What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im fed up! Being nice is overrated!

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    care

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Angry ranting!

I am. Well, some of you may have noticed I stopped being nice sort of awhile ago. Well, im just fed up now. All of my life I have tried to be nice. I enjoyed making people happy. Enjoyed being around people. I wanted to go out of my way to help because it was the right thing to do. Say hi. Open doors for people. Things no going well? Let me try to cheer you up. I had advice.

And I hated being inflammatory. Anything that can be said can be said in a civil way. No need to get other people angry. W can just talk this out, blah blah. Ok sometimes I didn’t feel like being all that nice, but tried my best anyways because bad moods affect other people’s days too. Don’t want to let your bad day ruin theirs. Its hard, but I tried to make an effort.
Right?

And know where it gets me? NOWHERE that’s what. It’s a strain to be nice when everyone else think they can just walk right over you, take advantage of your kindness. Over and over again! People who who have only been nice to talk @$%# behind your back. People you think are friend backstabbing you and ditching you cause there too polite to say go away and get fed up. Always making an effort to go see people, to get out there, to be inclusive nly to realize no one cares enough to do it in return. Always making friendly visits to others, having what you think is a good time only to figure out no one ever thinks enough of you to visit you. Hey we are headed blablabla, want to join us? As IF. No one ever says that. No one even tries to make an effort in return, to return favors! Or to try in engage you in a actual conversation. Guess who’s the one always initiating them. With my condition, I cant tell tones of voice of facial expressions, and it only make me try that much harder to make up for my problems.

All that effort, and what is the return? Unanswered phone calls, hearing about things said behind your back- when you try to make an effort not to say anything agains others behind their back and they go and do it to you.

Being nice is its own reward! Not for me! Hahah :-(

Well NO MORE! I cant take the heartache and the strain anymore. Since being nice gets me nothing, then I have nothing to loose now that I have turned bitter. You have to have friends to lose them! Hah. Its been a kind of gradual slide, as those of you I have bit lately have noticed (Ill bet!) but I have just cracked and it takes all my effort now just to sustain emotional stability at a level that is not always condescending and inflammatory.

And guess what? I just don’t care anymore.

Find other people with your condition.

No friends is a very lonely thing. Once I couldn't supply my "friends" with pills, I lost half of them. They weren't REAL friends but they were there.

You need people :)

People? For 7 years thats what i have tried to do, reach the low goal of SOMEONE enjoying my company enough to seek it out. I cant do that anymore. Im... tired

ummm... and what are we? lol. If we didn't enjoy your conversation we wouldn't talk to you :)

Internet friends are still friends I think.

You HAVE to stick with being nice! You will be a better person for it and you will live a more meaningful life. Alotta successful people step on others to get to where they are and constantly in competition with their colleages (not friends). I work in NYC, I deal with sh*t every day, but I'll still hold the door for someone. And that someone might hold the door for someone else, or at least be more likely to than if you let the door close in their face. And for every time someone lets a door close in your face, there probly were 5 people that held it open for you. People always remember the negative things cause it bothers them, but forget about the good things cause they take it for granted.
I hope all this makes sense ad I hope you can let what bothers you roll off your shoulders like rain, I know it's tough but it does become rewarding after awhile and you live a more peaceful and meaningful life that way. Or at least that's my thoughts & feelings on the matter....

Dude I agree with you 1,000,000 percent. People suck. Well not the people here. People here are cool but real life they suck. I have and want no friends. I have my plants (that make me crazy) and animals ( that sometimes make me crazy). That's all I need. Oh yea and football. I go crazy watching the Panthers lose too sometimes. They have so much talent but won't win. Then madden makes me crazy too sometimes. Loonybin here I come where I want my own room cuz I don't like people.

To be honest I can't comprehend how someone can't read facial expressions and tones of voice. I guess it's like trying to imagine being blind or deaf, I can't do it.

I just did a quick search to try to help you out and I found this place.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/

Question!: does this mean we don't hafta be nice anymore? haha...

boy, do i know where your comeing from, im the sterotypically "girls cry on my shoulder nice guy" so to speak and ive had the same sort of results from people as you, crap, i get treated like crap. what gets me is that all the good things happen to the people who dont derserve it. In my example im always being the chivrous nice guy to these colleg girls and what do i get? "o, ur not boyfriend material, your too nice" so they decide they want to go out with the jerk, jock type guy and they get hurt and then they wonder why they can never find a good guy and end up crying on my shoulder again. It takes everything i have i keep it together everyday and not to just start yelling swears at people.

'Cause all the hot jocky sensitive guys are gay :)

All of my life I have tried to be nice....And know where it gets me? NOWHERE that’s what.

I know what you mean Finch. Same here. Being nice often doesn't get you anything but used. And I get tired of it too sometimes. You try to do the right thing and be nice to everybody, be there for everybody, listen to everybody, do for everybody. And sometimes you just get crapped on for it. I could not count how many times I've been told "you're nice and sweet" by the people who ended up stomping on me. I figured I'd put that epitaph on my tombstone.

HOWEVER...even though "being nice" often doesn't net you any return...there ARE some people who appreciate it...and...I still know just for myself...that I did the right thing and at least TRIED to walk a good path in life for myself. Not for anybody else. I can look back and say I never deliberately hurt anyone. There are a lot of people in my life that can't look back and say that. So...I'm nice because I'm that way and...maybe in another life I'll be something more exciting and useful. For now, I'll just keep on being nice until I drop dead from it. I don't know any other way to be.

Don't get too upset...being nice IS the better way to be even if some people around you don't appreciate it. And there are lot of people who's lives you'll touch that WILL see who you are and appreciate it. :)

I cant tell tones of voice of facial expressions

Finch, by any chance have you heard of Aspergers Syndrome? (spelling?)...I'm asking because my brother has that. I know alot about it.

Well I'm a football player so you could say I'm one of those jocks but I'm still a nice guy. I just can't stand being the one people cry to anymore. Then when I tell them to get over it the just say bye and hang up. Then when you need something they are nowhere to be found. So maybe J will be one of them jerks and then I'll have some fun. Don't get me wrong though I can get someone but right now I don't want to. I'm 21, Irish, and we are having 2 St. Patrick's Day here. HECK YEAH!

There is a difference with being overly nice and being reasonable. You don't always have to be nice to people; sometimes, in fact, it is a relief (for everyone) when you are open and honest with people). You don't always have to tell people you are having a good day when you are not. You don't always have to open doors for people; but, there is a point when civility and rudeness cross. Just be honest with people and confront the wrongs that others have caused you.

Is it too personal to ask what the breaking point was or what caused this change?

xvart.

Well I'm a football player so you could say I'm one of those jocks but I'm still a nice guy. I just can't stand being the one people cry to anymore. Then when I tell them to get over it the just say bye and hang up. Then when you need something they are nowhere to be found. So maybe J will be one of them jerks and then I'll have some fun. Don't get me wrong though I can get someone but right now I don't want to. I'm 21, Irish, and we are having 2 St. Patrick's Day here. HECK YEAH!

I'm probably COMPLETELY wrong here, and if i'm out of line let me know, but it sounds like you always try to be the tough guy and you hide your emotions. Maybe you get sick of having people cry on you because you want to cry on someone else but can't.

Just a thought. I really don't mean to offend you and if I did let me know and i'll apologize.

Based on what you've written, I diagnose you as being 19. The cure is to just be who you are and you'll eventually turn 20 something and not worry so much. I can't look at someone I'm talking with and have any idea what they're thinking - whether they want me there or wish I'd get lost. Dating can be kind of like playing darts blindfolded and you'll be unable to see idle chatter is just idle chatter. Like any other handicap, you need to adjust to it, but it's less of a hurdle than what lots of people face and it becomes less significant as you get older.

Aspergers Syndrome? Yeh i have it.

I tried being open and honest, but i guess i must have overdid it when i did. Bad things happened. Never again!

Is it too personal to ask what the breaking point was or what caused this change?

Finally thought i was making progress on the freind front, had a bunch of people i really enjoyed being with. Turns out, er, they didnt enjoy being with me. But they didnt say it to my face! Oh no it must have made the rounds before whisper got round to me, and my roomate commenting that they all had asked him how he can stand being in a room with me! Hah this is like the 3rd time this has happened with different groups of people.

It leaves me really bitter. I do have info that could cause deep fissures in those said people's relationships with eachoter, but revenge is not what i am looking for. Well, cept that one guy :poke:

Revenge is REALLY fun :)

Well, see when people don't like you they don't TELL you that unless they have a personal issue with you (and by you I mean anyone). It's just being nice...although in a mean way. You know what I mean.

I have met multiple peole with aspurgers and they have all been some of the nicest people I have met. I have many complications; mild Tourettes, OCD, and ADD. Me and my brother have, many times, been considered socially akward. My brother recently joined a group for teens with aspurgers. I suggest you do some research for groups around your area. I feel the most comforatable around others like me. Try to spot out others who may be having a hard time as well. I'm sure that there are others out there who would love to meet somebody just like them. somebody more kind and understanding like you. Finch, always stay true to yourself. There are others out there who will befriend you and respect you for it. As you grow older you will find that others become more understanding and more mature. You fill find it easier to find others that are accepting.

Finch, PM me anytime you want. I'd love to chat with you. Trust me, I have been through a lot more than you can imagine. I know we are many states away but I will still gladly be your friend.

-Gabe D.

Well yes I hide my emotions some time. But that's how I've always been. What I wanna know is how can you tell by what I put?

Back