Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Give Robots their RIGHTS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he/she meant computer viruses might eventually evolve, not the other virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh i know. But i was trying to understand how that had anything to do with artificial intelegence unless he was suggesting it would evolve into something intelligent
    Last edited by Finch; 03-08-2007 at 09:24 PM. Reason: ATLEAST THEY HAVE EVOLVED ENOUGH TO KNOW HOW TO SPELL "intelligent" CAUSE GOODNESS KNOWS I CANT!
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally, in the TV show "Battlestar Galactica" there is a similar debate many years in the future. A race of robots called the Cylons have created their own organic race of people. Humans created the Cylons, but Cylons created a species that was a mix of human beings and robot such that humans couldn't tell the difference. The species was organic with mostly organic organs, but still had many computer-like components on the inside. At that point, though, they bred THEMSELVES. Now are they real?
    What's even more pertinent, I think, is the revelation (I think in season 2?) that the 'skinjobs' (humanoid Cylons) learned from humanity's mistake with them: Their war-robots and raiders (ships) are only about as smart as monkeys, with no real higher brain capacity. They won't rebel because they just don't have the capability.

Honestly, I suspect that true, human-level AI will be a rarity even once we invent them, simply because lower-level AIs will be sufficient for most jobs, and probably cheaper.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two things which will never exist:

1. A time machine
    2. A man made machine that has feelings, ie. is alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. A time machine
    And your basis for this is what, exactly? Our feelings are just a product of a bunch of nerves wired together, so why can't we do that with actual wires?

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about viruses ( is that right?) and they aren't alive... but they do things you know... it's weird they aren't alive but it's weird.... I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words lol. I mean REAL viruses by the way, not computer viruses. Maybe someone will know what I mean and try to extrapolate that lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post

1. A time machine
    I heartily disagree with you.

Not because of the items you mention, but because you use the word "never" with regard to a realm in which our knowledge is not even yet strong enough to refute that they'll ever exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I was thinking about viruses ( is that right?) and they aren't alive... but they do things you know... it's weird they aren't alive but it's weird.... I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words lol. I mean REAL viruses by the way, not computer viruses. Maybe someone will know what I mean and try to extrapolate that lol.
    I understand what you mean. Viruses aren't classified as "alive" because they don't meet certain criteria that science generally considers as something being "living", but they're very much alive in the sense that they perform actions purposefully, and they have existed in prior forms which they exist in no more having developed new ones.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast