What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for all you anti-hunters

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
.............you get home from work...................start making dinner.................your young kids are sitting on the dining room floor playing....................you look out the back sliding glass door and see this eyeing your kids...........what is your plan of action?........(BTW this story DOES go with these pics)

ML1.jpg

ML2.jpg

ML3.jpg

ML4.jpg

He looks cold. I'd open the door, let him come in and open up a can of kitty food.

you do that Ozzy................................where do you want me to send the flowers for the funeral?

Why do you think I'll kill him?

i think it will be an interesting match.........................either way would you please have someone standing by with a video camera................would be footage worth paying for :grin:

WOW somthing i;d like to have mounted in my living room!

would you please have someone standing by with a video camera................would be footage worth paying for
I don't know why you'd want to see a video of him laying in my lap purring. ???

Awwwwwwwww...great pics! He was just dropping by for a peek...to see what was going on. :) Probably smelled your dinner.....or the kids. JUST KIDDING!

I know its not good to have a wild creature around your house like that especially with children and pets around. But...still, that's a magnificent animal!

you know how it goes, rattler_mt. every anti-hunting person is all SAVE THE MOUNTAIN LION untill they get into a situation like that. Then its another story!

I would be all like, what if that thing comes back. Are my kids safe to go out? I dont agree with eradicating the species, but i understand you did what you needed to do.... whatever you did do... what did you do? Im assuming you shot it/

.............you get home from work...................start making dinner.................your young kids are sitting on the dining room floor playing....................you look out the back sliding glass door and see this eyeing your kids...........what is your plan of action?........(BTW this story DOES go with these pics)
That’s pretty scary; I don’t think it would get through the glass, though.???
Rattler, did you take these pictures?

He looks cold. I'd open the door, let him come in and open up a can of kitty food.
Meow!:-))

i didnt take the pics.....................got tehm off a hunting forum i frequent IIRC the pics were taken in South Dakota...............

the issue with the above cat(and that cat only) is it does not fear ppl.............a normal wild cougar would NEVER get that close to ppl...........its a matter of WHEN not IF that cat goes after some one............................

interesting statistic...........California, which does not allow hunting of cougars, kill more of them each year for reasons like pictured above, than any hunters kill in a state that allows the hunting of them.

if something like the above happened around my house(before i moved into town atleast) their would be no pictures of the cat, it would have disappeared into a hole on my property and know one would know about it..............Shoot........Shovel........Shut Up...........

Shoot........Shovel........Shut Up...........

When that line is applied to endangerd species i get offended, but since this is not one of those cases, i completely understand what your coming from.

In SD, large numbers do not exist anywhere besides the black hills, and there they are not exactly common.

does SD have a cougar season? i know ND just opend their first this year............IIRC they met the quota in under 7 days.....................

endangered or not an able bodied preditor such as that is most definatly an immediate risk to the ppl in the house..................i would rather shoot it now and risk fines than leave it be, call Fish and Wildlife and see if they are able to catch it...........hell we have a heck of a time even getting our Fish and Wildlife officers to even admit there are cougars here and there was one killed no more than 10 miles from town not 4 years ago...........and another was tearing up someones colts 20 miles south of here............if its like pulling teeth to even get them to admit that they are here when EVERYONE knows they are, i cant see the smarts in leaving the cat for them to handle when it would be a simple matter of dispatching it then and there

Catch it! If it's not afraid of people, it's definately a danger. However, if you catch it, and you can find a zoo that will take it, a fearless cat would be a good attraction.

Oh im not saying a cougar is endangered. Its not. I was refering to some species of bird or something.

SD does have a cougar season, a small one (a quota of 7? something like that. it does not reach above 20) part it is by those lawmakers who think any number of big predators is too much (we really only have a small population ) but problem animals such as this are not included under it. Not that that is a issue- its not, im just saying. I recall a few years ago that officials at custer state park stating that they only had 2 big cats in the entire park. Its a big park, so that struck me as rather low. I guess the habitat must not be the best.

correction. the quota is 25 animals out of a population of about 150 mountain lions

i was through the Black Hills bout 4 years ago.................theres actually more than a few ppl in there cant image there is alot of areas with very few ppl like there is here in MT, especially with suitible habitat..................the issue with any major preditor(be it lions, wolves or grizzly's) is that they have a rather large home range and generally, especially with wolves or cats, they are quite territorial...............which means large tracks of land with few of the critters...................IIRC MT's quota is somewhere around 120 animals but MT breaks up the state into districts and only so many can be harvested out of a particular distirict.................most districts its 2-4 but a couple have 8 or 9 allowed...............not all areas take their quota every year though either.............

captive bred cougars are easy to find..............the chances of you finding a home for the above cat after live trapping it is VERY slim

endangered or not an able bodied preditor such as that is most definatly an immediate risk to the ppl in the house..................i would rather shoot it now and risk fines than leave it be, call Fish and Wildlife and see if they are able to catch it...........hell we have a heck of a time even getting our Fish and Wildlife officers to even admit there are cougars here and there was one killed no more than 10 miles from town not 4 years ago...........and another was tearing up someones colts 20 miles south of here............if its like pulling teeth to even get them to admit that they are here when EVERYONE knows they are, i cant see the smarts in leaving the cat for them to handle when it would be a simple matter of dispatching it then and there[/QUOTE]

I know how hard it is to get the DNR to admit that mountain lions are around. Here in Michigan up until last year the DNR said there were no moutain lions in the lower peninusula and now they say they are only in the northern part of the lower peninsula even though I know two people who have run across one while deer hunting in this area(lower western part of the lower peninsula). This area is way too populated to support any mountain lions with out run in with people being unavoidable. Though I figure if they arent here then no one will miss one if its gone if you know what im saying. Not that I advocate killing them just to kill them, but if that was my house I would need to be digging a big hole.

I will say it AGAIN, i did not say these were endangered, only that the term shoot, shovel, and shut up has been applied to endangerd species!

Back