Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chimps make weapons to hunt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An elk's antler is a product of its own body, and an attatchment. That means it is not a tool in the truest sence of the word

Tool User: Brown-Headed Nuthatch of the pine forests of the south. Uses bark chips to pry open other peices of bark

Woodpecker finch. Uses tools to get at wood grubs

Not tool user: anything that uses its own body part
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the important distinction is... an elk knows how to gore you with its antlers whether it grew up in an elk herd or alone in a zoo. It has an instinct to point the sharp things on its head at you when it runs, plain and simple. Chimps, on the other hand, don't just 'know' how to fish for termites with a piece of grass; a chimp raised in solitary confinement might never display this behavior, because she would have to discover it on her own rather than by simply observing and imitating her troupmates. For that matter, wild chimps that don't share a home range with termites wouldn't know how to do this either, because they wouldn't know that there was anything worth looking for in termite mounds. Chimps demonstrate this type of behavior after (usually) observing other chimps using the same technique - in a loose sense, there is probably some individual chimp that 'invented' that method for gathering termites, and the others have just been riding on that one moment of simian brilliance.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next thing you know they will have automatic weapons. We cannot allow that.
    Boycott Africa!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finch............seedjar wrong.......................after many hours of field work i have discovered an elks true function of their antlers...................

cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not in the least suprised. My readings of Carl Sagan has convinced me beyond any shadow of a doubt that chimps are indeed intelligent. Hell, one baby learned to SAY mama.
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this discovery amazing. It lends more creedence to the idea that tools developed early in human evolution and this had a direct impact on our evolution. Indirectly this finding supports the idea that with tools a greater amount of protein was available in the diet and this in turn allowed the human brain to get larger. These larger brains then allowed more complex tools which netted even more protein etc.

As for the cognitive ablities of chimps they are quite advanced along the lines of a 7 to 8 year old child, though not quite completely equivilent. They have even been shown to be able to read if taught to. They can comprehend small words and phrases and can even reorder letters to create a word. So if they saw ACT they would reorder it to CAT to spell cat and then comprehend it. What chimps really need is a vocal system capable of producing the human range of sounds so they can communicate, organize, and overthrow us. LOL.

I really do find chimps amazing and think maybe I should have been a primatologist instead of an archaeologist.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktulu View Post
    I found this discovery amazing. It lends more creedence to the idea that tools developed early in human evolution and this had a direct impact on our evolution. Indirectly this finding supports the idea that with tools a greater amount of protein was available in the diet and this in turn allowed the human brain to get larger. These larger brains then allowed more complex tools which netted even more protein etc.

As for the cognitive ablities of chimps they are quite advanced along the lines of a 7 to 8 year old child, though not quite completely equivilent. They have even been shown to be able to read if taught to. They can comprehend small words and phrases and can even reorder letters to create a word. So if they saw ACT they would reorder it to CAT to spell cat and then comprehend it. What chimps really need is a vocal system capable of producing the human range of sounds so they can communicate, organize, and overthrow us. LOL.

I really do find chimps amazing and think maybe I should have been a primatologist instead of an archaeologist.
    Chimps taught to sign or type on computers can have vocabularies over 200 words, and they are capable of being interrogative and to challenge a false statement, they are truely intelligent, but they cannot express it the way we can. Just because because an animal isn't able to express themselves in human speach (great apes, dolphins, to a lesser extent my dog) doesn't mean they are dumb. It doesn't sound like much, but the average American has a vocabulary of around 1000 words.

As for our ancestors, the Australopithecus known to most as "lucy" was only about five minutes farther along than chimps in it's development. It was essentially a chimp that lived in open plains and adapted to walk upright to get a better view of it's surroundings. It also found that it's current environment was harsher than the forest, so it had to adapt it's diet to eat whatever it could find, such as carrion, which augmented it's diet with protiens which helped to make her smarter. Since she also now had her hands freed up for walking, she learned to use them better and better, which required greater motor functions. All of these things combined to make a being that slowly but surely grew smarter and smarter.

That, to me at least, sounds awefully similar to the savanna chimps of today.

ps- not arguing with ya ktulu, but rather agreeing with you. Paleontology is a passion of mine, particularly phorusrhacids.
    Chicxulub on Facebook || Chicxulub on Instagram

Fisheries Manager || Biologist || Certified Master Naturalist

Never trust a catfish...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm.... I don't see how an animal can be dumb... dumb doesn't really exist, now does it? dumb is an abstract idea that we created to compare intelligence. I'm dumber than you, someone else is dumber than me, the dog is dumb because it's not a person ; how can we compare lesser genera to us? Even to compare extinct species of humans to ourselves and call them "dumb" is kind of dumb in it's self isn't it? "Dumb" animals are "dumb" because they don't need to be at the same level of intelligence as we are. If they did, they would have evolved, if they couldn't get there and needed to they would have died out. Look at dogs.. can't be that dumb considering we take care of them.

I wonder why we had to evolve to such a great extent.. why did we struggle and have to evolve while the other animals that were around the same time (the ones that are still alive today) didn't?

Did anyone get any of that or is it just a rant that only makes sense to me?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast