What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPs in the Monterey Bay area?

• Thread starter jrod
  • Start date
I'll be traveling to the Monterey Bay, CA area at the end of March, and was wondering if there are any good CP greenhouses, gardens, etc. to check out in the area? I'd be willing to drive an hour or so, if there was something especially awesome. Any suggestions?

SF has a conservatory. There are pics 'round here somewhere.

SF has a conservatory. There are pics 'round here somewhere.

That's closer in the league of 2.5-3 hours, probably. I live ~30-40 min from Monterey (depending what part of Monterey you're comin' from) and assuming regular congestion, ~2 hours from SF. If you're willing to make a bit of a drive and are prepared for highway 17, then I'm sure it'd be worth it.

I'm not sure of CP sites (if you find some let me know, lol!) but I do know that the UC Santa Cruz arboretum has some amazing plants. They even have a hothouse with CPs, but last time I went it wasn't open to the public (though you could try your luck now.) They've got some amazing non-cps. UCSC pretty close, less than an hour probably and the drive is much friendlier than to say San Jose or SF.

Hey, I did make it to the UCSC greenhouses while I was in CA. They were small, but the grower was there, and I got to talk with ehr for a few minutes. I didn't get any photos, but there were some magnificent S. leucophylla in bloom. Sitting up on their table, they were taller than I am! Other points of interest were some larger Nepenthes and some interesting cacti and succulents. Worth the trip, but there is such limited space there, that the CP collection couldn't be that big. Thanks for the heads-up!

Sure thing! Sorry I can't think of anything else. I've been meaning to visit a spot or two in San Francisco (which I think JLAP mentioned) but other than that I don't know of anything else local (not that SF is really local...)

I hope you got a chance to check out the rest of the aboretum at UCSC, they really have some magnificent plants. They've got some protea I could spend a while drooling over. lol

At least that school is good for something. :p

Back