Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: An Inconvienient Truth

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knows? Look at the Gates mansion. For the right price you can buy some pretty cool home automation gizmos... I used to rig X10 systems for a contractor back in high school. It's not hard at all to put the individual flues and thermostats in each room on timers to heat and cool at specific times, and for a little more cash you can rig HVAC on motion sensors or other occupancy tracking systems so that air is only active in rooms that are in use. I did special orders that called for much more elaborate setups.
    Finch makes a good point - a large property like an estate isn't just a big house. They might run their own well, and I bet they have a larger-than-normal kitchen. Do they have a stable or a garden? Those raise costs too. There are too many possible explanations to just look at his net consumption in a single number and say it's too much.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You fail to note that Al Gore gets 100% of his electricity from green power (renewable/alternative energy) via Green Power Switch.

I get a percentage of green power for my electricity. My bill is probably 5-10% higher because of it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but I'm sure the mansion is still heated when he's not home
    So do i, if i want my tropical plants to live through winter
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mansion? I do too, for my plants as well. Not a big apartment but I do want to find a better way to heat my chamber. More so for my oil bills

Not a Number, could you tell me about the green power thing? Is it like solar panels and windmills or is it from powerplants that use that sorta thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what i meant. not my mansion. My house... well my parents house. Cant fit all my plants in the dorms.
    that makes no logic

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quogue View Post
    Not a Number, could you tell me about the green power thing? Is it like solar panels and windmills or is it from powerplants that use that sorta thing?
    The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power offers a green power plan - they buy electricity from green power suppliers or generate their own. Power sources are solar, wind, geothermal, hydro and/or alternative fuels. Being sunny southern California plenty of people use solar for heating (water and central) and some electricity.

Green Power Switch is offered through the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Check with your utility company for green energy options.

Living a "carbon neutral" life style doesn't mean you have to give up your standard of living. It just means not adding more CO2 into the environment that you take out of it. You can still drive your SUV as long as you make up for the CO2 emissions elsewhere, like growing CPs and donating to reforestation/conservation for instance.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone who is the self proclaimed "savior" of the earth, he sure does live in a large house. Just because he gets 100% of his power from green power means absoluely nothing to me. Power is power. He doesn't need a house that large. It is hipocritical regardless when he uses that much for what?? Just because he can afford it? He is a moron. You need to lead by example. He wants others to cut, but is not willing to cut himself. I am not saing move to an efficiencey apartment, but heck he doesnt need a mansion. He wants his cake and eat it too while you watch him. He still flies more than the average person. I bet he flew to accept his Oscar too. If anyone has the room to cut back it is a millionaire. He can install the systems like Bill gates has or the systems Seedjar was refuring to. Bottom line is Gore is a loon. He was when he was vice pres and still is.

Global warming is not happening like people say it is. The waether paterns may be changing due to skyscrapers being built and forests being cleared. It is changing the way the winds blow, but Pyro has a point. You cannot predict or see a trend when you do not have a baseline. Plus the data has not been recorded for long enogh to see any long term trends. For all we know these fluctuations we are seeing in our average lifetime are normal climate activity.

BTW here is a question to all the overzelous tree huggers. I mean that in a nice way guys. I do not want to see the rain forrests bulldozed either. I am just not willing to kill to stop it from happeneing like the overzelous guys are. LOL Where does most of the oxygen we breath come from I wil be back later to see your responces.

It is funny how back in the day we, as a people, knew the world was flat. Then we knew the earth was the center of the universe, or that man would never fly. Funny how things change as time goes on.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, though, that current science is the best we have to go on. If we lived our life assuming most of what we know know turned out to be wrong, we may be correct, bit in turn we would know very little indeed.

There isnt a better alternetive than current science. Many anti global warming "facts" take science very loosely to fit the idea that we are such a small part of the world and cannot have an affect on the atmosphere. Well, they are wrong. What affect is open to debate as it is still in the early years, by an affect is happening
    that makes no logic

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast