What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone got a home recording studio experience?

Hey folks Ive been contacted by a label who is interested in reissuing my ambinet studio projects ancient material on a best of type compilation and then releasing a new album sometime after. It's been a long time since I did any of this stuff (over a decade) so I was curious if anyone around here does home recording and could tell me anything good or bad about the following equiptment I'm thinking of getting:

Firstly I'm looking at the Korg D3200 32 track digital studio that can have the tracks ping ponged up to 226 tracks (!!) and the final mixes dumped onto CD-R. I was thinking this would be a good piece to remaster the material but the kid at the store said it really would only be able to equalize the music and not really change too much of the physical properties of the original final mixes such as tightening or compression. That would need to be done on a sound computer program, that's out for me as my PC sucks! But it looks like it's be a great recorder/mixer for the new material.

Next for my first new synth I'm looking at the Roland Fantom 7 which has a great set of synth workstation features with soud expansion bays (the optional orchestral sound board looks amazng) and lots of sampling and voice modeling capabilities. Korg Trinity is nice but about twice the price and outt my reach for the big "comback" CD ! lol

Anyways, Is anyone familiar with either of these units, or remastering finalized mixes in general?

SO you have stuff that's been mixed down to a stereo mix already and want to "deconstruct", remix and remaster it?? (is it still gonna be Cerrunnos Woods??)

I have a pretty low-tech setup(all analog unless I choose to run stuff through my mac, and I guess I have a digital guitar effects processing pedal, but everything goes to plain ol tape), and have worked with more complex ones, but wouldn't know how to go about it unless I could record all the tracks myself, ground-up like

I'll ask my super gear-minded buddies about that board and synth tomorrow afternoon when I visit them, hopefully I'll have something to add- and it's good to "see" you again bro, I'd been wondering if your "return" wasn't just a mirage or somethin :D

hey swords, what are you working with here? is this on 1/2" stereo tape, adat, 8 track tape? a little more info would be helpful to those that might know (i'm MORE than a little removed from what's current).
if you had the ability, a nice protools setup would be the way to do it i'd think. maybe there's a local studio that you can rent out?

tech...

Well, I went ahead and scored the KORG D3200! I was able to get credit at Guitar Center so... here we are way deeper in debt but having fun! :)

What I need to do is dump a collection of my old stuff onto a CD R for the label and if possible make the old stuff sound a bit better. All material is finalized and coming from either normal mixdown master cassette for rare tracks that were used on compilations or demos or whatever or the finished retail CD. I've got the correct conversion cords for going from my tape & CD monitors into the new unit. I suppose EQ is about all I can do but there's a ton of features on this thing I may be able to do some track quantinizing, compression, extra reverb where needed, etc. I've got a small phonebook to read on how to operate the thing! I wont be able to adjust the individual instrument levels anymore but hopefully it'll work well for a quick clean up job for some reason they want this best of done by April while I have a year to do the new material.

Back