Thread: Chimps make weapons to hunt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse Chimps make weapons to hunt

Article
    Short Clip

Chimpanzees living in the West African savannah have been observed fashioning deadly spears from sticks and using the hand-crafted tools to hunt small mammals -- the first routine production of deadly weapons ever observed in animals other than humans.

Using their hands and teeth, the chimpanzees were repeatedly seen tearing the side branches off long straight sticks, peeling back the bark and sharpening one end, the researchers report in today's on-line issue of the journal Current Biology. Then, grasping the weapon in a "power grip," they jabbed into tree-branch hollows where bush babies -- small monkey-like mammals -- sleep during the day.

Scientists have documented tool use among chimpanzees for several decades, but the tools have been simple and used to extract food rather than to kill it.

Some chimpanzees slide thin sticks or leaf blades into termite mounds, for example, to fish for the tasty, crawling morsels. Others crumple leaves and use them like sponges to sop drinking water from tree hollows.

Unlike other chimpanzee sites currently under study, which are forested, this site is mostly open savannah. That environment is very much like the one in which early humans evolved and is different enough from other sites to expect differences in chimpanzee behaviors.

Eventually the research duo documented 22 instances of spear-making and use, two-thirds of them involving females.

After every few jabs, the chimpanzee would sniff or lick the tip, as though testing to see if it had "caught" anything.
    I find this very cool and interesting. This new observation isn't that surprising (knowing what chimps are capable of), but it is always awesome to see an organism become a bit more advanced(genetically or, in this case, through learned behaivor)

What are your thoughts?
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we can teach them sign language, and how to do tricks for food its no surprise they can figure some of this stuff on their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool. Its sad that the group in question is threatened
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Very, very cool.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.. they still can't create fire so I think we have the upper hand!

Imagine... chimp arson..

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRFxtreme View Post
    Well.. they still can't create fire so I think we have the upper hand!
    lol. That is funny; however, there might be some truth to this. I've always wondered (and debated), how other species might have developed if humans weren't around. This is a great step for species out side of humans in development. It seems a lot of animals might develop more sophisticated methods of living if only we would let them; or, maybe I just assume such since there was not a dominate culture around when we started planting crops and developing better forms of communication.

As soon as I read this I thought of Finch!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. That is funny; however, there might be some truth to this. I've always wondered (and debated), how other species might have developed if humans weren't around. This is a great step for species out side of humans in development. It seems a lot of animals might develop more sophisticated methods of living if only we would let them; or, maybe I just assume such since there was not a dominate culture around when we started planting crops and developing better forms of communication.

Bah, they have had pleanty of time. Billions of years, infact. You snooze, you loose!

As soon as I read this I thought of Finch!
    Whatchyoutalkin'bout?
    that makes no logic

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life! neon-eon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, Chimp arson...

...OMG that's so cool...but kind of scary...What if the chimps get angry at us for destroying their enviroment and then they create a mass army to kill us all...what if they figured out how to build banana cannons...and what if they hire elephants as their mercanaries... this is the beginning of World War 3, Chimp versus man...
    -No matter what you do with your life, I still care about you. -Mr P.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast