User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS THIS SOUTH AFRICAN CARNIVORE?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the calender and I decided that it would be best if I just not comment on this topic at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0zzy View Post
    I looked at the calender and I decided that it would be best if I just not comment on this topic at this time.
    What is it your day off?

That just looks like some of my dried out VFT's a while back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyways. i think 0zzy is talking about April fools this would have been a great one 0z man!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting plant. Funny no one mentioned the beautiful sundews in the first photo.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    Interesting plant. Funny no one mentioned the beautiful sundews in the first photo.
    THANK YOU!
    I will be posting up some very good images of a Drosera next week-end or as soon as I can get my current journal on Selaginella done enough this week for launching.

And if I can find out what that plant is then it will be identified and I will probably move it to another page such as other plants. While it is a look-a-like of sorts of a Venus Flytrap I am fascinated by its appearance and hope to find an explanation for the inturned "bristles" (if this is what they are).
    If they were out-turned then the explanation as a protection against
    predation would make sense. Obviously these structures enable this plant to survive. But the only possibility I can see is, if this area undergoes any drought and the drosera species you see growing next to it are annual or die back to the ground to survive, as a way of collecting and holding water droplets or even condensation but ? The only other explanation would be a passive carnivorous activity if these bristles could actually hold an insect or a worm or ?? for other insects or predators to assimilate and any by-products could be used by this plant
    I think it would be interesting to find out!

I like the suggestion that it may be some kind of Faucaria. but I do not think that this genus has any members that grow in boggy situations even during only part of the year.

And this was not meant to be funny but I definitely can get into the humor!
    What I really find interesting is that it only points out the possibility that there may yet be new unknows carnivorous plants out there!!! Seymour notwithstanding!!

Will note on this thread when I am able to get some images up of a real carnivorous plant.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some location information would be helpful in identifying this plant. South Africa covers a lot of territory. At least list the biome.

And what species is that Drosera? spatulata? I would think if Birhmann was hunting for Drosera he would at least have attempted to ID them. Why no close-ups of the Drosera in his Drosera log? Aren't those real CPs?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Some location information would be helpful in identifying this plant. South Africa covers a lot of territory. At least list the biome.

And what species is that Drosera? spatulata? I would think if Birhmann was hunting for Drosera he would at least have attempted to ID them. Why no close-ups of the Drosera in his Drosera log? Aren't those real CPs?
    Good point.
    I believe I mention the area on the home page. It is Bergplaas.

He was not hunting for Drosera. He was exploring to see what he could
    find of interest. Initially it was for mosses and liverworts but then he ran across these other plants.

I do not think he is familiar with carnivores on the species level. Nor am I.
    And as I have already mentioned I shall endeavor to post up images of the Drosera next week-end. I have other work to do first and then sort through the 60? or so images he has sent since the first ones that I have even really dealt with except for a general web journal of some mosses, lycopodiums?, liverworts, and selaginellas? All of these plants are relatively new to him as well as to me. Finding the people who know these plants is hard enough. Finding those that are willing to help id them is even harder if not impossible. I shall do what I can.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast