Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give Robots their RIGHTS!

Fancier of The Insectivorous Plant Christopher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeztor View Post
    If you look any nearly any movie or sci fi book regarding Robot issues of the future lots of the address ethics.

Inevitably, humans will feel that robots are lifeless, soulless, slaves of burden. Whether you believe this to be true or not, if we continue to develop a robot to the point of being aware of self identity then these questions will become real.

The "Animatrix" was a series of short films (about 1h30m long) that were designed to show viewers the events that led to what we saw in the trilogy of "The Matrix". This very issue what was caused all the problems. It's interesting to watch and the reactions of humanity....well, I found myself thinking "this is EXACTLY how this would have happened".

I watched the Animatrix!! That was some really disturbing stuff! It disturbs me to think that something like that may very well occur in the future. Hmmm...
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned Isaac Asimov
    As for Battlestar Gallactica, the original was really religious... it had Lorne Greene in it after all
    And for the Animatrix, I'm all about the animation in it. Especially the magical warehouse one with the girl with the star on her face.. great, natural character movement
    It was interesting seeing more of the stories of the Matrix, but I thought the Matrix was over-rated anyway...

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeztor View Post
    I was aiming less in the direction of "should we give robots rights" and more in the direction of "when will robots begin taking rights for themselves"?
    This is what I was hinting at as well. Whether or not they are lifeless and soulless is irrelevant if they are eventually so connected that they are able to technologically evolve themselves into more efficient entities. Eventually, robots and machines will see humans as a waste of space since we have feelings and emotions which only negatively effect our production output and efficiency; something of which I think the robots would disapprove.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What better way to get scientific funding than sending a gimmicky load of rubbish into the media?

Does a Blu Ray drive have more feelings than a DVD player?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's kind of nihilistic to say that robots will enevitably deem humans as inefficient and wasteful due to our emotional nature... If you're saying that robots are going to evolve intellect, then surely you should admit that a major behavioral feature of a species (in this case, emotions) probably has evolutionary utility. Outside of the Star Trek universe, it's yet to be determined if emotion is truly a detriment to productive reasoning; I would be willing to be that there is no strong evidence to show that human-scale intellect can be accomplished without behavioral quirks such as emotions.
    Nevertheless, I would say it's entirely reasonable to tackle this question now. We really don't know enough about cognition or the information-processing capabilities of modern computers to say that an intelligent machine won't happen. Already, self-replicating computer programs in the form of viruses and other malware are churning out thousands of new copies of themselves every day over the internet, and although error-checking in modern computers is probably a little better than that of DNA, it's plausible (although not likely) that some of these malicious executables might mutate and eventually come to evolve without the assistance of human tinkerers. More importantly, we do have tinkerers working on artificial intelligence and other fields of adaptive computing, and so it's not really just a matter of chance; the military is sponsoring research in intelligent autonomous vehicles and artillery, private sectors are researching algorithms that automatically reprogram themselves to predict flows in the stock market, and the academic sector is working on all sorts of projects in between. Even if it is a long shot, we should take responsibility and think about these issues before things get complicated. What if civil liberties and civil rights had happened before Europe took up the mass practice of indentured servitude? We have a chance to avoid what could be a very dangerous situation, so even if it seems a little silly and make believe, I think we owe it to ourselves to look ahead. We've already learned this type of lesson before.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eventually, robots and machines will see humans as a waste of space since we have feelings and emotions which only negatively effect our production output and efficiency; something of which I think the robots would disapprove.
    Um... not only is future guessing very often wrong, but mindreading something that does no exist yet? I think any assuptions of this kind are very premature at best

might mutate and eventually come to evolve without the assistance of human tinkerers
    viruses themselves evolve, but yet there is still debate on whether they are living- do robots need to be intelligent to be living? Life does not.
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe I made reference to the matter of life... "Living" is a hazardously subjective term.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no you didnt. that was my train of thought
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast