What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My cat may be in danger, HELP!

I brought in a bunch of plants earlier this evening because it's supposed to drop below freezing tonight. Not wanting to take any chances I brought them inside.

I was distracted for a short bit and came back to find that one of my cats had eaten most of a baby Sundew that I have. I've read on many websites that the Sundew is listed as a plant toxic to pets and humans.

Does anyone know to what degree the plant is toxic? Is my cat is severe danger? I'm not entirely sure what to do.

It's late on a Sunday evening, so I'm not positive there's anything I can do before tomorrow morning, but depending on how toxic the plant is....

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the plant isn't toxic, but I've heard it used for some sort of medical drugs before though.

-Ben

It's fine, don't worry.

They used to use certain species (D. rotundifolia maybe?) for a cough syrup ingredient.

The only plant that's known to contain any drug that may be harmful is S. flava, and you'd need a buttload of nectar for the coniine to kill you.

I feel a little bit relieved. You guys seem pretty confident that it's not toxic. Has anyone here had a pet do the same? What were the results?

I'll likely call a vet tomorrow. Hopefully they want give me the generic "let's pump the stomach" answer to milk me for money. :-(

Ive had many friends with pets that have consumed many varieties of their collection and nothing has even happened. You can rest easy!

Plenty of people have had plant pieces eaten by pets. If you're worried, call the poison control centre. I'm sure your cat will be fine. :)

My cats have chomped on sundews before and have been fine. I'm pretty sure theres nothing toxic at all about them.

Thanks for the all the info guys. My cat seems to be ok so far.

Now about that Sundew...it's been munched to bits, is there any hope for it?

If the center growth point is intact, it might be ok. Don't just pitch it. Give it some time to regrow.

Also it depends on what species it is...you didn't mention that. Some 'dews will regenerate from the root (i.e. D. regia). If its a stem-growing 'dew...I dunno. Rosetted...might recover if the center crown is intact.

Hard to say. Got a pic?

Here are the pre and post munch images. I've only had this plant for 3 days. :(

premunchdroserabq9.jpg

muncheddroserazz5.jpg

Thats a D. adelae. As long as there is even a speck of root tissue in the pot there is hope for life. I wouldnt worry about it.

My cat is well known for eating my plants, (recently she ate the growth points off of 4 different Nepenthes :censor: ). So far she is still going strong.

Cheers
Steve

Back