Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of. Depends if you have a latter or not. The grapes sorta drop like crazy in late summer and get all over the patio, and the only way to get rid of 'em is to either wait til they dry and brush them away, or spray 'em with a hose.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol
    that stinks why don't you just eat them before they fall off?
    I mean I don't know about you but the slightly unripe ones are my favorite!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well do you guys know any set ups i should use? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it would be easier to find plans on the internet, but I did find this - http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...ors/grape.html. Also look for a fruit-growing book at your library.

The website is from Texas, so ignore its variety and time-of-year recommendations. But the arbor it shows is similar to what a lot of the old Italians have in their yard around here, except they don't put bricks underneath here and most use galvanized steel pipe instead of wood. Steel doesn't look so good this time of year. Notice the plan calls for 10 ft 4x4 posts with only 2 ft below ground. That's a 4:1 ratio of above to below ground and that seems too high. I'd aim for at least 2 1/2 ft underground (3:1) because a mature arbor carries a lot of weight and can catch a lot of wind. But the 6 ft spacing is good.

You can plant a different variety at each post and put a table and chairs underneath during mid-summer and take them out when the grapes start to ripen. Wine grapes are very sweet and Ben's either don't get enough sun or it's a little too cold for the variety or there's a soil issue or something else.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for that link, i had gotten worried no one new!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12