What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grapes

Does any one here grow grapes... I was curious about the best structure for training them up to be nice and tall... :-O

Im getting 3, what is the best method for supporting them?

We have a grape vine growing on a fig tree.

Do you want them growing overhead on an arbor you can stand under? That's what the old Italians around here do. Commercial growers don't do that; they grow them lower on wires. I'm sure I can steer you to some good websites. What varieties will you have?

Uhmm I couldn't tell you, Onces that looks like they would survive well here. (Zone 5/6 Ohio)

Well i live in wine country here in western NY and the wineries grow them on woodin post in the growned with wire connected to each other and they grow on them. I would think that reisland(wine grape), for eating i would recommend concord and niagara grapes.

I live in upstate New York, about an hour north of Canandaigua, which I think is pretty wine-crazy. We have a huge grape thing that grows over a patio on this giant trellis, and makes tons and tons of grapes every year. Though, they're sort of wine grapes and don't taste too sweet.

-Ben

I think we got one Wine grape, and 2 eating grapes.

I love wine, i just need to be able to actually make it, right now thats with the help of my mom, for obviously reasons I got a couple hybrids from Gurnies i think. (IN MY state its legal for me to drink as long as i dont go over the limit and its given to me by my parent)

I think i like the idea of the one that grows over. More space for it to fruit. and easier to get fruit?

Sort of. Depends if you have a latter or not. The grapes sorta drop like crazy in late summer and get all over the patio, and the only way to get rid of 'em is to either wait til they dry and brush them away, or spray 'em with a hose.

-Ben

lol
that stinks why don't you just eat them before they fall off?
I mean I don't know about you but the slightly unripe ones are my favorite!!!

Well do you guys know any set ups i should use? Thanks.

I thought it would be easier to find plans on the internet, but I did find this - http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/grapearbors/grape.html. Also look for a fruit-growing book at your library.

The website is from Texas, so ignore its variety and time-of-year recommendations. But the arbor it shows is similar to what a lot of the old Italians have in their yard around here, except they don't put bricks underneath here and most use galvanized steel pipe instead of wood. Steel doesn't look so good this time of year. Notice the plan calls for 10 ft 4x4 posts with only 2 ft below ground. That's a 4:1 ratio of above to below ground and that seems too high. I'd aim for at least 2 1/2 ft underground (3:1) because a mature arbor carries a lot of weight and can catch a lot of wind. But the 6 ft spacing is good.

You can plant a different variety at each post and put a table and chairs underneath during mid-summer and take them out when the grapes start to ripen. Wine grapes are very sweet and Ben's either don't get enough sun or it's a little too cold for the variety or there's a soil issue or something else.

thanks for that link, i had gotten worried no one new!

Back