar population habitat, you can safly attribute 2% of adult stature to the mountain lion and 6% of child stature to them as well.
(insert rant about extreme left and right wing propaganda here)
You have to filter out the agendas and do your own research. I was only looking for news paper accounts and I'm positive that if I started calling DNR's and DHR's I could find even higher numbers.

I live in Michigan and when I exit the troll zone (Lower peninsula) and go to the up the basic rule is yell not scream if that does not work shoot, call the state police wait until 5 minutes before their e.t.a. and call the DNR. This apples to cougars, bears, and wolves.

Mokele.......................i know a bit about cougars..............i know even in areas where they are actually common, its fairly rare to see one, not because they are spread thin but because they tend to avoid ppl.........most mountain lions in places such as MT HATE dogs and avoid ppls houses because of the dogs............why? MT allows the hunting of lions with hounds.......alot of "hunters" with hounds dont actually kill them, they just enjoy running their hounds, treeing cats and getting pictures..............a couple of the most serious hounds men i know havent shot a cougar in 10 years.........................IMHO a healthy cougar, in the state of Montana, SHOULD BE quite uninterested in approaching ppl's houses. exceptions are eastern Montana where there are few hound hunters due to low cougar densities and on the edges of cities where the private property prevents hounds me from doing their trade...........................................a cat such as the above in MT is a dead cat................

How many people have been killed cougars, bears and wolves in Michigan to lead to having a basic rule of yelling followed by shooting?

As for treeing cougars in Montana; which is harder to find, a cougar or a tree?

welcome to Vater Araignee!

I have a solution to those nasty-looking wasps- a pitcher plant!

And rattler_mt is correct about mountain lions: That cat is a threat, no doubt about it

easier to find one here than North Dakota Bruce :grin:

Haha! True, that! Too few trees where i live also.

Ever since a tree fell on our deck and broke the windows I've been fighting the hardwood agenda.

Muerte a los arboles malvados!

I'm sure more people are killed by falling trees than by cougar attacks. Maybe the Montana houndsmen should be chasing trees up cougars.

I am! Stop the hardwood agenda! Stop the grass roots!

I SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!

Come visit the tree forum i frequent- we will say that trees are a convenient thing to lynch you from... kidding, kidding.

Softwoods all the way!

*wouldnt it sound better with "stomp on the grassroots"?

Lol, a tree forum?

There really IS a forum for everything! I knew it!

Even though this is a CP forum, which is by it's nature weird, for some reason a tree forum seems even more obscure.

we get more visits than this place ever does. Everyone has a tree or two, and if they have problems they can seek the experts opinion on stuff such as tree placement, siting, and maitenence. Anything involving trees, and most everyone has one. Not so with CP's. There is also a maple forum for those who like those horrid things and a conifer forum too.

Conifers are the best.

Are Cycads considered to be trees? I'm guessing not but if they are then they are the best!

i love cycads. Frankly i am going to collect them in addition to cp's when i have the space. Right now i have a collection of one, but... someday

I'm sorry but you statement is inaccurate.
Without even trying I can find 10 confirmed deaths after 1991, in the same breath 9 confirmed from 1890 to 1989 and only one confirmed death from that time period happened before 1909 so it still makes your "in the past century" statement false

Oh, gee, I was off by 2. Whoop-de-freaking-do! Surely this invalidates by point, by raising the number of people killed by cougars this century to something like the several hundred thousand killed in automobile accidents!

Oh, wait, it only raises it to less than 1 death every 5 years (most concentrated in recent timed due to the swelling human population). Gee, that's still an awful threat! It's not like bees kill more people in a year.

You have to filter out the agendas and do your own research. I was only looking for news paper accounts and I'm positive that if I started calling DNR's and DHR's I could find even higher numbers.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/issues/lion/attacks.html

16 in CA in the past century. Such a huge number! Care to apply your great research skills to find out how many people domestic dogs killed this year? Quite a different perspective, eh?

Then consider the people that inexplicably went missing in high cougar population habitat, you can safly attribute 2% of adult stature to the mountain lion and 6% of child stature to them as well.

I find it ironic that you lecture me about sources, then proceed to simply make up numbers without any sort of basis.

IMHO a healthy cougar, in the state of Montana, SHOULD BE quite uninterested in approaching ppl's houses. exceptions are eastern Montana where there are few hound hunters due to low cougar densities and on the edges of cities where the private property prevents hounds me from doing their trade...........................................a cat such as the above in MT is a dead cat................

Two things:
1) You said these pics were taken in SD
2) Any learned behavior takes time to learn. In any population, there will therefore be individuals who have not yet learned it, especially younger animals. This doesn't make them dangerous, just inexperienced.

Seriously, are these the best defenses you can make for blowing an animal away just because it showed up on your porch? It's pathetic. *This* is why the DNR doesn't leave things in the hands of individuals.

Mokele

How many people have been killed cougars, bears and wolves in Michigan to lead to having a basic rule of yelling followed by shooting?
Let me clarify.
That's Yell to attempt to scare the animal. if it does not jet, then shoot.
It is also my rule, having been chased, luckily bears cant climb sideways on power towers very well.

welcome to Vater Araignee!

I have a solution to those nasty-looking wasps- a pitcher plant!

And rattler_mt is correct about mountain lions: That cat is a threat, no doubt about it
Thanks for the welcome.
I too have a solution for the nasty looking WASP, tell them they over weight then they will go anorexic and soon the males have nothing to breed with.
Oh, gee, I was off by 2. Whoop-de-freaking-do! Surely this invalidates by point, by raising the number of people killed by cougars this century to something like the several hundred thousand killed in automobile accidents!
Oh, wait, it only raises it to less than 1 death every 5 years (most concentrated in recent timed due to the swelling human population). Gee, that's still an awful threat! It's not like bees kill more people in a year.
Like I said, "I was only looking for news paper accounts and I'm positive that if I started calling DNR's and DHR's I could find even higher numbers."

16 in CA in the past century. Such a huge number! Care to apply your great research skills to find out how many people domestic dogs killed this year? Quite a different perspective, eh?
Calli is not to only state and I believe that a large part of the dog population should be killed without mercy. The pit-bull alone causes about 7 a year. In Detroit the problem with maulings became so bad that there is a no adoption clause on on the dog.

I find it ironic that you lecture me about sources, then proceed to simply make up numbers without any sort of basis.
Well gee maybe you are correct about that one, let me see if I can get somebody at National Geographic to explain the math to me.
Seriously, are these the best defenses you can make for blowing an animal away just because it showed up on your porch? It's pathetic. *This* is why the DNR doesn't leave things in the hands of individuals.
hmmmm...
Funny thing is, when I used to go hunting the only thing I brought with me was my 35mm.
Now when I go hunting I have my 9mm (that was only purchased for killing humans) and my 35mm.
Being chased by something that can kill you with one blow or bite kind of puts a whole new perspective on things.

Aww WASPs have feelings, too! Just give them their mail-order painkillers and booze they need to face the day and they'll be happy.

Extra points for those who don't know if you can find out know what WASP means! No googling!

Like I said, "I was only looking for news paper accounts and I'm positive that if I started calling DNR's and DHR's I could find even higher numbers."

And I linked to a government website, showing numbers not much different. Hell, even if you found I was off ten-fold, that would *still* be a tiny number of animals.

Calli is not to only state

It is, however, the one with the highest number of cougars by a wide margin combined with the largest number of human, leading to a lot of attacks. Other states contribute minimally to the cougar attack rates in all the sources I looked at.

Well gee maybe you are correct about that one, let me see if I can get somebody at National Geographic to explain the math to me.

There's no math, that's the problem. You're just *assuming*, without cause or verification, that a not-insubstantial percentage of missing hikers are cougar victims, and just guessing about the numbers. I could just as easily claim they were abducted by aliens with just as much proof, since they are *missing*.

Being chased by something that can kill you with one blow or bite kind of puts a whole new perspective on things.

Been there, done that. I've dealt with giant lizards, venomous snakes, and crocodilians (who, incidentally, have a hide that can easily deflect small arms fire), and been constricted by a 12 foot python. You don't see me reaching for a gun every time I see these, because I know that the danger is actually much less than I face every time I get into a car (especially in this city).

Mokele

Back