What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finding good deals on Laptops

• Thread starter ktulu
  • Start date
So I am in the market for getting a laptop computer and am wondering if anyone knows where I can get a good deal. I have a pretty good idea of the features I wan in one now I am just looking for a place to find one that will give me the best deal. I remember there used to be a website that had listed all sorts of differnt coputers and different dealers in a very basic fashion that I used to use but I cant remember the name of it. If anyone knows this site or another that will allow me to compare differnt sources of computers please let me know.

Thanks
Ktulu

Its always worth trying to look on Ebay. It would help me to know what your looking for in the computer

Jayson.

Bestbuy has weekly specials in stores. My roomate just picked up an Acer brand fo $700 and its nice!

I got an acer for less than $400 Circuit City. It has everything I need, but it does have sucky speakers

I got mine for free. It was just sitting on a table at the library and I guess the owner didn't want it anymore. Must not have wanted his coat anymore either because it was still on the back of the chair. Which is really weird considering how cold it's been. I already have a coat, so I left that for someone else. I'm charitable like that. There was some shouting back there as I was leaving the library; maybe some inconsiderate people were arguing over the coat.

I will have to check out the library, I dont need a new coat but a free laptop would be nice. LOL

As for what I want in the computer
1GB ram min.
Stand alone video card with its own memory
Windows XP prefered (Vista is just too new to know is its the next windows ME)
a major name brand perferably so that I can go to a big box store and try one out to make sure I dont hate the touch pad and keyboard. (i.e. Acer touchpad and my hands just dont get along)

I also would prefer to stay away from the big box stores especially Best Buy I just have bad luck with those guys.

How about a warehouse clubs like Costco, Sam's, BJs? I saw some laptops that were not the latest and greatest, but they seemed decent. One had Nvidia card 6800 which is a little behind, but might meets your needs.

Last spring my wife and I were at Office Depot and we got a Gateway for under five hundred bucks. All those stores like Office Debot have great deals all the time.

xvart.

Are you in university? If so, check if their IT dept has any special deals with Dell. Mine does, and I got 12% off my laptop, bringing it down to a mere $1600 (it's a *nice* laptop).

Mokele

Back