What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chimps make weapons to hunt

joossa

Aklys
Article
Short Clip

Chimpanzees living in the West African savannah have been observed fashioning deadly spears from sticks and using the hand-crafted tools to hunt small mammals -- the first routine production of deadly weapons ever observed in animals other than humans.

Using their hands and teeth, the chimpanzees were repeatedly seen tearing the side branches off long straight sticks, peeling back the bark and sharpening one end, the researchers report in today's on-line issue of the journal Current Biology. Then, grasping the weapon in a "power grip," they jabbed into tree-branch hollows where bush babies -- small monkey-like mammals -- sleep during the day.

Scientists have documented tool use among chimpanzees for several decades, but the tools have been simple and used to extract food rather than to kill it.

Some chimpanzees slide thin sticks or leaf blades into termite mounds, for example, to fish for the tasty, crawling morsels. Others crumple leaves and use them like sponges to sop drinking water from tree hollows.

Unlike other chimpanzee sites currently under study, which are forested, this site is mostly open savannah. That environment is very much like the one in which early humans evolved and is different enough from other sites to expect differences in chimpanzee behaviors.

Eventually the research duo documented 22 instances of spear-making and use, two-thirds of them involving females.

After every few jabs, the chimpanzee would sniff or lick the tip, as though testing to see if it had "caught" anything.

:0o: :0o: I find this very cool and interesting. This new observation isn't that surprising (knowing what chimps are capable of), but it is always awesome to see an organism become a bit more advanced(genetically or, in this case, through learned behaivor)…

What are your thoughts?

If we can teach them sign language, and how to do tricks for food its no surprise they can figure some of this stuff on their own.

Very cool. Its sad that the group in question is threatened

Cool. Very, very cool.

Well.. they still can't create fire so I think we have the upper hand! :p

Imagine... chimp arson..

Well.. they still can't create fire so I think we have the upper hand! :p

lol. That is funny; however, there might be some truth to this. I've always wondered (and debated), how other species might have developed if humans weren't around. This is a great step for species out side of humans in development. It seems a lot of animals might develop more sophisticated methods of living if only we would let them; or, maybe I just assume such since there was not a dominate culture around when we started planting crops and developing better forms of communication.

As soon as I read this I thought of Finch!

xvart.

lol. That is funny; however, there might be some truth to this. I've always wondered (and debated), how other species might have developed if humans weren't around. This is a great step for species out side of humans in development. It seems a lot of animals might develop more sophisticated methods of living if only we would let them; or, maybe I just assume such since there was not a dominate culture around when we started planting crops and developing better forms of communication.

Bah, they have had pleanty of time. Billions of years, infact. You snooze, you loose!

As soon as I read this I thought of Finch!

Whatchyoutalkin'bout? :crazy:

LOL, Chimp arson...

...OMG that's so cool...but kind of scary...What if the chimps get angry at us for destroying their enviroment and then they create a mass army to kill us all...what if they figured out how to build banana cannons...and what if they hire elephants as their mercanaries... this is the beginning of World War 3, Chimp versus man...

If they develop banana cannons, they'll soon care more about protecting their right to have those stupid cannons than about anything else.

We evolved the ability to learn from others and that's why we appear so advanced. We stand on the shoulders of giants and, because of that, individual humans don't have to re-invent the wheel or agriculture or whatever. Maybe one chimp developed the startegy of spearing smaller animals and the ability is diffusing out as others watch & learn. With the procedure being refined as it's passed along. That's culture.

That's amazing!!!!
I knew that they were amazing creatures

Bruce is right on. They've already mastered the banana hammock.

Seriously though lol, don't like all of the little tree mammals plan ahead for winter?

Don't dogs bury bones for later?

thats nothing you should see what an elk can do with its antlers :grin:

[Seriously though lol, don't like all of the little tree mammals plan ahead for winter?

Don't dogs bury bones for later?

That would be a behavioral instinct. Birds migrate. Squirrls hibernate. Insects shift life cycles and forms, and also hibernate. All the same. Behavioral shifts do not represent cognitive processes- rather they are intuitive

Ohh ok.
It seems weird that only birds would do this. What about elephants and the bones?

Birds do not only do this- so do we, and it is plauible other mammals do it as well. The study i posted is the first evedence among non-human animals, not the last

on this theme of tool using animals......................................why do elk have long antlers?

An elk's antler is a product of its own body, and an attatchment. That means it is not a tool in the truest sence of the word

BHNU-Dec01-jmcoy.JPG

Tool User: Brown-Headed Nuthatch of the pine forests of the south. Uses bark chips to pry open other peices of bark

03finch.jpg

Woodpecker finch. Uses tools to get at wood grubs

Not tool user: anything that uses its own body part

I think the important distinction is... an elk knows how to gore you with its antlers whether it grew up in an elk herd or alone in a zoo. It has an instinct to point the sharp things on its head at you when it runs, plain and simple. Chimps, on the other hand, don't just 'know' how to fish for termites with a piece of grass; a chimp raised in solitary confinement might never display this behavior, because she would have to discover it on her own rather than by simply observing and imitating her troupmates. For that matter, wild chimps that don't share a home range with termites wouldn't know how to do this either, because they wouldn't know that there was anything worth looking for in termite mounds. Chimps demonstrate this type of behavior after (usually) observing other chimps using the same technique - in a loose sense, there is probably some individual chimp that 'invented' that method for gathering termites, and the others have just been riding on that one moment of simian brilliance.
~Joe

Next thing you know they will have automatic weapons. We cannot allow that.
Boycott Africa!

finch............seedjar wrong.......................after many hours of field work i have discovered an elks true function of their antlers...................

unknown.jpg

Back