What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Inconvienient Truth

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
You guys should watch "Amerika" by Rammstein.

Personally, it sucks there are so many poor countries but better them than me is all I can say. Money is power; don't you people listen to Suze Orman?

Many of those countries in abject poverty are also in such dire straights because they either a) don't have a stable government (usually not our fault) or b) they have an oppressive one (admitadly THIS is sometimes our fault), or c) they just can't stop killing each other (not our fault if they want to buy our guns - they'll kill each other anyway, with or without our weapons).

So don't be so quick to blame to worlds ills on our success. Some of it may be cause by us, but most is just because those countries haven't gotten their acts together.

You know, Lauderdale, that a LOT of the crushing poverty worldwide is practically a direct product of the western cult of consumerism, right??
I did not know that. Why did we do that?

I think Schloaty's answer was pretty accurate.

I'll hunt down some links to some shorter, more direct pieces and post them here- not trying to start an argument but I am certain I can prove a few things beyond a shadow of a doubt- and if you want to pre-empt it, try checking out Africa from as many perspectives as you can, I am by no means an expert but I have read enough to understand the hows and whys of some of the miseries on that continent

(and it's not some "blame the west for all the worlds ills" business, I would rather we were in no wise responsible)

I've talked to alot of African cab drivers and I've heard more than a few say they blame a lot of the ethnic strife on European Colonialism.
They point out that the Europeans changed the borders to what they controlled which threw together people who are bitter enemies and separated other groups. Now they left and you have these Countries with people who hate each other fighting it out. And other Countries helping out their ethnic groups in those Countries. See a lotta AK's there, that ain't no American Firearm.
Looks like Europeans love to blame the Americans for the world's strife cause it diverts attention from their own shames.
Not to say we're 100% innocent, but it's not just "The Americans"

Aww boo hoo hoo. So sowwy that the pwoor wittle afrwicans can't get awong :(

That's their problem now, they need to suck it up and shut up and start getting along and work out their differences and stop killing and raping each other and enslaving each other. And America needs to get out of Iraq and do more to help Darfur.

I want to help Africa and it's people a lot, I do, but they need to help us to help them and stop killing each other! Pisses me off to no end.... And these drug companies piss me off, too. They let these poor people die because they can't pay their ridiculous prices! It cost PENNIES to make drugs that they charge these people for and they can't pay it, and people and African countries have to borrow money that we all know they can't repay.

I'm just pissed lol. Sorry for this rant lol.

That's pretty messed up

How is that messed up? It's messed up that i'm sick of them killing and raping each other? And why? Because a bunch of fat white men in power screwed up their borders. Yeah, that was wrong and it wasn't their place, but that was a LOOOONG time ago and is no excuse for what they are doing. And I'm not playing them up to be the bad guys, I love africans, I'm just sick of the BAD africans screwing over (literally and metaphorically) the good african victims. And it pisses me off that we buy their diamonds and we ALL know how they got out of Sierra Leon. I'm really, really sick of everybody all over the world killing each other over stupid crap, over cartoons and diamonds for christs sake! CARTOONS AND DIAMONDS ARE NOT WORTH IT!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!

I wish we could just let all the good guys live in america but we know that will never happen.

For the record I'm not pissed at africans , but the BAD militant groups. I should have been more specific.There should be no ethnic strife! Who cares about ethnicity? We are all the same and when will people get this?

Easy there, no need to flip out man :D

I have found one pretty decent article which, in it's sources, gives a pretty good sized list of references to also check out, but the article is here
It's pretty long, but the problem is REAL complicated- I really hope anyone who holds the "Africa should smarten up" can find it in themselves to finish readin it, I know I learned a bunch of stuff from it and some of the sources cited

Lol, you're right lol. It's been over a week without nicotine and I'm about to kill someone lol.

I still think that's pretty messed up...

HEY......JLAP......settle down, dont make me bring out the traquilizer gun and hot shot again................ :poke:

Ok quogue, please elaborate and what do YOU think we should do about this?

Rattler, can I have it anyway? Please?

It's not about what I think should be done over there, it won't make a difference. I thought that statements like "Too bad for them, they need to get their act together" is kinda cold, that's what I thought was messed up... & getting yelled at for it didn't settle things.
+ looks like something was edited out, doubt it was anything nice.

As for what the Africans need to do? Who knows, maybe it's best left to them and perhaps we shouldn't be rushing in with bogus diplomacy and peace treaties that don't last to secure borders that shouldn't be. Maybe it prolongs things. Europeans have fought the most devastating wars history has seen, and there was no one to come in to "rescue" them from themselves.

To tell you the truth, I really don't know what needs to be done.

Oh yeah dude sorry about that, I wasn't yelling at you I was just yelling out of frustration in general about all of the crap in the world. I'd NEVER yell at someone here. As for editing, I think I changed something (I change almost every post) but can't remember what it was, I didn't edit out anything inflammatory though. Seriously dude I'm SO sorry you took that personally, that wasn't directed at anyone, especially not you. I value your opinion aswell as everyone else's (Well almost everyone :) )

You got it holmes! Message boards are a tough way to communicate, you can never really tell what's being said! I suppose I mistook what was going on as well...

LINK

Re-posted that as I think I hid the link in my post so no-one saw it, it's a decent read but a tad long

If we all woke up tomorrow morning, the same color, the same religon, with the same political point of view and born of similiar ancestors, which we all are, by noon somebody would hate the guy next to him. By midnight there would be a war somewhere.

God created us in his own image...did God mean us to be antisocial? Is God racist?

Back