Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: for all you anti-hunters

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys argue about the dumbest stuff, I swear lmao.

Then again I'm the first to go head-to-head with the religious fundamentals so... Lol I guess I like to argue over dumb stuff, too!

We have bear here like Rattler has mountain lions. They never bother us, but they sure are entertaining to watch. Once I was walking in our back yard and I heard a "mwaaaaaargh!" and I looked up and it was a black coalla bear! No.. it was a baby black bear! I knew the mother was around so I started RUNNING for my life even though I don't think you're supposed to run lmao. I've never ran SO fast lmao.

And one time there was a storm and like 3 babies were up in our tree and the tree was waving and our dog was barking at the mom (which was a beast!) and We wanted to get the dog inside to leave the mother alone but there was no way WE were gonna go out there.

And one time my dad shot a bear who's foot was basically rotting off because it had been bitten by a snake. I guess that was part mercy killing part sport ; winter was just around the coroner I mean corner (haha, bad joke!) That bear is mounted in the basement in my dads little "museum" of animals and indian artifacts and stuff.

And the other bear that's mounted in our living room standing up was shot after it charged by dad. Maybe it was a bluff charge? Probably. I wouldn't have taken the chance, that's for sure.

By the way, for those of you who've never had to drag a giant bear out of the woods, those guys are HEAVY!!!!!!!

HEAVY!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, what a total load of testosterone-laced BS.

Do you know how many people have been killed by cougars in the past century? 16, with only 100 attacks (one per year, and look at that miserable rate of deaths per attack). Bees kill more than twice that every year. Better get the rifles, I saw a nasty looking wasp yesterday!

How does it approaching a home *once* out of curiosity make it a threat? A single approach does not mean it's lost it's fear of humans, and certainly doesn't warrant shooting it. You want to ward it off, pop it with a paintball gun; if other people report a cougar with a big pink spot hanging around, *then* you know you have a problem. You cannot, however, determine if there is a problem based on a single encounter; one instance does not make a habit.

Seriously, if you live in an area with large predators, you have to be willing to accept that risk; if you don't like it, move to NYC or somewhere. Besides, just buy strong doors, it's not like they know how to work doorknobs. These animals are a trivial risk, and killing them on sight (oh, I'm sorry "when it gets to close", which is the same thing) is simply unjustified.

This is why the DNR acts like it does - to keep testosterone poisoning from putting the species back on the brink of extinction. If you can't stand the trivial threat from local predators, get out of their habitat. Oh, and by the way, you're many, many times more likely to be killed on the road while moving away than you are by any large predator, even one that *has* lost its fear of humans.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably aren't impressed by bulging pickup trucks either.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and additional data points:
    Number of humans killed by healthy wolves in the US, ever: 0
    Number of humans killed by rabid wolves in the US, ever: 1
    Number of humans killed by bears in the US, in the past 100 years: 107 (52 black, 50 brown, 5 polar)
    Number of humans killed by alligators, in the past 40 years: 20

In contrast:
    Dingos, in a six-year period: 20 fatalities
    Leopards, 10 years, one forest: 37 fatalities, 652 injured
    Lions, 15 years, Tanzania only: 500+ attacks, many fatal
    Tigers, southwest Bangladesh only, last year: 22 fatalities
    Elephants, India only, per year: 100 fatalities average.

Yeah, we're in *real* danger....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many more people are killed by peanut butter than by cougars, but just try to get a state legislature to offer a bounty on peanut butter. I bet they'd take it more seriously if it played the bad guy role in some Disney animal adventure movies.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 'spose this has been mentioned in this thread already, but most attacks by animals are probably from human stupidity, or curiosity rather.

When I was visiting the zoo a few years back, a little girl asked her mother when viewing the tiger cage, "Mommy, why can't we pet the tigers?".

Maybe it's just me, but despite the fact that that girl was young, maybe 7 years old, I'm guessing it's our culture that makes it so that the younger generation views anything with fur as being nice. TV is prolly what did it. But I think that a child that young should know that animals like that are in cages for a reason.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Killum.

Shootem.

Mountem.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao Mokele, When I saw Dingo's I thought it was a Wombat lmao.

"Jesus I had no idea Wombats were to vicious!"

Just look at this beast. You can see the murder in it's eyes.... http://www.reisealbum.de/bilder/aust...oss/wombat.jpg

I hear the babies kill more than the adults... They lure you in with their cuteness, and when you're in the grasp of their innocent look, that's when they strike! http://www.lrsd.ab.ca/staff/brownr/a..._tas/tas22.jpg

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast