Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wipe out a single memory - news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that could be a good tool to help curb the divorce rate in this country.
    If troubled couples didn't care to use it, they might be able to use it on the
    traumatized children left in their wake.

I think I'll opt-out, I have a lot of pleasant memories that I'm gonna hang on to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the same token, how do we know it doesnt? I think the brain is not a hard drive; memory cannot be truly
    it seems more like this drug allowed them to overwrite the old bad memory with a neutral one
    overwrited either, so where do you draw the line in terminology of brain as a hard drive, exactly? And where do you have evidence for that? You dont know that either- substituting your own explination on how a study came to its results, i cannot help but be dubious of that. We dont now for certain anything, as this is A preliminary study. At the same time, you don’t know it does not, either. No one does. That’s why we need… more study
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we do know that memories aren't really localized - there's no neuron in your brain that means the color blue. And based on what we know about how neurons communicate with one another, the field of neural networks does shed some light on the basic constraints of neuroanatomy. I'm not needlessly speculating here; from what we do know about how the brain works, things like sensations and simple memories are localized in groups of neurons, but one individual neuron might play a part in the neural action of dozens of different such memories. When you take neurons out of a neural system, you don't remove individual memories - you diminish the system's ability to recognize stimuli in general. That's why I say it seems less likely that this technique is removing memories and is more likely overwriting or reassociating them; it sounds to me that the experiment perhaps leaves the mice with a more recent, tangible memory of hearing the tone for the first time and not getting shocked and that was what caused them to not fear the tone. (Because they had drug-induced amnesia, the tone would seem new even though it was not.) In any case, my real point was that it's hard to say what happened to individual memories, because all we are really observing is behavior.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok. I see where your coming from
    that makes no logic

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few memories I wouldn't mind wiping out.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12