Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Time to expand!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to expand!

OK, so now that i have kept my first vft alive more a couple of months now, im thinking its time to add new specimens to the collection. Now i'm wondering which species should i get next. I'm still a beginner i guess, so something i need something that's pretty hardy. Preferably non-hibernating. I was thinking about purchasing Nepenthes ventricosa, as they are pretty hardy plants, but they also require a hibernation period as well if im not mistaken. Also, ive seen most people have theirs hanged up. Im a terranium grower, so will that affect it at all? How big do they get? I've seen some pictures of some HUGE pitchers, but probably not the same species. I also took a look at **********.com and they had this really cool looking plant, Drosera Graminifolia. SOOOO... any suggestions to the next member of the collection??

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place. Mod plz feel free to move if necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Personally, I would suggest a Sarr... but you say your a terrarium grower...
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a sunny window to hang a plant in? Since you're in the Bronx, I'm guessing you don't have much space, inside or out for plants. Tell us what kind of growing spaces you have and I'm sure you'll get more than enough suggestions.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i do have a windowsill to grow on, though not very large. Also, im a bit apprehensive as to growing outside due to all the squirrels and birds and such. I cant hang any plants up due to the space so i guess im aiming more towards terrarium plants.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes ventricosa does not go dormant. No nepenthes have a dormancy period. Nepenthes can have tiny tiny or huge pitchers and the plants themselves are vines so they can only get as big as you let them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can they be grown in a terrarium?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but you'll have to hack them back eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you'd probably get some good results with potted rosetted sundews: My D. spathulata and D. aliciae have been happily growing under a CF bulb for over a year now.
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.