What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Couey sentenced to death!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Thank god! Justice has been served for Jessica Lundsford, the poor 9 year old girl he raped and buried alive in Florida. What a tragedy.

I don't know anything about this case. Can somebody summarize it in 50 words or less?

Have you ever heard of Jessica's Law? FYI- Jessica Lundsford, 9 years old living in west central Florida was abducted, raped and buried alive by John Couey. She was abducted from her own home and he only lived a quarter mile away. He lived in a small trailer with three other people and they are trying to tell authorities that they saw and heard NOTHING while he kept this little girl in his closet for three days in the same trailer!! I'm willing to bet anyone those three will be prosecuted shortly! This all happened on Feb-24th 2005. Couey led authorities to her body. He shows NO REMORSE at all and even called the little girl the "B" word and said that she got what she deserved, he said this in court infront of this little girls' family. It's sickening!

Last edited:
Here is a pic of Jessica.

image676567x.jpg

This is a tragic thing--I agree. Have you heard that his defense is trying to eliminate death for him since he has an IQ of 64 and the mental capacity of a five year old?

My 11 yo daughter had a scary thing happen this weekend. She was staying with a friend Sunday afternoon. When I picked her up, she told me that the girl's 16 yo brother followed her around the entire time, asked her if she knew how to kiss, told her that he could teach her, told her she would be 'hot' in a couple of years...you get the picture.

She won't be going back and I'm glad nothing more happened as I would probably be in jail myself for acting on my desire for vengeance.

JBL- I'm sorry that happened to your daughter! Did you confront his parents??

JBL- I'm sorry that happened to your daughter! Did you confront his parents??

Good question. My wife has asked that she do it--probably for the best. Parents can get defensive about this kind of thing and she was afraid that I would lose my cool. She has not been able to reach the mom. My son told me that this kid was kicked out of our schoold district and that he has a reputation of doing these things and rage. One incident ended with him choking a kid until she turned purple. I 'thanked' him for letting me know this after I sent my girl there...I fear for the safety of their daughter and any kid in contact with him.

wow, yeah that's too bad.
I heard something on Lex and Terry (Radio Talkshow) about it a week or so ago.

JBL -If I had a daughter and that happened I'd be pretty mad...and probably confront the kid

I'm glad your wife wants to confront the parents, I think this is important. Something like this should not go unnoticed. His parents need to know. Also if he was kicked out for doing such things, THEY should have not allowed your daughter to sleep over.

Eww.. children are not sexy. When will people realize this?

Anyway, I don't think he should get the death penalty.... I think life in prison is way worse than death. Give me the choice between life in prison and the death penalty and I'll pick death.

Yeah, that is true JLAP. Life in Prison Solitary Confinement would be even better.
Even though I sometimes enjoy being in a quiet dark room with no one in it for a while, after a certain point I need to get out and have some human contact.

I find it truely sad that one human being can do this to another. It just furthers my point of view that humans are vile creatures and the worst creation of what ever it is that put humans on earth.

I find it truely sad that one human being can do this to another. It just furthers my point of view that humans are vile creatures and the worst creation of what ever it is that put humans on earth.

Don't you consider that view a bit pessemistic?

As for the death sentence... eh... I'd rather have him kept around doing enough work to monetarily "justify" his existance (even if that sounds odd.) No parole, no chance to ever hurt another person.

When it comes to sentencing death I find myself making some pretty inconsistent decisions, but people who take advantage of the very young or very old by removing life have, in my eyes, just forfeit theirs.

It was an appalling case. Buried alive?? As if everything else he did wasn't bad enough... She was buried with her favorite purple stuffed animal. :(

He got what he deserved and they need to be quick about it. He showed extreme cruelty in the act itself and has shown no sorrow or remorse. He'll have a far more humane death than did Jessica.

I hate to spoil the party here, but, he was not sentenced to death. In Florida in death penalty cases the jury makes a recommendation. In this case it was a 10-2 vote in favor of the death penalty. The jude decides the actual sentence. He officially will not be sentenced until sometime in April. Even if he does receive the death sentence the actual time line in Fl is about 22 years of appeals and whatnot.

They should just sentence him to life. I'm sure the other inmates will take care of him.

I think the victims family should have a huge impact in the sentence of people like this. I think prison should be for the people that are a danger to society. Not people like martha Stewart, of Jack Kevorkian.

If this was my daughter and I got to decide his punishment I would have him tied to a fire ant hill until he died. This is even way to good for him in my opinion.

JBL, I think you need to go to the police with this. While there is not much that they can do because it will turn out to be his word against hers case, but with his prior history, it will establish a pattern with him. So that when this guy finally closes the line there will be more evidence that he has done this before and will do it again. If there is no established pattern then he'll probably serve less than a year when he is caught for something.

There's not much you can do to protect his next victim, but if you establish a pattern he can get a stiffer penalty and it can protect the first victim after he is released from jail.

It's really sad that we can't do something before these people strike. Just like with JBL's daughter, if somebody had made a big deal about this before his daughter stayed the night , I'm sure he wouldn't have let her go. It's so easy to see that this person is going to be just like the guy in fl. We should be able to at least force these guys into therapy.

I dunno, Ozzy, this kid is what...16 years old? Not exactly an established master sexual predator. By all means notify the parents and scare the kid, get the word out, but he hasn't broken any laws here. There's a pretty long shot between saying or thinking these things and doing them. At least with things as serious as this.

if anything, depending on which state you guys live in, the kid could be put in a counseling program + community service - thats if this was addressed to the cops and his family.

Back