What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

freaking insaine............................

the last "assult weapons" ban lasted from 1994 to 2004 and did ABSOLUTLY NOTHING for crime rates...

I'd be interested in seeing the crime rates statistic broken down into greater categories like crimes by minors, school shootings, etc. It's possible that the ban did decrease certain areas of the crime rate statistic while the other areas inflated. I don't know if this is true or not, but I don't think it's fair to say the bill did nothing by one lump statistic.

Buggy is a bit over the edge with his seat belt pet peeve; some of these laws and regulations DO make sense. Even though I HATE being told what to do, I recognize the benefit of the seat belt law. ...Too many laws and regs are made to prevent law suits.

I agree that the seat belt law (and similar laws) protect those that aren't the ones in violation. If I accidentally cause a car wreck and the victim is not wearing a seat belt and dies then I am facing vehicular manslaughter and not some lesser vehicular crime. Of course, I did cause the wreck, but it's possible that the person could have survived (depending on the degree of the accident) and then I would not be a "murderer."

I must be honest that I am not educated on the types of guns in the bill, but I believe there should be restrictions on some level of guns.

xvart.

Guys, I'm watching man of the year and it's WAY better than I expected! This movie reminds me of what bug was talking about.

as to why i am so very anti-gun control:

Soviet Union.............Stalin proposes Licensing of owners and Ban on possession in 1929........by their own admission atleast 681,692 people were shot during 1937-38 alone

Guatemala...........1960-1981.................Register guns & owners,Licensing with high fees, Prohibit carrying guns, Bans on guns, sharp tools, Confiscation powers.......100,000-200,000 Mayans & other Indians, political enemies killed

Uganda requires register all guns & owners licenses for transactions in 1970................300,000 christians and political enemies killed

Cambodia requires licenses for guns, owners, ammunition & transactions in 1938......from 1975-1979 two million educated ppl and political rivals killed

Rwanda requires citizens register guns, owners, ammunition, owners must justify
need, concealable guns illegal in 1979..............in 1994 800,000 Tutsi people killed

In the 20th Century:

* Governments murdered four times as many civilians as were killed in all the international and domestic wars combined.
* Governments murdered millions more people than were killed by common criminals.

How could governments kill so many people? The governments had the power - and the people, the victims, were unable to resist. The victims were unarmed.

you say all this is impossible in the US? remember the German ppl ELECTED Hitler..........

They're including a ban on an autoloader? omg....this country is outta this world. Do something useful and work on the economy, and education in science and math. STOP INSOURCING!!!!!

Ill tell you one thing, being born and raised in hunting and proper gun control, this isn't the answer. The gun is not the problem, it is the user, time and time again its a proven fact! The gun does not pull its own trigger or aim itself, the user pulls the trigger, the user loads it and the user aims the darned thing! Whats the big difference between banning an auto weapon or a single shot, each both do damage equally, one does it a little bit faster, bit deal. An army with 100 bolt action sniper rifles are just as effective as 2 machine gunners.

The only remote reason I would even consider owning an automatic gun would be as a showpiece. I would MUCH rather own a 44 magnum or even my fathers .22 short Derringer O/U pistol!

WAKE UP AMERICA

The bill was introduced by one congresswoman, from NY, without any cosponsors. If no one was even willing to even cosponsor it, don't be looking for it to go very far. Just take some deep breaths and try to relax.

thats what they said in '94 Bruce...................................screaming around now is better than starting to scream on the day they vote it into law

Theres THE problem, a woman introduced it.

Not anyone who wants it. YES I did say that but I meant anyone who wants it who has the license.
Well ok than. Im sorry but what you say is the only thing i have to go on.

BOSTON, April 20 - National Guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons were ambushed on April 19th by elements of a para-military extremist faction. Military and law enforcement sources estimated that 72 were killed and more than 20 injured before government forces were compelled to withdraw.

Speaking after the clash, Massachusetts Governor Thomas Gage declared that the extremist faction, which was made up of local citizens, has links to the radical right-wing tax protest movement. Gage blamed the extremists for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices.

The governor, who described the group's organizers as "criminals," issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the government's efforts to secure law and order.

The military raid on the extremist arsenal followed wide-spread refusal by the local citizenry to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons. Gage issued a ban on military-style assault weapons and ammunition earlier in the week. This decision followed a meeting in early April between government and military leaders at which the governor authorized the forcible confiscation of illegal arms. One government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out that "none of these people would have been killed had the extremists obeyed the law and turned their weapons over voluntarily."

"Government troops initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons and ammunition. However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily-armed extremists who had been tipped off regarding the government's plans.

During a tense standoff in Lexington's town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the right-wing extremists. Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange.

Ironically, the local citizenry blamed government forces rather than the extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, armed citizens from surrounding areas had descended upon the guard units. Colonel Smith, finding his forces overmatched by the armed mob, ordered a retreat.

Governor Gage has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor has also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government troops. Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as "ringleaders" of the extremist faction, remain at large.

http://http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/article.asp?ITEM=8

forgot about that............it has happened in the states already hasnt it..........

That's "the shot heard around the world"

So to everyone who hates Bush, picture if he decided 8 yrs wasn't enough and declared himself "Presidente for Life", expanded the "Patriot Laws" as well as restricting other civil liberty's, increased taxes, invaded Iran which would probably set off another "Crusade" or Christian vs. Muslim War, and favored big buisiness more to really make the rich richer and the poor poorer...

What would you do then?

Stage a protest?
So you all could be arrested at once?
They'd use the Scary Big Brother tactics the NYPD used during the Republican Convention at the Garden. They used plastic netting to basically herd people together like fish, catching innocent bystanders who spent the night in jail anyway. & filmed everyone.
Legal? It happened.

Ya, I don't think this would actually happen, who knows if Republicans were still in control of the House & Senate when Bush's term is up.

But I think it's important for us to preserve our heritage for future generations for when the day comes where this might actually be a reality...

I agree that the seat belt law (and similar laws) protect those that aren't the ones in violation. If I accidentally cause a car wreck and the victim is not wearing a seat belt and dies then I am facing vehicular manslaughter and not some lesser vehicular crime. Of course, I did cause the wreck, but it's possible that the person could have survived (depending on the degree of the accident) and then I would not be a "murderer."

Bingo - what Bug and sympathizers fail to realize is that their choice over the seal belt has an impact on other people (no pun intended). Do you have the right to make a choice that will adversly affect me? No, you don't. That infringes on my rights.

I think this could, however, be fixed if they changed the law to state that I, as the person who caused the accident, will not be liable for any damages received by people who are not wearing a seatbelt. That way you still have the choice, and I don't suffer for it.

Doesn't solve the problem that you may be ejected from the car and hit me....but hey, I hit you first, lol.

The problem with Quogue's scenario is that the gun lobby would be on Bush's side of the fence and asking if they can help shoot the protesters.

The problem with Quogue's scenario is that the gun lobby would be on Bush's side of the fence and asking if they can help shoot the protesters.

the gun lobby yes......................most such as myself though cant stand Bush because of the Patriot Act though.................if he is willing to infringe on our other rights hes not above getting rid of the 2nd Amendment............i want Bush out as much as you and Ozzy do BUT Clinton, Obama and their ilk are not a step in the right direction either............they are AS BAD if not WORSE than Bush

Shouldn't catorigize and generalize people like that. Anyway, nobody I know would support a Bush Reich, Gun owners are usually against big gov't, no matter whose.

When you take away our ability to categorize and generalize, only criminals will be able to categorize and generalize.

Back