What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warning to Atlanta area growers

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I suggest that all Atlanta growers keep a sharp eye on their collections. I believe someone has "found" me and is liberating my plants. Last night discovered that my 'Leah' and a portion of my lecuo x umlauftiana appear to have been stolen. At first I thougt it was maybe just that animals had gotten the 'Leah' but when I found the leuco x umlauf had been uprooted, broken into parts and "replanted" (read: carelessly placed back in the hole) I got suspicious. That the tags for both are also missing and that some of the sphag mounds also appear to be missing has pretty much convinced me. Looks like I may have to start keeping the Doberman outside at night now.

Guess I should be thankful that whoever did it was so stupid they failed to recognize the really valuable plants. And that they did not go after the plants in the crawlspace (which is now outfit with a lock.)

I am so pissed!!:censor: :censor: :censor:

Holy Poop!!!! I'm sorry!!!
I would be pissed too!!!

Actually..I would be sitting outside tonight with a paintball gun, rope, and a knife to slash their tires.

Sorry to hear that Pyro. We don't have many CP people down here, but I keep a VERY large English Mastiff in the yard. The only thieves I get (in rare cases) are the occasional black birds and rodents. I have noticed, however, that birds like to take tags and sphagnum for their nests, Although, they aren't considerate enough to "replant" anything they've uprooted. Keep an eye out and try to find out who did it.

sorry to hear about that Pyro, I didn't realize some plants where expensive enough for some to consider stealing them. There's quite a few cheap options out there for night time video surveillance if your curious to see whats happening. I've found that a flash bulb and motion sensor tends to be enough to deter most opportunists after the first attempt.

now THAT is something to get right steamed over man, very sorry to hear this :censor:

You know, since the one at least is a "money" plant, you might be able to keep an eye on the commerce of it and find the culprit (E-bay maybe??)

If I sees any mention of it where it doesn't seem right, you will be the first to know- even if it's just a long-shot, man, I hope you find 'em and at LEAST make them sorry for this...

Okay, anything more would require language too strong for this board- I hope Doggie gets a pair of pants for dinner sometime soon

I'm sorry to here that, mang. It may be worth contacting police.

I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Maybe you could buy some old broken video cameras and put them in your plant area with a sign like "Smile, you're on candid camera." Might make someone leave quickly if they came back to do harm.

Doesn't Tony P. booby trap his GH? Sorry to hear about your loss!

Ugh. That's infuriating.

Why must people be so selfish and inconciderate? :rant:

Where are these plants that they're easily accessable to potential theives? Even a motion sensing light might be enough to discourage further forrays into your goods.

Do you think it is someone who knows their CPs? Or just someone who was like, "that's a cool plant... I want it!" and then stole it? How disappointing.

xvart.

Thats BS. You think it was a night or day robbery? Or in absence of you at your house?

Wow dude sorry! That's pretty low.

Takes a small person to steal plant.

My bog is on the back side of my house in my fenced yard. So not visibe from the road.

I am not sure what to think of who it might have been. That I was struck implies someone local. But I think I know all the local growers and I have met all but 3 of them. I hate to think it was one of them but I guess it is possible...

As for whether or not the person knew CPs. Again, only CPers would know that I have a bog and where it is which again implies someone local (or I guess passing through.) That the 'Leah' was snatched suggests to me that the person knew what it was because the plant is not right out from in the bog and after being outside all winter it looks pretty crappy. They had to go off the lable. And even that does not make much sense because if they were lable reading then how could they miss the oreos and the montana and a few other uber-rare types? Unless they are complete morons...

When it was done is questionable. I am inclined to say recently because the leuco x umlaf was not showing signs od stress despite not being rooted in the ground. Of couse I keep the bog rather wet even in winter and there was still soil mass arounf the roots so... If it was done while we were here it would have to have been done at night because my wife is home and the dogs are out all day. It is possible it was done while we were out of town over Pres weekend but I did not tell anyone I was going out of town...

Yet another argument for that Remmington shotgun for home defense. Definitly getting motion hookups for the lights

That IS really low.... I would say report it to the police (even though they may give you a blank stare) so if you catch him in the future, there's a record to go by.
Do you guys have the "Castle Laws" Cha-Chak...:devil:

Start questioning the ones you don't know! Be inconspicuous about it.

Wasn't me :) I live in the metro but an hour away from the ATL lol.

I don't think the cops will do crap to be honest. Get a little motion sensing camera for next time they go back, an infrared one, too. Look for plants on sale on Ebay and people posting pics of their new Leah and see if it's the same plant.

Thats really screwed up. You should really report it to the police. I'm sure if you mention how expensive Leah is sold for they wouldn't take it lightly.

Maybe the reason they left the oreos and montana alone are because they can't sell those.

Cops won't do anything but file a report. And if the guy gets caught, the report comes up and there's something to get him with. Especially if he hits again.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I also agree with leaving your dog outside.

probably someone that has at least a basic knowledge...i mean they dug it up and snapped the rhizome

I would've gone straight for the montanas...I've been trying to get those back in my collection :devil:

I'm inclined to think it was a CPer. I don't think the average thief would steal plants (much less dig one up). And they knew how to find you...that should help you narrow it down.

Back