Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Only in Kalifornia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At our old house there used to be a squirrel that woud rush us when we went in the back door. It would come flying off its tree and right at us. Thats until I kicked it half way across the yard one day. Then it never came out of its tree when I was around for some reason. As a side note squirrels fly quite well and actully land on their feet oddly enough.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    yes but im worried about a pellet gun being able to stop a charge.........what if you just wound it? then yah got a torqued off squrrel that REALLY wants a piece of you!
    There are "pellet guns" out there that are strong enough to humanely kill moose, deer, buffalo, etc (some shoot a 700gr. slug at over 1,000fps for about 1400 ft./lb. of energy!) . I have one that is stronger than my .22LR rifle. After the squirrels dug up a few of my plants, I had an excuse to get rid of them. I haven't seen another one in over 6months....
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    what they need are a few birds of prey. there was this hawk that lived on campus my sophomore year. it lived above the quad and feasted on the huge population of squirrels which were fat from dining hall food. I particularly liked it when the hawk would rip apart a squirrel carcass for the passing crowds of students to see.
    That is a good idea. I'll bet there is someone in the region that practices falconry. I heard of Airports using birds of prey to limit the population of birds so that the danger of sucking them into an engine is reduced. Also, what can an animal activist say to a bird of prey doing what it is born to do?

Personally if they love squirrels soo much, and the people of the city are willing to pay for it. Have at it, not my money going down the drain.
    -Doug

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it&#33 but 'That's funny ...'
    -Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Falconry is great for campuses or landfills, but it's going to be a bit of a liability in residential areas in Santa Monica. The same folks who don't want the squirrels to die will throw a fit the moment little Jack Russel disappears. Which might be an issue in a town where the average citizen could sue the haggis outta you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are two links about the problem from Santa Monica's website:

http://www.smgov.net/cityclerk/counc...dSquirrel2.pdf

http://www.smgov.net/cityclerk/counc...trolUpdate.pdf

The first looks like the initial plan and the second is a month later. Earlier attempts had been tripped up by people who maybe didn't like the idea of feeding flea-ridden squirrels to raptors in rehab. As an aside, it isn't clear if those raptors are liberal or conservative. But, returning to the topic at hand, I think those links show a government trying to solve a problem while being sensitive to the differing opinions of the people. I doubt many of us are accustomed to that and it's something to admire.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was bit by a squirrel when I was 6, it bit me right through my fingernail. I had to get a tetanus shot (I think) and it bled a lot, but I didn't get any plague. I had a squirrel friend when I was younger. I would come home from school and open our sliding door, couple minutes he would be there and I would sit on the couch with him and feed him peanuts while we watched cartoons, lol. It was cute, he was a black squirrel so I named him Blacky. I was so sad when we had to move
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what we need to be doing is shooting the baby machines in our welfare system with birth control darts when they go pick up their checks.
    Huh? Last time I checked, it took BOTH a "baby machine" AND a "sperminator" to make a baby. So if you're aiming any birth control darts, make sure you shoot both.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that the BC for the squirrels has not only made them aggressive to other squirrels, causing squirrel on squirrel crime, but it has also caused a surge in their brain power giving them the ability to construct weapons.

See what happens when we fool around with mother nature.

Pak as soon as they develop a BC dart for men I will be all for shooting them too when they go pick up their checks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast